Shadow Stream: Personal Art Thread - Page 6 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

Shadow Stream: Personal Art Thread

Some seriously great work in there, I don't really have much to add besides that as I'm not really a great artist myself, but I find myself envying your style, it is a nice feel to for pen & paper characters.

that sux! wait... NO! THATS FREAKING NICE! :P
very nicely done... gives that kid a more adult look, and ...dirt? c'mon Ty! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoka View Post
Shadowstalker, it's just wrong to draw something that well and leave it on a white canvas. Put some background in there man. D= If you can draw clothing texture that well, you can put some dirt beneath his feet.
You're right - dirt would add greatly to the overall interest of the piece as I find soils infinitely intriguing. Also, it would help me understand which way is down since dirt, as I understand it, generally forms a flattish layer in whichever direction the force of gravity is currently acting upon.

Please SS, consider dirt in your next piece. Seriously.

Thanks a lot everyone! I really appreciate your feedback.

@Basil_Bottletop: I just recently got something together to showcase what I think are my stronger images. http://rubengramos.carbonmade.com/. Check it out; let me know what you think.

@Tyoka: Yeah, I know what you mean. I was playing on adding an entire background scene, but I didn't set it up the right way. So, I'd have to go back and re-paint a lot of this image. :/ Maybe next time.

The proportions on some of those drawings are amazingly accurate, the Hedge Knight really standing out. Where did you study at? A friend's brother drew similar, after going to the Art Institute of Chicago for a couple years.

And I agree with the background, especially if you plan on showcasing images to an audience for career opportunities. You could already have a career drawing book art for Indie rpg companies, if you aren't already.

There is an image on Page 6 of the Warrior, Rogue and Mage rulebook I would like to see you reproduce in your own style. If you ever have the time, as it is a task. It also shows off some simple background techniques, with stone floors and such. Even shadows make the drawing seem more real.

Quote:
@Tyoka: Yeah, I know what you mean. I was playing on adding an entire background scene, but I didn't set it up the right way. So, I'd have to go back and re-paint a lot of this image. :/ Maybe next time.
Oh I see, do you paint traditionally, not digitally? If you bring the image into photoshop, you can select it with the wand select tool and pull it onto a new layer easily. The background doesn't have to be elaborate at all, and even putting a gradient of color would make the image pop.

I would assume based on your skill that you're experience in photoshop, but if not I can help you.

@Librarium: Thank-you! I'm flattered that you would compare my little silly drawings to someone who went to art school. I have actually never taken any art classes or gone to art school, although I want to. I'm in the process now of trying to find a reputable art school that won't have me in debt for 30 years! I have not done any commercial work, though I have been tempted to put myself out there. Unfortunately, I'm a huge pessimist when it comes to my artwork. :/

I checked out that image you were talking about--that would be pretty tough, but it could be a lot of fun, too. I've never done that many characters all in the same image, and you'd be surprised how difficult that actually is (making sure proportions and height are accurate and making them all on the same plane, etc).

@Tyoka: No, I only paint digitally (I sketch with pencil and paper and have done some charcoal and watercolor in the past, but not much). But I did not set my layers up correctly to be able to integrate a background easily. I can, of course. Just not easily. I just want to move on from it for now--it was a great learning experience and I may go back to it someday. Thank-you for your offer, too!

Wow! All your art is amazing, and inspirational, but I especially love your take on Link.

I have a real problem with perfectionism and procrastination that means I NEVER finish a piece, and has stopped me from starting quite a lot. I've now trained myself to just start sketching, whenever I have an idea, and not worry that it's never finished.

Have you tried any other tablets? I was looking at one very similar, if not that exact one, but was hesitant, as they are the least expensive. (also why I'm looking in that direction)

Thanks for your input on my current project, and please, don't be afraid to offer ANY more pointers you may have, especially in regards to maps.

@Xaviien: Thanks! Yeah, I have that problem, too. Right now it's sort of crippling my motivation for some reason.

I never updated the page (until now), but I actually purchased a Large Intuos 4 Wacom Tablet. Wacom is the only tablet I have experience with, and I'm very happy with it. If you're going to do any type of concept or digital art, you absolutely must have a tablet. It doesn't have to be Wacom, but save your money and get something good.

Hmmm, I vaguely remember the wacom bamboo being incredibly cheap. Besides being worried about the quality of a "cheap" brand, I was looking at something fairly small, less than 10", maybe 7 or 8. I figured that would be too small to be much use, would you agree?