4E: The Dweller in the Wintervale - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4E: The Dweller in the Wintervale

I was thinking of leaving it a recharge 6 and then making it recharge and used immediately whenever she drops an enemy to 0 hps. That way it is statistically rare but likely to be used more than once per encounter. I intend it to be a fairly potent ability.

Well, I have to say that I must have been over-thinking it. In the latest preview for Essentials Books, the is an example of just this issue, and the follow the same format that you decided on.

Quote:
Melee - Tentacles (poison) At-Will
Attack: Melee 3 (one creature); +20 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d6 + 8 damage, the carrion crawler can pull the target 1 square, and the target takes ongoing 10 poison damage and is slowed (save ends both).
First Failed Saving Throw: The target is immobilized instead of slowed (save ends).
Second Failed Saving Throw: The target is stunned instead of immobilized (save ends).
The full article is here: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.a...dramp/20100827

Thank you!

Okay, here is my write-up. Please critique it before she goes live on Oct. 15.

http://www.farlandworld.com/dweller.html

Vulnerable 20 Fire seems strange in a Level 35 anything, but I suppose it fits thematically.

Death of an Immortal makes her a particularly nasty foe, but taking out an iconic entity is the stuff of endgame and the completion of immortality quests. I like it!

Indomitably of Winter might need a bit of re-wording. Do the Dweller's allies gain that +1 bonus to attack rolls, or allies of the PC dropping the condition saved against? I'm assuming it's the Dweller's allies.

All Ages of the World- is that one attack roll per person that's against all 3 defenses like prismatic strike, or a separate attack roll on each defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
Vulnerable 20 Fire seems strange in a Level 35 anything, but I suppose it fits thematically.
Take it out?

Quote:
Indomitably of Winter might need a bit of re-wording. Do the Dweller's allies gain that +1 bonus to attack rolls, or allies of the PC dropping the condition saved against? I'm assuming it's the Dweller's allies.
Good catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef33
All Ages of the World- is that one attack roll per person that's against all 3 defenses like prismatic strike, or a separate attack roll on each defense?
One roll. i used the exact wording from prismatic spray.

do you guys think she's powerful enough?

I'd definitely add the Special line in that power then, to be more specific. Prismatic Strike (artificer power) also lists special instructions in the attack line. Just to make it very clear so there's no confusion

Close Blast 10 and Area burst 5 within 20 are HUGE areas, but I guess this is to ensure all of her powers hit everyone- are they enemies only or all creatures? I forgot how that line works in 4E, some powers listed enemies only, others don't, I assume it hits all creatures if it doesn't list enemies only, you listed it in All ages of the world but not the other 2.

Freezing Meteors is kind of funny, cold and fire damage, but it itself is vulnerable to fire? Maybe change the theme a bit to something like "Decaying Cold" or something to keep with cold/necrotic.

All in all- a very powerful creature, IMO. Forceful cage itself as a minor at will makes it a contender to be able to lock down a party healer/controller. It has an anti-controller option against save ends effects, large ranges and areas means it's hard for people to fan out and dodge the blasts.

The reaction to use a Blast 10 power that gives cold and necrotic damage is pretty devastating. When I look at it, it's a double element type, which means it's not likely that you'll have resistance to both (unless you've built it up or have gear specific to this encounter, which you probably should)

Looking at the numbers, you're probably averaging 30-40hp a round per attack- not including the vulnerabilities, add in force cage which does another 10-15 a round. I'm not sure on defenses, but they're mostly NADs, so let's say she has a 60% hit rate or so- if we included vulnerabilities (very likely to happen) we're at 70hp/turn. So I'd say combat against this creature should be over in 5 or 6 turns.

You're inflicting lots of status effects along with lots of damage- as a summary here's my list

Minor action: At will lock out (save ends)
Standard Action 1: Daze and weakened (save ends)
Standard Action 2: Daze and vulnerable (save ends), possibility of stunned (save ends)
Recharge: Slowed/stunned/Petrified (no save), weakened/blinded/vulnerability (save ends), dazed/stunned/ongoing(save ends).
Interrupt: trigger Standard action 1 or 2.
Free action: Triggers Recharge

So I would actually say- against any non-optimized party, you're looking at a TPK. Even with an optimized party, you still have a really strong, really frustrating solo. I would not want to fight this creature simply because it is too frustrating (too many save ends effects.)

Things I would do to tone it down:

Your Punishing Rebuke is too powerful, consider the fact that she blasts the Defender, hits him, the defender hits back, and takes another hit. The Blast 10 as a interrupt is essentially giving her two attacks a around (and it's interrupting the attack, so if she drops the person, she doesn't take damage)

Forceful Seclusion: losing your leader or defender for 1 round is difficult enough, multiple bad saves can make this one easily a TPK. The power itself that immobilizes and can't teleport is very good as is- blocking all line of effect is even more so, since if it's someone low on health, the leader can't even get to him to heal.

All the ages in the world: a dice recharge is too much, IMO. A recharge on bloodied may be good here.

Glory in Destruction- this one's a free action, kind of funny since it's tied to an area attack. Let's consider the situations where the dwaller kills one person, pops off glory in destruction, recharges and uses all the ages in the world, drops another person, can she use it again? if so- it's a chain reaction to this thing that would probably kill everyone.

Hope that helps, just my 2 cents.

Those are good comments. I intend her to be very, very difficult. She's the toughest thing in Farland. I do want her to be balanced, though.

Maybe Glory in destruction should be an immdiate action, for a start.

Glory in Destruction seems a bit powerful at first glance, however, remember that the current ruling for free actions is that you can only make one free action attack per turn, so no endless cycle/instant TPK. I'm still a bit leery of it.

Punishing Rebuke is pretty nasty, one change I would suggest is making it an Immediate Reaction, rather than an Interrupt. Also, when using Blast of Cold triggered by Punishing Rebuke, does it target only the triggering opponent? The wording could be clearer.