Quick questions and answers - Page 205 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaguineapig View Post
Are there any good mounted classes in DnD 3.5?
I understand that Paladins are fun to play...

I'm not aware of any that are even approaching 2nd or 3rd tier, if by 'good' you meant 'able to contribute meaningfully'

Open/Close
Quote:
Target: Object weighing up to 30 lb. or portal that can be opened or closed
You can open or close (your choice) a door, chest, box, window, bag, pouch, bottle, barrel, or other container. If anything resists this activity (such as a bar on a door or a lock on a chest), the spell fails. In addition, the spell can only open and close things weighing 30 pounds or less. Thus, doors, chests, and similar objects sized for enormous creatures may be beyond this spell’s ability to affect.
It seems to me that the majority of people-sized doors weigh more than 30lbs, especially if they're anything besides cheapo-wood construction.

In my particular case, the spell is being used to attempt to open a dungeon door. While it isn't barred or locked, the door itself is made of stone(with a magical opening mechanism/technique) - therefore, am I correct in assuming the spell would fail?

A stone door? Yeah, I'd say that's safely well beyond the 30lb limit. I think most normal construction man sized doors should be valid targets for the spell, but stone is right out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaguineapig View Post
Are there any good mounted classes in DnD 3.5?
Well, the knight gets mounted combat as a bonus feat, and the cavalier prestige class gets some nice mounted abilities.
(They can be found in PHB II and Complete Warrior respectively if I'm not mistaken). Even if you take the paladin as a base class (as Dastir suggested), the cavalier is still a solid cavalry-based prestige class: the mount abilities have synergy with the paladin's mount, and the cavalier class allows you to continue leveling up as a paladin even after taking cavalier levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
I'm not aware of any that are even approaching 2nd or 3rd tier, if by 'good' you meant 'able to contribute meaningfully'
Pst. Totemist. Stupidly high handle animal checks allow you to go:

Riding Bracers (bind to totem) + train-your-own Warbeast mount.

At level 8, I had a Warbeast Razorboar (16 HD), with Evasion, and could handle him as a free action.

and if you *must* have a special mount, Wizard/Zhentarim Skymage.

For real hilarity, a Wu Jen who took Obtain Familiar and cast Minute Size could ride her familiar.

I must admit that I'm not particularly familiar with the capabilities of incarnum classes, nor even of the existence of a class by the name of Zhentarim Skymage
And a Wu Jen with a familiar and Minute size...that's just cheating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
I must admit that I'm not particularly familiar with the capabilities of incarnum classes, nor even of the existence of a class by the name of Zhentarim Skymage
Incarnum is... afflicted with Dissociative Identity Disorder. I highly suspect that the soulmelds were made by at least 3-4 separate people, who didn't bother to make sure their soulmelds made sense in light of each other, leading to strange overlaps, and significant power disparities.

But the Riding Bracers soulmeld is the next best thing if you can't get a Special mount or Animal companion from class features.

Zhent Skymage is an un-updated 3.0 Prestige Class, and theoretically viable for 3.5 use.

Quote:
And a Wu Jen with a familiar and Minute size...that's just cheating...
Hey, it's a funny mental image.

Do prestige classes that give "+1 in existing spellcasting class" count as spellcasting classes?