Does anyone do blacksmithing? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Does anyone do blacksmithing?

Does anyone do blacksmithing?

Was thinking of taking it up as a hobby, and I've seen a few things on the internet about it, but wondered if there was anyone here that liked to do it.

A very close friend of mine does it regularly, and he actually just sold a bunch of his old stuff (at a very, very steep discount) to my brother who desires to take up the hobby. I've helped him (my friend) out with a couple of things, and I've even done a little banging myself, but it's not a hobby I see myself taking on, particularly when I want to build a boat.

While I have taken a few courses, I am far from good at it and I'd never be able to make a living off it xD.

I've done a little bit, but I don't have access to the right tools to really do a decent job at it.

Just wanted to see how hard it was to get into... I've read up on it on the internet and seem some vids.

Probably want to just start out with knives, if I do.

I've done jewelry-making, but no true blacksmithing. It is something I want to get into, and I certainly plan on asking the smiths at my local Renn Faire.

anvil, hammers, forge (I recommend propane for starting) tongs - gets expensive at first. a good hammer is over $50 and an anvil is between $300 and $500 for a smaller one. A forge will be close to $500 and tongs should be about $40 apiece - coal forges are better but bulkier and more time consuming to get going. then you get into the specialized tools...