Gamers and Football Fans? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Gamers and Football Fans?

Gamers and Football Fans?

I was posting to thread that talked about how D&D is considered evil and it got me thinking about how some bizarre hobbies are acceptable and some aren't. Foot ball nuts and gaming geeks have more in common than most people would believe. Let me give some examples

1) Unhealthy activity involving lots of snacks and sitting on ones a*s
2) Obsession with pointless statistics
3) Extreme 'fans' that embarrass their more moderate friends by dressing up in costumes

Yes I read a good article about this somewhere ... I think it was some individual from a fantasy football site or something.

Anways, as someone who does and enjoys both - Yes. So many similarities.

Lots of stats. Whole other language. Everyone feels there are others in it who are "way more into it and nerdy about it than I am." Generally accepted "bests". Small group that feels very passionately that the majority that buys into those "bests" are fools for doing so. Somehow taking pride and a sense of accomplishment in something you really did not do. No really - you didn't actually just do any of that. Actually ok to "HATE!" certain people/groups of people - kickers... drow... Sometimes taken too seriously and needlessly leading to conflict. Overall - good diversion, sense of community, and mental exercise. Game on!

(Actually was thinking you typed "Fantasy Football Fans". That's what I was specifically comparing. Big time Fantasy Football fans are even more like RPGers than just your average football fan. In way too many leagues, groups, games, than is good for them. Hours of study. Etc.)

Admittedly nerdy but way more accepted. Though likely less heroism involved. ... Resume Game On.

I'm a gamer and an American Football fan (International site, it's important to clarify). I guess I never really saw the similarities until it was just pointed out, but I'm not into it because of the stats or anything. I like football because it was something my dad was into, and we bonded over it when I was a teenager.

Also, I enjoy watching athletic men in tight pants beat the crap out of each other under circumstances where the rules prevent most bloodshed. I like my gladiatorial combat, but I'm too much of a softie to go for the real thing.

Go Niners! No matter where I live or how hard they suck, they'll always be my team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicsFan View Post
Go Pats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinous View Post
Go Niners!
People like you make me sick!

GO BEARS!!!

I am a big football fan, but could never get into Fantasy Football. Not for a lack of trying mind you. But still.

Go Raiders!

Huge Fantasy Football fan. Playing in two leagues and I spend a good chunk of my train-ride in every day analyzing picks and players looking for good match-ups. That is, when I'm not responding to campaign posts here on MW!

In my house, we have two favorite teams:

1. The Bears
2. Whoever is playing the Packers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeus View Post
In my house, we have two favorite teams:

1. The Bears
I like you.

I could never get into fantasy football either. It just never appealed to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeus View Post
People at work are looking at me weird because I literally started to laugh out loud. I would have to agree with SC. I like you.