Sorcerer Bonus Spells - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Sorcerer Bonus Spells

Sorcerer Bonus Spells

Hey all, just a quick question. How many bonus spells per day do sorcerers get? The guide I was using to create one just said that they get more if they have a high charisma score but no real math on how to find out.

Thanks for reading.

Something I have been wondering:
For a character who has no intention of becoming high level, what are the benefits of taking multiple spellcasting classes versus concentrating on one? I can see the benefits in terms of the sheer volume of spells one could cast, how would that balance against the lack of high level spells?

I think focusing on one until level 20 is probably the best thing to do. Even then I would multiclass to something more combat oriented instead. Or Prestige into a better spell casting class.

@Muggie, if you are talking about taking 2 spellcasting classes and having a cap at something like level 12 [using a theruge prc] then it basically works out like this:

Cleric 3/Wizard 3/Mystic theruge 6 (Assuming 20 in both casting stats)
Casts 5th level Wizard and Cleric Spells
# of spell levels: 112
VS
Wizard 12 (assuming 20 in primary casting stat)
Casts 6th level Wizard spells
# of spell levels: 102

The Wizard will be more powerful [able to cast 6th level spells] and he will have more uses of his higher level spells, but he will have less diversity than the theruge and fewer low level spells. Not only, the Wizard also gets access to new levels of spellcasting a whole level earlier.

So yes, Id say it is viable at low levels, but then I also think you'd miss that next level you'd usually have. And you'd never be as good as a pure wizard or a pure cleric. But if your party has neither of those, then sure. Why not.

However, if you are talking about just taking a few levels of a several casting classes in a game that caps off at 6th or something. Then no, not without some way to massively boost your caster level and handle the MAD. (And yes, Im sure somebody somewhere could figure out a way).

You only have so many actions. Better spells are generally better than more powerful ones. Mystic Theurge is a bit rubbish but does win in terms of versatility - however, it's "sweet spot" is L10. Before you can take levels in MT, you have to take three levels of each of your two base classes, at which point you suck. The same applies to Cerebremancer, though Ultimate Magus is better.

If you were faced with, say, Beguiler 1/Wizard 1 vs Wizard 2, well then the multiclass actually has quite a bit to recommend it. However, from L3+ it starts to lose its attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggie2 View Post
Something I have been wondering:
For a character who has no intention of becoming high level, what are the benefits of taking multiple spellcasting classes versus concentrating on one? I can see the benefits in terms of the sheer volume of spells one could cast, how would that balance against the lack of high level spells?
Caster level.

A Wizard 1/Sorcerer 1/Cleric 1/Druid 1/Bard 1/Beguiler 1/Archivist 1. would certainly have a wide array of 1st level spells at their disposal, but they'd be casting them as a 1st level caster whereas a Wizard 7 would be casting his as a 7th level caster. That applies to damage, effect, duration, affected HD, and all that fun stuff.

Even something more modest like a Wizard 10/Cleric 10 is at terrible disadvantage compared to a Wizard 20 or Cleric 20 since both are still 20th-level characters facing 20th-level challenges, yet one only has the spell strength of a 10th-level character.

Sure, there's some prestige classes that help with that a bit, but these examples are meant to address the question, not find ways around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
You only have so many actions.
I think this is a really important point. A lot of newbie players fall into the "but I get a larger variety of spells!" trap. The fact is, every full progression spellcaster gets enough variety to have a useful spell for just about any situation they find themselves in, and since you only have enough actions to cast one spell per round anyway (two if you count swift spells) your versatility is only increasing by a factor of however often you happen to find yourself reaching outside a single spell list for answers to various encounters.