Naked Muhammad (now there's a catchy title) - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Naked Muhammad (now there's a catchy title)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
I swear, we should have something like a "if you know this is going to piss people off, don't do it" law somewhere...
No matter what it is, someone somewhere will find offense in anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
And if they don't, devil's advocates will find it for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
And if they don't, devil's advocates will find it for them
I'm offended by the insinuation that I have to play devil's advocate just because no one's offended.

Quote:
I think this was the first lesson the internet taught humanity.

Now quick, erect a law that bans people from offending other people.

Any government that does that first is clearly the beeest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
I swear, we should have something like a "if you know this is going to piss people off, don't do it" law somewhere...
Many countries do, in the UK it was called Incitement (to violence), now it is called Encouraging.

Personally I don't see why anyone should stop doing something legal and reasonable due to threat of violence, and I can understand why some people would stubbornly uphold their right to do so rather than be cowed - to stop their actions being shaped by intimidation.
At the same time it does seem needlessly provocative to deliberately offend a very sensitive portion of global society, at a time when it is most fragile.

I dunno if this is the exact time the arab world is most fragile more than any other time that could be pointed out after the crusades (pretty much). Would you consider the ottoman empire fragile (even if it doesn't exist today)?

I don't think muslims are fragile any more than they make themselves out to be - saying your fragile makes you fragile, only because you admit it. If you go forth and prove you aren't fragile then you won't be fragile. If you continue to play fragility, then you will remain fragile forever. It isn't a test of ego or shamelessness (although I'm sure many muslims wouldn't want to admit weakness even when emotionally showing it) so much as who has the right to intimidate whom.

Quote:
There's a difference in people finding something offensive when that was not the intention, and whacking a killler bee hive with a big stick just to piss them off. Naked Muhammad has no other goal than to upset Muslims.

I'm a lot more willing to defend the Charlie Hebdo cartoons than say the Innocence of Muslims film. We're talking about a satirical magazine that was firebombed last year for releasing an edition that was 'guest edited by Mohammed'. Sure, the latest cartoons are ill-advised and poorly timed, but this is a magazine that pokes fun at everything and I can appreciate them not wanting to back down.

The difference is that they arent just spewing hate, it's satire and the people being offended by it have to go out of their way to do so considering they have to go out and buy something that they're clearly going to disagree with.

It's the same reason I'll go out of my way to defend South Park. You get hilarious hypocrisy like Isaac Hayes quitting (because it's fine to poke fun at everything else, but when it's his religion they've gone too far.).

Basically I only have a problem when things are put out there that serve no purpose other than to offend and antagonise people.