Exalted sheet online - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Exalted sheet online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I want what is most useful. Sounds like they cross over pretty well. Let's assume its 2e.
Righto!

Quote:
Let me know the changes.
Okay, you only need to change the abilities listed under Dawn and Zenith, and only one for each, actually.
The Dawn ability 'Brawl' needs to be replaced with 'War.'
The Zenith ability 'Endurance' needs to be replaced with 'Integrity.'
And that's it.

Quote:
So I could move charms out to their own table and replace the current 20 rows with intimacies, and that would be OK?
That would work, yes.

Quote:
Any suggestion as to how to make it a nice square table without a horrible "1 -column has 10 extra rows" type of thing?
That IS a good question. I think you might be able to solve this and another thing at the same time, however.

See, while the five different list (Dawn, Zenith, Twilight, Night, Eclipse) are fairly standard, not all characters use them. You can think of it like skills in D&D- different characters get different sets of them. The five labels you have are for some of the most common characters, but not all of them, and not all characters even get them in those groups.

So in truth, so long as you have those handy checkboxes next to each ability to designate whether or not they're "favored" by the character (favored being the term that essentially designates it as a 'class skill' to continue with the D&D analogy), they don't actually have to be subdivided that way, so long as all of them are on the sheet. Indeed, removing those subdivisions might make the sheet appropriate to more character types, and it would further allow you to shift around rows to get an appropriate number of extra slots. Instead of having six groups of five, you might just have three columns of say, 12 each, which would give you 11 blank slots to work with. Or if you like nice numbers, you could make three columns of 15 each because why not. No one is going to run out of spaces if they have 20 extra!

You might also consider trying to squeeze the entire thing a little to add a fourth column, and have them be ten each.

Or you could go further with the D&D 3.5 skill analogy and just make the whole thing one long column on the side of the sheet.

Quote:
OK, I'll make it at least 60. Maybe move it to the bottom of the sheet.
Sounds good.

Quote:
What do the levels mean? (0, -1 etc) It sounds to me like health is better off as a single flat entry, like HP in DND.
To go further into detail about it, all health levels work the same way. You check one off for each damage you take.
However, you have certain groups of health levels, which is what you're noting. Each of these groups is represented by a different number... or incapacitated.

You go through your health levels from the top down- when you are at full health and start taking damage, you start checking off your 0 health levels, for example. Once you no longer have any health levels that are in the 0 group, you start checking off the ones in the -1 group. At that point, you take the associated number as a penalty to certain rolls.
So it's very important to keep the health levels in those groups, so you know what penalties you're taking.

That being said, while nice little check boxes are the traditional way to represent your heath levels, you might just make an editable line or box for each group, in which you can say "I have this many health levels, this many are filled."

Or, you might make two editable boxes for each group- one which says how many total health levels you have, one which says how many of them have been filled in with damage. I imagine this would be far simpler than making an adjustable amount of checkboxes. Note that most people will not have over twenty health levels per group though, so if you can do the latter, I don't think it will stretch the sheet.

Quote:
Need much more information.
Now... to get back to what I was saying about 'advanced' characters. Lets start with the simple part first- your sheet puts limits on the scores of certain character traits, in a way that can't be circumvented. Therefore, if I have a character with a score outside of those limits, I can't represent that on the sheet.

I feel like this might warrant a wee bit more explanation.

Exalted is rather silly in how it displays its stats. In short, Exalted thinks it is too good for just writing down numbers, because I dunno, it likes being artsy or something. So instead of just saying a character has 5 Strength, and letting you write down 5 for your Strength (which is perfectly legitimate and everyone will understand what you're saying), the default way of displaying your Strength score is in 'dots.' That is, one dot for each point of Strength you have- if you have five Strength, you fill in five dots. Hence the design of the example sheet you went by, and the sheet you now have made.

It does this with Attributes, Abilities, Backgrounds, Virtues, Essence, and Willpower. So currently, the amount of bubbles you have for each of those things is the max score you can display for any of those traits. Unfortunately, it is very possible for a character to have a score in Attributes, Abilities, and Essence above 5. Most won't, but a notable number of them will, particularly for Attributes and Abilities.

Now, Essence maxes out at 10. You can't have more than 10 Essence unless someone is doing something cheaty, so you could just make ten bubbles for that and be fine- you have space for it already. Abilities and Attributes, on the other hand... expanding how many bubbles they get might be problematic for your sheet design. In truth, it might be better to just ignore Exalted's silly fixation on dots and make editable lines or boxes for these traits, in which someone can write a short, sensible number.

Just a quick note: there is three type of damage in exalted, so you need to be able to note on the sheet when it's in use if a health level is unfilled ([ ]) taken Bashing Damage ([\]), taken Lethal Damage ([X]) or taken aggravated Damage ([*]).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
Now... to get back to what I was saying about 'advanced' characters. Lets start with the simple part first- your sheet puts limits on the scores of certain character traits, in a way that can't be circumvented. Therefore, if I have a character with a score outside of those limits, I can't represent that on the sheet.

I feel like this might warrant a wee bit more explanation.

