Quick Draw - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick Draw

Quick Draw

Umm...the rules say that in normal circumstances you can draw a weapon as a free action while moving, what constitues as moving, 10 feet or more? And is the only benefit of the Quick draw feat just that you can draw a weapon as a free action while standing still?

I imagine that it means you can do a full attack the second you start combat. Drawing a weapon while moving limits you to a standard attack. Drawing a weapon in place is still a move action without Quick Draw.

I believe movement counts as anywhere between a 5ft-step and maximum movement.

I thought the rule was if you have BAB +1 or more, you can draw a weapon as a part of a move action taken to actually move.

5ft steps shouldn't let you draw a weapon.

Sorry, I failed to make myself clear. When I said 5ft to maximum move, I actually meant that 5ft and below would not permit a weapon draw, as Artistshipper mentioned. In reality, I should have said 6ft to maximum move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
Sorry, I failed to make myself clear. When I said 5ft to maximum move, I actually meant that 5ft and below would not permit a weapon draw, as Artistshipper mentioned. In reality, I should have said 6ft to maximum move.
A collary to this is that it's not clarified, AFAIK if you can draw your weapon as part of a charge or spring attack, though most DM's will allow it for the sake of consistency and ease.

Well, just to be clear, you could move five feet and draw a weapon at the same time. It'd count as a move action though, not as a five-foot-step. Or, you could classify it as a five-foot-step, preceded by a move action to draw your weapon. However you like. But it might be necessary sometimes if your enemy is five feet away and you need to draw your weapon before you attack.

Quick Draw is a fun feat. Combine with Heward's Handy Haversack, and you've got easy access to nearly anything you'd need during a combat. I once made a dual-wand-wielding magical cowboy who had this feat. Fun times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Well, just to be clear, you could move five feet and draw a weapon at the same time. It'd count as a move action though, not as a five-foot-step. Or, you could classify it as a five-foot-step, preceded by a move action to draw your weapon. However you like. But it might be necessary sometimes if your enemy is five feet away and you need to draw your weapon before you attack.

Quick Draw is a fun feat. Combine with Heward's Handy Haversack, and you've got easy access to nearly anything you'd need during a combat. I once made a dual-wand-wielding magical cowboy who had this feat. Fun times.
Hmn, is there an official ruling that Quick Draw allows you to get something out of a Handy Haversack as a free action? I'm not sure if Quick Draw trumps the haversack text stating getting anything out is a move action.

I'd been using a Spare Hand to get stuff out of my Haversack.

I seem to remember an official ruling that says feat descriptions trump item descriptions. I could be wrong though. But the whole purpose of Quick Draw is to cut move action draws down to free action draws. Anyways, the GM of the game I played in let it fly.

Quick Draw has other uses too. Free action means it doesn't have to be your turn. You can draw or holster a weapon even after being surprised. This can be advantageous if you are constantly being grappled, as I recall you can use a knife to attack in a Grapple...and with Streetfighting, you can make that Grappler regret ever touching you.

It's also handy if you're being chased down and outnumbered. Say you need to pick up an object of high importance, or even help a fallen ally to his feet. Holstering or slinging a weapon will take part of that move action, where as with Quick Draw you can put that weapon away fast and instead use your full round action to sprint away.

Its uses are subtle and very situational. I like the feat itself, as it has many applications and creates a bit of a RP style with your character.

I once used quick draw, and rapid reload to make a gunslinger that could draw his guns, fire twelve times, reload, fire twelve more times, and reholster his guns all in one turn(D&D 3.5).

Just goes to show that even a minor feat like quick draw can lead to ridonculous cheese when used properly