Opinions please... - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

Opinions please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinny View Post
First or third person perspective?
It depends on what you are trying to achieve. Third person gives the narrator emotional distance and the ability to make judgements or encourage the readers to. First person engages the reader more personally, but it makes adding in the omniscient voice (for narrative or descriptive reasons) more complicated. I think you need to determine what you are trying to achieve with the novel and then consider how the voice could be used to further those goals.

Quote:
Character developement? Action? Blood and gore? Love and romance?
All of the above except blood and gore.

Quote:
Fiction or non-fiction?
Fiction.

[quote=Hero or anti-hero?]It doesn't really matter as long as the person is three-dimensional. Actually, two dimensional is fine too, if you are making a statement in the story by having him/her be so. Anti-heroes are a bit easier to make interesting because the story more or less automatically puts them into conflict with themselves.

Quote:
Humour, satire, sarcasm?
Intellent humour and a little irony. Satire is good too. Sarcasm is a little cheap for my tastes.

Quote:
Modern, futuristic or historical?
Again, any of the three if you can make your setting rich and your story compelling. If forced to choose, I would pick historical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinny View Post
I wanted to ask people of their opinions though, about what they look for or what they like about good books.

First or third person perspective?
Character developement? Action? Blood and gore? Love and romance? ...
Fiction or non-fiction?
Hero or anti-hero?
Humour, satire, sarcasm?
Modern, futuristic or historical?
blah blah...
Personally, Rinny, I think I like third person, lots of character development, fiction, hero, with lots of humor in a completely separate venue - one completely made up, only slightly resembling anything in the human experience. I guess that's the 'world-builder' in me.

But don't be led by all our votes. I'm sure you'll do well, just do whatever you think you'd like to write about. Please yourself, and your result will be something you can really dig into. There will be time to do other novels that are tailored to a specific reader, if you want to sell them.