No! Bad Disney! Not Yours! - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

No! Bad Disney! Not Yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
See, when you encourage people to go looking, you find stuff like this:

The question here though, is whether this is a Disney-sanctioned picture, or just some fan art lol.

Is this the thread where I'm allowed to make snarky remarks about 4th ed.?

Because I've got a whole folder of them, just waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTorrance View Post
Is this the thread where I'm allowed to make snarky remarks about 4th ed.?

Because I've got a whole folder of them, just waiting.
I have my doubts about flame wars being respected on this thread

Looks like there's a solid chance WotC will be forced to revive Saga Edition again in 4-6 years then, seeing as their parent company will own both licenses. More d20 Star Wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
Looks like there's a solid chance WotC will be forced to revive Saga Edition again in 4-6 years then, seeing as their parent company will own both licenses. More d20 Star Wars?
Or if the new game has momentum, they could just buy FFG.

The ownership of dying franchises doesn't have to be a bad thing. Star Wars in the hands of disney gives me...a new hope...sorry, but seriously tried and true is great of course but a new spin might turn a whole new generation of closeted geeks and nerds into gamers. I've already given up on both Star Wars and D&D (yay, pathfinder!), but I'm giving Disney a chance. What's the worse they could do?

Disney is so evil. =( In my copyright law class, I learned that in order to work for them, you have to sign away the copyrights of anything you produce while employed, even if it was on your free time. Even like an IT guy or a janitor, if they draw some character or something while at home, Disney owns it. They must pay REALLY well or have some awesome benefits, because I can't imagine why any artist would want to work for a corporation like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoka View Post
Disney is so evil. =( In my copyright law class, I learned that in order to work for them, you have to sign away the copyrights of anything you produce while employed, even if it was on your free time. Even like an IT guy or a janitor, if they draw some character or something while at home, Disney owns it. They must pay REALLY well or have some awesome benefits, because I can't imagine why any artist would want to work for a corporation like that.
That's actually pretty common among big companies. Hasbro, for example, has that policy, as does American Girl, or Fox Searchlight (I believe). Whether or not that's "evil" is up for debate, but it is most certainly common practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
That's actually pretty common among big companies. Hasbro, for example, has that policy, as does American Girl, or Fox Searchlight (I believe). Whether or not that's "evil" is up for debate, but it is most certainly common practice.
Actually that is most certainly not common practice. I've seen a few of those clauses and I've walked away from jobs due to them. I've also had contracts rewritten to have them removed. Disney is one of those that claims all creative works or inventions while you're employed with them. This is regardless of where you create / invent, if its on company time or not, or if its in any way related to your normal job duties. You could for example be a janitor but paint at home. If Disney wanted to they could claim every single painting you created while employed by them. They have legal ownership of literally everything you do with their employment contract! In fact, unless they've modified they're employment agreements recently, I believe it extends to at least a year after employment ends as well.

The real problem with their lockdown is that as an employee you simply lose your interest in growing your own skills or "stretching" to learn other things. I've known a number of people that work there and they basically do just enough to stay there and not a whit more. You can't work on a personal project you find interesting unless you're willing to fork it over if they like it. And according to your employment agreement they own it lock stock and barrel so you have no rights to it at all.

It doesn't explicitly make them evil of course but I'd never work for them under that particular restriction. In fact, I turned down a job offer from them about 14 years ago specifically because of that particular nastiness. *shrug*

Edit: Oh, and Hasbro... another company I'd never work for (or any subsidiary that fell under the same umbrella employment agreement) based on their employment requirements. The really interesting part of it is that they're really handicapping themselves more than anything else. If they'd work with employees like Google does then they could get talented individuals with great ideas to willingly work on personal projects under their umbrella so to speak. Offering assistance with possible merchandising/market application of those projects would benefit both the employee and the company overall. The approach they (as well as a number of other companies) have taken has the exact opposite effect that they should be going for!

I'm not saying it's smart, I'm saying it's common, and the fact that you've walked away from several jobs for that specific reason supports my point.