Quick Draw - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick Draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus Fox View Post
Quick Draw has other uses too. Free action means it doesn't have to be your turn.
Where'd you get that? With a few exceptions (talking, for example), free actions are on your turn. Generally, only immediate actions can be taken on someone else's turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMann View Post
Where'd you get that? With a few exceptions (talking, for example), free actions are on your turn. Generally, only immediate actions can be taken on someone else's turn.
I misinterpreted a rule I read. My bad. ^^;

Free actions are during your turn, and quick draw only lets you draw weapons not put them back in their sheathe/holster. So if you have 6 different weapons, you have to drop them to the floor each time you pull out a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

Drawing ammunition for use with a ranged weapon (such as arrows, bolts, sling bullets, or shuriken) is a free action.
Now the feat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
Quick Draw [General]
Prerequisite
Base attack bonus +1.

Benefit
You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move action.

A character who has selected this feat may throw weapons at his full normal rate of attacks (much like a character with a bow).

Normal
Without this feat, you may draw a weapon as a move action, or (if your base attack bonus is +1 or higher) as a free action as part of movement. Without this feat, you can draw a hidden weapon as a standard action.

Special
A fighter may select Quick Draw as one of his fighter bonus feats.
You can only draw weapons as a free action, not put them away. You can only draw weapons or items that act like weapons like a wand that are in easy reach. A handy haversack doesn't count as "easy reach". You can only do so during your turn. If you move at least 10 feet (ie: not a 5-foot step) you can draw one weapon as a free action during that move action, the only exception to this rule is possessing the two weapon fighting feat, which allows you to draw two weapons so long as they are one-handed or light weapons. Since it states it must be done as part of a move, charge attacks or spring attacks qualify for that.

I agree with you on everything except the 10 feet part. There's nothing in the rules suggesting a minimum amount of movement, only that you expend a move action. Normally, this wouldn't matter (since you could draw as a move action and take a five foot step), but there are cases where you can't take a five-foot-step, and need to use a move action (difficult terrain, for example). In such a case, you could draw your weapon without an additional action, even though you'd only moved five feet.

If you used a move action to move those 5 feet, then yes, if you didn't and it was the standard free 5 foot step, then you can't pull out a weapon.

Hmm...I guess the "sheath weapon" thing that I've always gone by was a house rule. Seems logical to me that if you can draw a weapon fast, you can sheath it too.

Only if you like slicing off your thumbs.

EvilJoe15: That sounds interesting! How did you come up with the stats for guns in D&D 3.5? I'd love to do such a build for my RL game

Oh and also a 5ft step counts as a move action despite being a 5ft step. So yes you may draw a weapon as part of it. Strange how that works huh.

Well to begin the character was a martial adept with Diamond Mind, and specializing in Black Rain.

Lord of Arms(Black Rain Stance, Level 8) let's you use any maneuver you could use with a melee weapon be used with any firearm you are proficient with(Among other things), which allows the use of Time Stands Still(Diamond Mind Maneuver, Level 9), and we all know what that does.

Add in TWF, Imp Crit, Rapid Shot, Quick Draw, and a pair of +X Keen Revolvers, and you got youself a martial character that can (Almost) compete with a blasty Wizard/Sorcerer.

The gun's stats are as follows:

3d3(Min 3, Max 9); Range: 60ft; Crit: 18-20x3; Capacity: 6; Weight: 3lbs.
That damage makes them better then an average melee weapon, but Uberchargers are still going to want the biggest THW they can find, and trippers are going to use the spiked chain nomatter what. The range sucks, and that's on purpose. You see early revolvers weren't that accurate at distance, and the average gun battle was little over 50ft. That's a monster crit, but guns are just better. the rest is standard, no price cus I dont know how common you want them to be, My GM put them at over 1,000gp(His campaign's tech level was early renascence, and I was going to have to invent them in game)

Keen revolvers?

Isn't that kind of a like a keen hammer?