NSW Fires - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

NSW Fires

NSW Fires

As a former long time resident of Southern California, I know how wildfires can affect peoples lives. I want all the Weavers down under to know I am praying for you and your families dealing with these unfortunate events. God Bless You All.

Link

I live maybe an hour's drive from the Blue Mountains and this has dominated the nation's conversation for about 4-5 days now. There was hope for a reprieve over the weekend but it's still damn hot out there. I'm not affected, thankfully, and the fire dept. are using a lot of backburning to control the blaze so we should be alright, but this is not the case for hundreds of houses that are already burned out husks. The terrain in the Blue Mountain makes it very hard to access and fire can jump a vertical cliff when your firefighters can't without rock climbing equipment.

That said, I've been really inspired by how people have been banding together as neighbours and as human beings. Stay safe all.

Yep. In the same situation. The air is thick with smoke today where I live, just about an hour from my favorite spot in the Blue Mountains. Springwood is a lot closer to us than an hour. I had just been thinking about taking a day trip for some hiking when the fires started. I'm actually having mental flashbacks to the Yellowstone fires and the summer of 2000 fires in Montana. Same red angry moon and sun, same smoke filled air that causes my stress induced asthma to flair up at irritating moments. Same discouraging news of loss and destruction on the heels of all the other crap news from both of my countries.

As Earthbound says though, there has been an impressive display of taking care of your neighbor as a result of these fires. It's really encouraging on so many levels to see people lend a hand to one another.

Anyway, prayers for those affected by these fires is greatly appreciated Selwyn.