D&D Next playtest rules. Your thoughts? - Page 8 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

D&D Next playtest rules. Your thoughts?

There are many playtests already going on here, Silverthorne. Generally the GM requires the players to have the packet. Or which ever release date packet they are running.
I myself am running a set of solo adventures using the 01/28/13 packet.

I agree on the races in 5th edition. The Tolkien vibe they are getting and rules feel more than just a set of numbers. I enjoy reading the racial descriptions for each race, every packet release. They've finally turned halfings back into hobbits, which is great. The ehh small human approach just made them feel like... small humans. Now I look forward to special touches they place on gnomes to make them feel unique alongside the current races.

While I don't share your love for Tieflings exactly, I am a fan of Fey'ri, which are a similar form of planetouched. High elves and devils makin' babies? We all knew it was gonna happen.

To the Humans being dabblers in everything: I think this is mainly there to represent all of the released setting cultures. They can't say everyone is Culture A or Culture B when there is strange things like the Hordelands or the Red Wizards of Thay, or anything from Dark Sun. When campaign settings are released, I think you will get your specific cultures there.

On the green knight: I get where they are going, but I always pictured the D&D Ranger to fulfill that role partially. If they take the ranger into a true woodsman/scout role and away from this defender of the wild, then the Green Knight has a better place. Having a paladin of Boccob/Oghma/etc might be counter-productive to the theme of the gods, being the relatively nonviolent accumulation of knowledge. Now, other gods of nature, law and death with those alignments.. How does the green knight represent them? I'd like to see the Warden changed into something more like a Paladin of Kelemvor-type situation. The walker in between the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarium View Post
I agree on the races in 5th edition. The Tolkien vibe they are getting and rules feel more than just a set of numbers. I enjoy reading the racial descriptions for each race, every packet release. They've finally turned halfings back into hobbits, which is great. The ehh small human approach just made them feel like... small humans. Now I look forward to special touches they place on gnomes to make them feel unique alongside the current races.
Hobbits or kender! Both which are likable.

Quote:
While I don't share your love for Tieflings exactly, I am a fan of Fey'ri, which are a similar form of planetouched. High elves and devils makin' babies? We all knew it was gonna happen.
I am a fan of pretty much anything fiendish in every game, in case you couldn't tell.

Quote:
To the Humans being dabblers in everything: I think this is mainly there to represent all of the released setting cultures. They can't say everyone is Culture A or Culture B when there is strange things like the Hordelands or the Red Wizards of Thay, or anything from Dark Sun. When campaign settings are released, I think you will get your specific cultures there.
They have zero qualms about making entire new races whenever there is a new, non-human culture - high/wood/dark elves, gold/hill dwarf, the hobbit/kender split for halflings...

I think the problem is that they're trying to model real life humans and all their cultures, despite giving specific RL human cultures to the various races. Its kind of a double standard - have to be true to real humans and all they can do, but fantasy cultures can be given specific ideas and tendacies.

Quote:
On the green knight: I get where they are going, but I always pictured the D&D Ranger to fulfill that role partially. If they take the ranger into a true woodsman/scout role and away from this defender of the wild, then the Green Knight has a better place. Having a paladin of Boccob/Oghma/etc might be counter-productive to the theme of the gods, being the relatively nonviolent accumulation of knowledge. Now, other gods of nature, law and death with those alignments.. How does the green knight represent them? I'd like to see the Warden changed into something more like a Paladin of Kelemvor-type situation. The walker in between the lines.
Well, warden has a precedent as the 4e Primal defender type. Its a victim of the whole power source + role issue that came with 4e. I guess that the writers figured, "hey, 4e primal is divine power again, so lets mash the divine defenders together." Nevermind that the warden has nothing to do with a mounted knight. That the 'defender' label is now worthless- no marks or assigned roles, thank gods. Or that the 4e wardens had nothing to do with heavy armor, laying on hands, or smiting powers, three iconic abilities of the paladin/blackguard. Actually, they have more to do with a variation of druid shapeshiting! Wardens, to me, come off as the equivalent of a battle cleric, using shapeshiting in place of channel divinity powers or armor. Or maybe a more defensive barbarian.

But having an option for something between radiant/necrotic (good/evil) would be awesome. Neutral tends to come off as 'good lite,' imho opinion. There is nothing for something that, well, balances the two, which would be awesome.

Having had an opportunity to look over the rules a bit if not read in detail, I like a few things I'm seeing. I'm not convinced the changes in the fighter were either necessary or particularly desirable, but they don't really seem bad either. It would take some further digging into the feats to judge just how well the new version holds up.

I've only scanned the monk and haven't gotten into the ki powers yet, but I like what I'm seeing. For all practical purposes, their attack progression matches the fighter's, they get to +5 (the highest bonus) only a level behind the fighter. I like the ability to penetrate virtually all non-aligned DR handed out at second level instead of parceled out in tiny drabs a few levels behind when it would have been useful. I suspect the ki powers are what's really going to make or break the class and they have that annoying X times per day limitation so things aren't looking quite as good as I'd like.