5E Backgrounds for the World of Farland - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

5E Backgrounds for the World of Farland

Awesome, thanks.

These are great. Really broad options. I especially like Former Slave. I'd love to work on one for Quixotic Knight - someone with no training who tries to be a hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge Addict View Post
These are great. Really broad options. I especially like Former Slave. I'd love to work on one for Quixotic Knight - someone with no training who tries to be a hero.
That would be awesome. These aren't too hard mechanics-wise. I say give it a shot.

Okay... here goes the first draft!

Quixotic Knight

Whatever your ideal may be, it is all that matters in your life - and your lack of training will not prevent you from making a difference. Perhaps you were a poor farmer who had not the funds or the class for proper training. Perhaps you are an aging soldier, out of practice and overconfident in his ability. You wander the countryside engaging in conflicts and seeking challenges.

Skill Proficiencies: Your choice of one skill, or tool kit, or simple weapon.
Equipment: Traveler's clothes, leather armor, sack, an old book about a legendary war or battle, one simple weapon in disrepair, one sentimental totem or personal item, one tool kit (only if you chose a tool kit as your skill proficiency).

Vigilante Justice

How did you become a wandering warrior? You can work with the DM to determine these things, or you can choose or roll on the table below to decide.

1 I was once an honorable apprentice. My master was killed. I fight to avenge him or her.
2 I want to fight the evil of this world and the courts are too slow.
3 I want to fight the good of this world and the Lords are too merciful.
4 My family was ruined by a corrupt institution. I fight the system.
5 I was once an average soldier. I use my talents to earn gold.
6 I keep searching for a master, but they all turn me down.
7 I am insane. I have no grasp on reality. I see enemies everywhere.
8 I don't know why I do what I do. But I know nothing else.

Feature: Pied Piper

Children find you easy to trust. It is simple to convince them to help you, or hide you, or lie for you. In return, having a child that has bonded with you may give you inspiration.

Suggested Characteristics

Quixotic Knights are as diverse as any group. For some, they seek justice; for others, they seek chaos. You can work with the DM to determine these things, or you can choose or roll on the tables below to decide.

Personality Traits
1 I display confidence at all times, especially when I don't know what I'm doing.
2 I believe in chivalry. But sometimes it manifests as misogyny.
3 I envy and admire professional soldiers.
4 I distrust any member of one specific race.
5 I am terrified of real life and wish only to live in my own fantasy world.
6 In conversation, I always have a response because I (think I) know something about everything.
7 I believe that simple folk must be defended, even if they are in the wrong.
8 I never give up, and I never lose hope.

Ideal
1 Vengeance. My sole purpose in life is to avenge someone or something. (any).
2 Vigilantism. I will do what the courts cannot. (any)
3 Chaos. It is the only true balance. (chaotic)
4 Helpfulness. If I can help others, it will make the world a better place. (good)
5 Viciousness. I will destroy my enemies and I will enjoy it. (evil)
6 Fidelity. I fight for my god, king, or country. (any)

Bond
1 My weapon, or tool kit, or totem belonged to a loved one, and it is the most valuable thing in the world to me.
2 Only one person truly knows me, and that person is dearest to me.
3 The open road, under the expansive sky, is where I long to be.
4 I always have a soft spot for people who are poor or underprivileged.
5 The god or deity that I worship gives me great peace.
6 The person, people, or group that wronged me still exists, and I will enact revenge upon them.

Flaw
1 There is one race that I absolutely detest. Kill them all.
2 I become fanatically single-minded in trying to achieve my goals, even if it means neglecting immediate concerns.
3 I am obsessed with children and childhood.
4 I have a great deal of difficulty controlling my temper.
5 I too easily trust nobles and other people in positions of power.
6 I think I know everything.

Variant: Quixotic Wizard

Quixotic Wizards are similar to Quixotic Knights in most respects. The nature of the Wizard's abilities is arcane rather than martial. Your skill, weapon, or tool proficiency should reflect this. Perhaps you are a failed sorcerer, or a Wizard's Academy student with great natural talent and no desire to study. Perhaps you are a blackballed student of an evil warlock master. Work with your DM to determine how best to develop this character.

I really like it. I'm thinking of maybe a way to beef up the feature a bit to make up for the one skill and no language. But all in all, well done.

Thanks! beefing it up would be great. I didn't know if being able to choose any one skill was overpowered or not but it seemed like that was a good way to let the player decide what kind of hero they were. Also, I used several of your characteristics from "former slave" so maybe they should be re-worded.

I might take a crack at the Undead Hunter. One time Tim player a class we made up...can't remember what we called it, but is was some type of Undead killer. Ill see if I can find any other the info I kept from that Ravenloft game.

Malcall, that would be cool. Consider whether it should be a background or cleric path. Backgrounds don't really provide any mechanical bonuses. Either would work though.