The Autumn Court - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The Autumn Court

Good suggestions.
Your Autumn Knight's saying to his enemies could be "Have a nice Fall."
And he (and magic boons) focus on helping him trip / knock over his foes.

Sort of joking... sort of why not. :-)

I think transition may be a better term than balance, but I was trying to give Augustus a couple of options on character creation. There is the peace loving can't everyone get along kind of balance/transition and there is the here is the time table and we're here to keep the peace...we're here to make sure the handover goes according to the time table and will enforce these conditions.

Not much precedence for it but Autumn and Spring could be the enforcers to keep the balance between summer and winter, espionage, brute force, could be just as big a role as negotiations and finding common ground.

I can also see chaos as the driving force but the harbinger of order (the natural change of seasons, peacekeepers) could be just as probable.

For me at least I think it gives Augustus a wide open option to choose among a wide array of character types. and powers that reflect the type of character he has in mind.

So Spring would be the classic buffer type, and Autumn would be the debuffer type.
Spring introduces new growth, and some of it would be aberrant. Autumn removes what fails. That which succeeds becomes part of the continuing cycle, that which fails dies and is removed.
Spring is chaos. Rampant and unrestricted growth is chaos. Autumn is order. Entropy brings the order of death.

Actually, if anyone decides to run a game that *could* have a Spring court fey involved, I'd be interested to give it a shot, and see if we could come up with more details and so on. It would be nice to be able to give some of the wild fey some court options that don't come down to the big three (Summer, Winter, Erlking), even if that court happens to be a small one.

Or has been stated by others there is no autumn or spring court but by ancient law there is time set aside for chaos or wyld fae to hold sway as well.

I like your synopsis Muggie, just trying to give Augustus as much options as I can though I don't think I've helped out with his quesiton about powers, though I still feel seemings and glamours would be big

I'm really only looking for ideas for powers, auspices, and elements. The fluff isn't mine to decide, it's something the GM will be working with me on, and deciding for himself what he wants to use.

"Harvesting" (haha... ha.) from these quotes, I've come up with:
Change
Quiet - The silence of leaves falling, maybe something like quietus from v:tm? Although the silence and muffled sound of snow falling might have a stronger hold on this.
Diminishing - Maybe something like crossing a threshold, that places a penalty on all powers activated in the vicinity?
Halloween - ?
The Dead (speaking/returning) - Speaking to, and/or summoning spirits? Returning them to their rest?
Harvest - This has an element of killing and hard work, sure, but what I think of when I hear the word is Thanksgiving, and feasting with family on awesome and mouthwatering foods. Gathering together and celebrating. I'm not sure what to do
Debuffing (draining/leeching) - Like I said below, there isn't really a model for this.
Hunting - Seems like the domain of the Erlking, maybe some sort of agreement with Autumn, or maybe the Erlking was Autumn at one point?
Fear - Could be an inspire emotion thing?
Chill - Slowing, making things more difficult?
Anything else you guys can think of as belonging to Autumn, or powers that would associate to these things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumptruck View Post
Since Autumn is the period of change between summer and winter change could be a power, chaos, uncertainty.
I like the idea of Autumn as Change, same as Spring I suppose, but where Spring is wild, riotous, rampant growth, Autumn is a quiet diminishing, fading, receding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof cephalopod View Post
Autumn is entropy a transition from fervent life and creation to death and winter. Halloween= like the epitome of this the barrier is weak and degraded death and life are closer than any other time, harvest=the reaping time (entropy/death), the leaves changing color= Bamm!! Also entropy. I'd say channeling entropy, and seeing the dead would be amazingly appropriate. . . However we shouldn't forget that autum is the time of toil, endurance and preparedness. As we work hard to prepare for winter and bring in the crops. It is a time of trepidation and celebration sandwiched between hardship.

