Magic Homebrew - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Magic Homebrew

Magic Homebrew

Okay then, I am going to be running a
Hey, I've got 3-4 RL players and I'm aiming for 6-12 here. Of course its going to be more fatal here!
less fatal version of my
Still recruiting! Check out Game Advertisements
Day of Hell game for nWoD. I was planning on running a fantasy style game with magic, but I don't own Mage: the Awakening, so here's what I've got for a homebrew so far. My biggest concern is making the mage OP.

Homebrew Sheets:

Mental:
  • Computer is replaced with Knowledge
  • Science is replaced with Spellcraft
  • Occult is replaced with Arcana
Physical:
  • Drive is replaced with Ride

Homebrew Rules:
  • Casting magic takes Willpower. A level 1 or 2 spell costs 1 point, a level 3 or 4 spell costs 2 points, and a 5th level spell costs 3 points.
  • Magic takes Level x 2 turns to focus and cast. Ex. A level 3 spell takes 6 rounds to cast.
  • The Meditate Merit has been increased from * to ***.
  • A character with access to spell can meditate for an hour per Willpower point to regain lost points. With the Meditative Mind merit, this is reduced to 45 minutes per point.
  • When casting, you lose any Defense that you naturally have (cover, armor, etc. still apply). If you are in anyway disrupted you must make a Resolve + Composure check to continue. You need one success per spell level to continue.
  • You can put an extra two dots into Eidetic Memory to be able to continue a spell with breaks. You can stop and continue the spell at any time, but if you begin a new spell, you lose the other spell.
  • The Black Magic (* to *****) and the White Magic (* to *****) merits have been added. (Preq: Int *** Spellcraft ** Arcana **) Each dot grants three new spells at the next level. Specifics to come. As usual, the 5th dot costs double.
  • Magic(al damage) is determined by a Spellcraft + Intelligence check. Magic deals aggravated damage unless otherwise stated.
  • Using a magical item requires an Arcana + Wits check.
  • A spellcaster gets a penalty for any speed penalty she incurs from armor.
  • The Arcane Focus merit (* to ***** Preq: Black or White Magic *) has been added. You can have a item that serves as an arcane focus. As long as you have this item and use it to help in the spellcasting, you get a bonus equal to the amount of dot spent in the merit. Ex. Two dots will give you a focus that grants a +2 to magic checks.
  • Arcane Dodge (*) merit has been added. Preq: Wits ** Arcana *
    Acts as Weaponry or Brawling dodge, but only against magically based attacks. Doubles Arcana, only one Dodge at a time.
  • Each player gets 35 xp to start the game, as they are all "seasoned" adventurers.
  • Arcane Resistance (**) merit. You have a natural resistance against magic and you add a +1 to your Defense when attacks by magic. Also beneficial magic also takes a -1 modifier due to this resistance.

White Magic = defensive
Black Magic = offensive

So? What'd ya think?

Forgot Some:

Physical:
  • Firearms is replaced with Marksmanship
  • Firearm Dodge is renamed Marksmanship Dodge
  • Bows will take one round to reload. A bow is Markmanship + Dex
  • Fire Hardened Arrow - Dmg 1 (L) Size 2 Cost * Special (Armor Piercing 1)
  • Steel Tipped Arrow - Dmg 2 (L) Size 2 Cost ** Special (Armor Piercing 2)
  • Shortbow - Dmg 1 Range 15/30/45 Str 2 Size 3 Cost **
  • Longbow - Dmg 2 Range 20/40/60 Str 3 Size 4 Cost ***
  • Crossbows take two rounds to reload.
  • Crossbow - Dmg 3 Range 20/40/60 Str 2 Size 3 Cost ****
  • Bolts have the same stats as Steel Tipped Arrows.

There's a reason all 'to hit' rolls in Storyteller use Dexterity. It's a measure of hand-eye-coordination. Watch any action movie where the big brawler mook tries to squish the smaller hero and you'll see why Strength isn't everything.

Now, I realize that a minimum amount of strength is needed to string, pull, and hold a bow steady. What you might do is simply double the penalties for low Strength; so someone with Str 1 trying to aim a longbow takes a -4 to their attack roll, not a -2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
There's a reason all 'to hit' rolls in Storyteller use Dexterity. It's a measure of hand-eye-coordination. Watch any action movie where the big brawler mook tries to squish the smaller hero and you'll see why Strength isn't everything.

Now, I realize that a minimum amount of strength is needed to string, pull, and hold a bow steady. What you might do is simply double the penalties for low Strength; so someone with Str 1 trying to aim a longbow takes a -4 to their attack roll, not a -2.

Well, Close Combat is all Strength, but I see your point too.

IMHO, why reinvent the wheel? I am sure you have some good ideas, but the creators of the game already made a magic system. Why not go buy it? If you, like me, are poor, you can try to find deals online or buy used copies.

Not only will it be considerable effort to homebrew a magic system, it also would not have the benefit of a whole team of experienced developers and playtesters. If your players don't know Mage, it should take the same amount of time to teach them your homebrew system, but they would learn a skill that will only help them when you run them in a game, should they move, they couldn't just jump into a Mage game anywhere else. And if they already know Mage, it will only make things easier on your whole group.

None of us know Mage, we have no real spending money, and we aren't allowed to order online (well that's just me, but I know my friends' parents, they aren't gonna let it happen either). All that I'm asking is how it looks.