Lycanthropy - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

I'm making my way through the books, and I had a thought on Lycanthropes.

Now, as the book mentions, they're kind of hard to play, since two of their major abilities don't function most of the time. So, I had a thought. Now, when the moon's not full, of course they're not going to have that strength and durability. But when the moon's full, they're not quite as in control of themselves. So, how about this? Give them two extra stunts, which they can only use when they haven't gone through the transformation. During the change, they're no stronger than they'd normally be. Outside of the change, they're weaker than a Full Mortal, but still useful. Suggested stunts might be Pick Pocket, Poet, Best Foot Forward, or Capable Researcher. Things that might be difficult to do well when your mind's becoming more bestial.

Thoughts?

that looks like a nice way to make them more interesting, Ive got a game where somebody is playing a lycantrhope and I think I'll steal this idea.

Another option would be giving them an Item of Power that can trigger their powers with a suitable roll or for some stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben View Post
Another option would be giving them an Item of Power that can trigger their powers with a suitable roll or for some stress.
I used this as Lycanthrope player on a short lived game here. Used an aspect to do it, but it really helped. Really, outside of the 3-5 days around a full moon the only power they have that functions or is likely to have any real use for a PC is the Echos of the Beast for enhanced senses. Pack Instincts just isn't going to come up unless you burn an aspect to have a small pack you run with, or other PCs are using the same template. A little nudge doesn't hurt this template at all.

Note that if they can exert meaningful control over the 'change', then they should lose the 'rare or involuntary change' discount
Really, all you need to do is drop that discount, probably have an aspect (Master of my Inner Beast, An Accord with Rage, etc) to represent how you're special compared to all the other lycanthopes out there, and you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Note that if they can exert meaningful control over the 'change', then they should lose the 'rare or involuntary change' discount
Really, all you need to do is drop that discount, probably have an aspect (Master of my Inner Beast, An Accord with Rage, etc) to represent how you're special compared to all the other lycanthopes out there, and you're done.
This is by far the best solution. Lycanthropy is almost unforgivable as a player option, in my opinion, due to the terrifying nature of its involuntary change. It's a headache for the ST and it's a cruel rollercoaster for players, when they could just play a Scion of whatever and have no Musts aside from High Concept and pick whatever power array they desire.

Remove Involuntary Change, and bam.

You should also get your ST to drop Pack Instincts unless the entire party is taking it; maybe you're just not that kind of lycanthrope, some lone wolf (or different totem) variant. Oh, look at that...losing Pack Instincts perfectly balances Involuntary Change. Almost like it was meant to be.