So I guess add to the list things that would effect endurance, and heartiness on top of entropy, and the spirit world.???
Speaking with the dead sounds like a decent addition, halloween is kind of a crazy holiday, but it has a serious purpose. Later on Muggie2 talks about buffing/debuffing, and I like that. It makes me think about power drain, or leeching, which isn't really something DFRPG handles that well, but I'm interested enough to look at what we could do with the mechanics.

Quote:
I was also thinking that depending on what you wanted to do with your character you'd have the option of balance as well, as Autumn balances out summer and winter during the transition. So if you wanted your character could take a balancing role, letting no power/faction gain control over another. as I somewhat stated before if you wanted a social character you could take an intermediary concept, working between groups to facilitate transition.

I know they are faerie powers already but glamours (change) may make a lot of sense. So entorpy, change themed magic, balance...?
I'm feeling more like a "workman" character. Someone who is used to spitting on his palms, hitching up his pants, and getting the job done without a lot of talking or fooling around. A grizzled farmer who knows there's a job of work ahead, and knows its going to be hard, but realizes that complaining will only make the job take longer. A hard boiled PI who has been trailing husbands for wives for more years than he cares to think, has been betrayed by clients in a twist ending so many times that it's not a surprise anymore, who knows that most times the simplest explanation is the best, but knows there's no end to the strangeness of human nature... but this is the job he knows how to do, so it's what he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramaloke View Post
Here are some threads from the JB Forums in the DFRPG Section (The 'Official' DFRPG Forums):
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...c,17813.0.html
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...c,18699.0.html
These were really helpful actually. A lot of the fluff I've developed has apparently been thought of before, and there was more here than I'd come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof cephalopod View Post
So (from reading the above links) I guess add hunting, fear, and storms to what we've said above?
Fear should definitely be a part of it, but I'm not sure how to square that with the (indistinct) image I have of the character. I'll keep it in mind though, it's an Autumn thing for sure way more than Winter. Fear is what you have when you're certain things are bad, but you're still alive. Winter's realm is death itself.

Storms seems more like a Spring or Winter thing. It probably depends on where you are.

Quote:
Not much precedence for it but Autumn and Spring could be the enforcers to keep the balance between summer and winter, espionage, brute force, could be just as big a role as negotiations and finding common ground. I can also see chaos as the driving force but the harbinger of order (the natural change of seasons, peacekeepers) could be just as probable.
This is a neat idea, kind of like Nightwatch, where if you're evil out of control (or good out of control) the appropriate police show up to settle you down. I'm not sure if it's where we'll go, but my guy could easily be a grizzled police officer type. Not a detective, I think, someone who makes his way by grit and experience more than by his wits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggie2 View Post
So Spring would be the classic buffer type, and Autumn would be the debuffer type.
Spring introduces new growth, and some of it would be aberrant. Autumn removes what fails. That which succeeds becomes part of the continuing cycle, that which fails dies and is removed. Spring is chaos. Rampant and unrestricted growth is chaos. Autumn is order. Entropy brings the order of death.
I like this! (see above) except the chaos and order bits. Both spring and autumn are change, in opposite ways. I like the selection bit though, I'll have to do some thinking about that.

Have you thought of maybe adding a psychopomp style deal to it further increasing the transition and death aspects.

-

Do you want to make powers or use what's available with a bit of reflavoring?

A psychopomp is an entity that provides safe passage to the dead from our realm to the next. . . Think a grim reaper, or Charon, or the crow. . .

Oh man, TIL something cool about Greek mythology that I never knew before, thanks! However, I can't imagine the fae being involved in something that seems so... caring, or at least orderly as far as mortals are concerned. I've always had the impression that at best we are considered favored pets. I have to think that a guide like that, or something that sets things to rights, isn't in their nature. Cool concept though, right up there with the Sin Eater.

I was thinking that as well too "human ( in the reasoning/emotional sense)" of a behavior. . . . I always thought the fae worked best as a slightly alien incomprehensible type of influence . . .

But what if they "trafficked" in souls. . . .
-
But on the real my original suggestion was supposed to be more along the lines of being able to go to that portion of the never never without worry or consequence/directly and easily.