World of Farland Contest! Major Prizes! - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

World of Farland Contest! Major Prizes!

World of Farland Contest! Major Prizes!

I am pleased to announce that the World of Farland, in conjunction with Myth-Weavers, is holding a content-creation contest.

DETAILS
  • The object is to create quality content for the World of Farland website, within four categories. The categories are: Adventures, Art, Literature, and Miscellaneous (anything not fitting into the other three categories).
  • Submissions in each category will be judged by me and by two other judges picked from the M-W staff.

PRIZES (made possible in part by a generous donation from Myth-Weavers administrators and staff)
  • The first place winner in each category will receive any Wizards of the Coast
    Receiving the book's value in cash is also an option.
    book of his or her choosing (from Amazon.com), shipped directly to him or her. The total value of the book must not exceed $30.00.
  • The second place winner in each category will receive a $10.00 cash prize, deposited directly to his or her paypal account.
  • Once the contest is over, the first place winners from each category will be judged separately as to the over-all quality. The best cross-category submission will win the grand prize: a brand-new, shrink-wrapped, leather-bound 3rd edition Monster Manual. It's a collector's edition with at least a $75.00 value.

RULES
  • All submissions become property of the World of Farland. Authors of any submissions published on the website will be given authorial credit.
  • All submissions must be 100% original creations of the author.
  • Ideas for submissions must be cleared with me. I suggest either PMing me or posting your idea in this thread before you begin work on it.
  • All submissions must relate clearly to the World of Farland, including relevant, easily recognizable details about the world. They should not be "generic" D&D submissions.
  • Submissions will be judged based on their quality and their originality. All decisions of judges are final.

DEADLINES
  • All submission ideas should be approved by October 1st.
  • All submissions must be received by November 1st (this deadline may be extended with sufficient notice to contestants).
  • Email all submissions as an attachment to webmaster@farlandworld.com

You can ask questions about the contest in this thread.

Adventure submissions
  • Must be Fourth Edition DnD.
  • Should consist of at least 4 encounters (either combat or skill challenge) and probably more.
  • Should be formatted roughly similar to WOTC's free adventures.
  • Should contain necessary maps.
  • Should make sense in terms of the setting, with references to the setting.
  • Should be submitted as an MS Word doc. Maps can be sent separately as jpegs.

Art Submissions
  • Can be any style, any medium, colored or not.
  • Can portray Farland-specific characters or places.
  • Can be unspecific in terms of characters or settings but must be compatible with the World of Farland in terms of theme.
  • Must be submitted as a jpeg

Literature Submissions
  • Can be prose or poetry (see linked examples).
  • Can be any length.
  • Settings and characters from the World of Farland must be integral to theme or plot. It cannot be a generic story with "World of Farland names."
  • Must be submitted as an MS Word doc.

Miscellaneous Submissions
  • Can consist of almost anything not fitting into the other categories.
  • Examples might include original feats, characters with statistics, magic items, maps, details about locations, new monsters, etc. "Crunchless" material is perfectly acceptable in this category.
  • The World of Farland setting must be integral to the submission.
  • Should generally be submitted as an MS Word doc (if appropriate).

I'm up for it. Adventures and/or prose, probably. Two questions, though.

Can we enter in multiple categories?

Can we submit multiple entries to each category?

EDIT: No, I don't intend to flood the contest with adventure ideas. I was just wondering.

Sure, I don't see a problem with either one. It's your choice if you have the time and energy to make multiple high-quality submissions. Welcome aboard! When you have your ideas, pitch them to me here or by PM.

Al Right, Far!!!! Great idea! I'm currently working on Darmon's Part 2, but I'll shelve it for now.
Here's my idea - a long short, about 5K or so, about a high-stakes card game somewhere in Farland - OH - at the ruins of Death Downs!

A benign Orc, or two, a couple of Dwarves, an Elf or two, and a few humans. Imagine James Garner, Bruce Willis, Clint Eastwood, Jack Nickelson, etc., all arounda table. Big stakes - each guy who cashes out is removed from all memory, courtesy of Mr. Vornoth.

May be too aggressive, but along those lines. Could be a vehicle for character development.

Question - would they have card games then and there? A good, fair game requires the backs of cards to look very similar. Is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricolus View Post
Al Right, Far!!!! Great idea! I'm currently working on Darmon's Part 2, but I'll shelve it for now.
Here's my idea - a long short, about 5K or so, about a high-stakes card game somewhere in Farland - OH - at the ruins of Death Downs!

A benign Orc, or two, a couple of Dwarves, an Elf or two, and a few humans. Imagine James Garner, Bruce Willis, Clint Eastwood, Jack Nickelson, etc., all arounda table. Big stakes - each guy who cashes out is removed from all memory, courtesy of Mr. Vornoth.

May be too aggressive, but along those lines. Could be a vehicle for character development.

Question - would they have card games then and there? A good, fair game requires the backs of cards to look very similar. Is this possible?
Great to have you onboard, Agricolus. Your story idea sounds good and is approved. And sure, I'd say they had cards during the middle ages. If not, we can put up with some anachronisms.

It is a pity you are going with Fourth Edition rule-set for this. Good luck with your competition and world building Farland. And good luck to all involved!