Exalted is rather silly in how it displays its stats. In short, Exalted thinks it is too good for just writing down numbers, because I dunno, it likes being artsy or something. So instead of just saying a character has 5 Strength, and letting you write down 5 for your Strength (which is perfectly legitimate and everyone will understand what you're saying), the default way of displaying your Strength score is in 'dots.' That is, one dot for each point of Strength you have- if you have five Strength, you fill in five dots. Hence the design of the example sheet you went by, and the sheet you now have made.

It does this with Attributes, Abilities, Backgrounds, Virtues, Essence, and Willpower. So currently, the amount of bubbles you have for each of those things is the max score you can display for any of those traits. Unfortunately, it is very possible for a character to have a score in Attributes, Abilities, and Essence above 5. Most won't, but a notable number of them will, particularly for Attributes and Abilities.
How high can they go?

Think I'll move most of this to flat entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinom View Post
Just a quick note: there is three type of damage in exalted, so you need to be able to note on the sheet when it's in use if a health level is unfilled ([ ]) taken Bashing Damage ([\]), taken Lethal Damage ([X]) or taken aggravated Damage ([*]).
What I could do is split it into two flat entry fields. In the first you put your max health, in the second a string of hits, like

0 10 BL**BX

I'll remove ability sub headers and leave a bunch of empty values.

How does that sound?

Quote:
What I could do is split it into two flat entry fields. In the first you put your max health, in the second a string of hits, like

0 10 BL**BX

I'll remove ability sub headers and leave a bunch of empty values.

How does that sound?
Assuming that's two flat fields for all 6 types of health levels and the second one is long enough to record... maybe up to 25 entries, that will work for all characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinom View Post
Assuming that's two flat fields for all 6 types of health levels and the second one is long enough to record... maybe up to 25 entries, that will work for all characters.
6? I see 0, -1, -2, -4 and incapacitated

Also if order doesn't matter you could score it as 3/4/2 for B,L,*

Quote:
6? I see 0, -1, -2, -4 and incapacitated

Also if order doesn't matter you could score it as 3/4/2 for B,L,*
Dying Health levels are often forgotten but they should be on the character sheet.

And yes, order doesn't matter.

Quote:
How high can they go?
For most characters, Abilities and Attributes cannot be higher than your Essence score. Though, there are cases in which this does not hold true, and theoretically there is no upper limit. Nonetheless, you are unlikely to see a score on a character higher than 10. And by 'unlikely' I mean 'I don't believe I've ever seen such a thing.'

That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, of course.

OK, I'll move attributes and abilities to flat entry,
increase essence to 10 bubbles,
add dying as a health attribute,
restructure health to be max and then allow record of B/L/A separately
remove ability subheadings
add more empty ability slots

The cap for Abilities and Attributes is "5 or your Essence, whichever is higher". The maximum Essence for Exalted is Ess 10, which cannot be broken by any means in the setting. If anyone wants official word on that, the Scroll of Errata outright says it as follows:

"The Essence scale of Exalted goes from 1 to 10. As Essence 10 characters can be reasonably described as nearly omnipotent in comparison to lesser beings, there is no need for any higher Essence ratings to be present in the game."

Barring shapeshifting (which is not accessible to every splat), a scale of 1-10 is sufficient for play.

Character sheets going up to Essence 5 are suitable for most games until such time as they go on long enough that the characters have broken past a full century in age. Essence caps are limited by age - you can only get Ess 6 at a hundred years old, Ess 7 at 250 to 499, Ess 8 at 500 to 999, and you'll need to be 1,000 years or older for Ess 9 and 10. Depending on the game, this may or may not be a concern - some games are low-scale ones, others are epic adventures that span all of Creation. The longer a game goes on in years in-universe, the greater chance there'll be someone who'll go for higher Essence.

Now. Some particular splats have Charms that permit the user to break the age-imposed Essence cap (namely, 'Glory to the Most High'/'World-Ending Void Apostle'), but these are temporary measures; GttMH only lasts for one day, and it's only in that day that the Solar's Essence is increased; in times when it's not active, he's still the lower Essence for all other considerations.

Anyway, most of the above is hardly relevant except as background. It should be noted that this complaint of 'Exalted being too artsy for numbers' applies only to the sheet you get at the back of splatbooks (and besides, it's a complaint that can be levied on everything using the Storyteller system, so bully for that.). Even NPC sheets as given out in books list numbers - crack open the Core book sometime, take a minor glance at the Antagonists chapter. Of course, the usual format is number after stat (we say Strength 5 instead of 5 Strength), which is hardly unique; observe Warhammer.

It would be better, I think, to split off specialties as a separate section, with one field for the specialty name and another for its rating. Such specialties would then be written, for instance, "Socialize: Making Long Forum Posts" in the first field, and then "+3" for the second. You could do it like you did Backgrounds, only they go from 1-3; Specialties only go up to +3 at most.

Also, some splats are based on Attributes and not Abilities - a checkbox before Attributes would be greatly useful.

The sheets are suitable for Solars, Abyssals, Infernals, and Dragon-Blooded, and are usable for Sidereal play. Lunars and Alchemicals can still make use of them, but there'll have to be some mucking about, player-side.

Still, there aren't that many differences per splat (Colleges for Sidereals and a whole bunch of forms for Lunars), so all told, commendable work, Michael, most commendable work.

And the lesson at the end of everything is: Never trust a White Wolf character sheet. They're always incomplete.