D&D Next playtest rules. Your thoughts? - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

D&D Next playtest rules. Your thoughts?

General consensus on the WotC forums seems to be that rogues are actually underpowered at low levels, at least in combat. Not having actually played yet, I can't vouch for that perception, but it certainly exists.

Fighter also gets Cleave at level 3, and with the Reaper Theme + Double Attack twice per day, that's four dead minions hit OR miss in a single round. Straight forward, but they really seem like they can do some hefty damage. Having naturally high STR by default also makes them very good when it comes to giving up that attack to instead perform an action like say; pushing the baddie off a cliff, overpowering them into another square, or just generally manhandling anything anyway they want more effectively than the other classes.

The pregen cleric of Moradin is only one point less strong than the pregen fighter, and has a better AC to boot -- the fighter has the same AC as the rogue! The fighter does do more damage at 1st level ... but that gap closes fast if the cleric casts crusader's strike (+1d6 damage for an hour) or spiritual hammer (extra attack for 1d8 for the next 10 turns, and can even be used at range).

So at 3rd level the fighter can kill four weak monsters, if they're all within melee range, twice a day. How many can the wizard take out with sleep or burning hands?

And I simply don't agree that being able to come up with outside-the-rules stunts in any way makes up for the fighter's marked lack of abilities. Any character, regardless of class, can do that.

Right. I'm seeing a lot of "can't wait for the combat maneuvers" from other players, precisely because the fighter does seem lackluster. The general feeling is that rogues are the high AC class, the armor system favors high dex characters. At low levels, not so much, but get some Dex bonuses and that starts changing.

I'm betting that fighters will end up getting the short end of the stick again. Why should D&D Next be any different than every other edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytherea View Post
And I simply don't agree that being able to come up with outside-the-rules stunts in any way makes up for the fighter's marked lack of abilities. Any character, regardless of class, can do that.
Except they aren't outside-the-rules. The new skill system perfectly allows such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithobi1 View Post
Fighters were great in 4e, though. That's one major thing which they succeeded at.
/agree

Not just fighters, but melee classes in general. Taking away their ability to contribute in meaningful ways at all levels is pointless.

I actually enjoyed playing a fighter in 4e. They were always dull to me in previous editions.

My impression is that the pregen fighter is built in that unexciting way so as to illustrate what they were talking about by the system being able to build characters that match a number of different playstyles or recreate different iterations of the D&D system. The fighter seems rather
Of course, I was in elementary school back when I played 1e; so I might be misremembering.
old-school to me. If that's the sort of game you want to play, then you can do it with this new system.

In other words, I really don't think that every fighter will end up looking so plain. What we're seeing is one possibility for a fighter, but it's not the fighter.

I hope you're correct, PolkaBear, because as others have said, it looks like the Fighter is currently being relegated to the scrap heap like it has been in other editions.