Windows 8 Upgrade Mentality - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Windows 8 Upgrade Mentality

I like Microsoft updates because I can ignore them and MS keeps supporting the product I keep using.

I hate Apple updates because it means Apple will stop supporting whatever I'm using now, and upgrading is frustrating because it's generally backwards-incompatable.

That said, I love Linux updates despite the fact that they tend to break my installation in some way every few months....

-Kernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkrough View Post
I bought it cause I'm in IT and will eventually have to support it at some level, even if its just my mother calling.
Yeah, I do IT work also and want to learn a bit about it before someone is paying me money to fix it. However I don't want either of my two main PC's to be upgraded and I'm not sure I want to buy a 3rd PC either. I did have one guy call me already because he got an upgrade DVD in the mail from Best Buy and it crashed his laptop and he wanted my help putting 7 back on.. heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
Well if you are a gamer,and can afford the 40$ , windows 8 uses up less resources and has a rewritten kernal to handle blackflow.
Fair enough.

But at the same time I have absolutely no issues playing any of the up to date games I have on max settings. So I'm not sure I'd pay $40 for an unnoticeable change.

I have an HP Pavilion tx1000z tablet laptop (with reactive touch screen) that I currently have Linux Mint 13 running on. And it does run brilliantly. However for a time I had the Windows Developer Preview of Windows 8 running on it, along with the wacom drivers and that was quite nice to use. I might just buy a bigger hard drive and install one of my older copies of XP on it just so I can get the Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $40. I'm also very tempted to upgrade my VAIO which is running Windows 7 but has had countless BSOD issues due to Windows not playing nice with Viao hardware and Sony's bloatware (which I have removed). Not a bad deal really, and the offer runs until January.

When my last laptop with Windows 7 preinstalled arrived, I put a Ubuntu installation USB-stick in it before starting up the first time. Erased any trace of Windows 7, including the recovery partition.

So no, I'm not going to try Windows 8.

I stick to Ubuntu,
long term support
LTS versions only. That way, I'm sure I can keep using the system for 5 years.

Windows 7 is a great OS for laptops and desktops. 8 was designed for the tablets (which I don't have). That is how I will use them.

As a side note relevant to the discussion. I'd probably install Linux right away on an apple computer too, but there is very little point for me in buying one. I'm not gadget minded at all. The only reason I bought a smartphone (android) recently was because it was less than 100 euro with full functionality, so I had very little reason not to buy one anymore (except the severely decreased autonomy I now have to live with).

I was a very big Apple fan until about 10 years ago, but most of the reasons I used to hate Microsoft now also apply to Apple as well.

I did have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on one of my laptops, which was borked by a 12.10 update killing my display settings. It was no big deal though, as I swapped the HD and installed Linux Mint 13 which I started using on another computer and prefer over Ubuntu.

That said, I upgraded my Windows 7 VAIO to Windows 8 last night and I am liking it so far. It kept my Windows 7 settings intact and then I installed Classic Shell so I could still feel like I am using Windows (I was spoiled buy the Cinnamon UI in mint, so Windows 8 with Classic Shell is pretty cool).

The computer I am using now also has Mint 13 on it, but I think I might just reinstall XP and then use that licence to upgrade to Windows 8 as well. I had the Developer's Preview running before, and since this is an old school tablet PC (powered by Wacom), I'd like to have an OS that will let me use the Wacom drivers so I can use it for Manga Studio again.

I'm not going to upgrade. Why? Well besides the previously mentioned issues with it being a tablet OS, Windows 7 is working perfectly, I see no reason to rock the boat. Especially considering I'm going into my final year of animation school, I need a computer that works. I don't have time to figure Windows 8 out.

And yes, OP, I totally agree with you about Apple. The only people at my school who prefer Apples are the graphic/industrial designers. All of the animation and game art design students prefer PCs or maybe Linux. The only time I have ever considered the merits of an Apple was in French class, because Apple keyboards can make accents quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Yeah, I do IT work also and want to learn a bit about it before someone is paying me money to fix it. However I don't want either of my two main PC's to be upgraded and I'm not sure I want to buy a 3rd PC either. I did have one guy call me already because he got an upgrade DVD in the mail from Best Buy and it crashed his laptop and he wanted my help putting 7 back on.. heh.
One of the strongest points for Windows 8 is built-in support for virtualization. Some guys over at Spiceworks have been running Windows 8 on their main PC, but primarily as the virtual host OS. They run a virtualized install of Windows 7 to maintain their productivity while still having access to Windows 8 to learn.

If you're worried about your main PC, yank the hard drive and install Windows 8 to a spare.

I've read some reviews based on one tech's experience with his dad and grandfather. After a literal ten-minute overview of Windows 8, both of the older men announced that Windows 8 was the best version of Windows they'd ever used.

It's also sold over 8 million copies since release ... on October 26th.

So yeah, it's here. It's different. Different can be a little scary, sure, but those of us who claim the title of "IT Professional" have a responsibility to actually use new technology with a critical eye. I've already recommended some of my clients stay with Windows 7. I've also helped a few move to Windows 8.