August Challenge - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

August Challenge

August Challenge

The Challenge: Trapped Room!
System: D&D 3.5e
Party: 4 Level 4 characters, including Melee, Rogue, Arcane, and Divine
Objective: Create a trapped room that the party must cross to continue their adventure. The winner will be the room that creatively provides the best challenge for all of the party members.
Specifications: The room may be of any size up to 25 5'x5' squares, and may contain (or summon) no more than 2 creatures. The overall challenge rating of the room should be no higher than CR8.
Deadline: August 31, 11:59 pm GMT

Ok, I'm currently a bit unable to do a map for this and no DMG (Boo!), but bear with me. Rows are A,B,C,D,E; Columns are 1,2,3,4,5

Place CR X trap equivalents in the following squares: B2, B4, D2, D4, for four corners. The trap is a simple "hole in the floor" floor trap that deals 0 damage, but requires 1 full round action and skill check (DC 15 climb) to get out.

Monster: 1 Cloaker CR 5, 1 Darkmantle (level adjusted to match)

I still have yet to figure out the CRs for the trap, but I figured a few CR 1 items and a CR 1+CR 5 creature who suddenly spring on you in a small room that's dark would be a fun fight

Fighter/Rogue can push the monsters into the trap for easy pickings, arcane and divine casters usually have more options than those classes

Once all the players move into the room, and a stone door crashes down behind them, barring exit; the door has an eye which waits until no players are outside before closing. Within the room are three tiles at the back, one red, one yellow, one green. They are pressure plates, and sink when 50+ lbs of weight is applied to them. On the wall is the following inscription:

"You are trapped in this room, with but one way out.
Hiding in this room are the clues.
Every rock and stone must be searched.
Your time is as short as your breath.
Leave no place unpressed.
Blissfully, freedom comes from the end of the start.
Good luck comes second in each pair."

Below the inscription is a 3''x3''x3'' hole for a cube.
Rubble lies in squares B2, C2, C3, & B3. In this rubble lies a perfect cube (Search DC 20) which fits into the slot below the inscription. Until then, the pressure pads do not sink. The players may also find treasure in the pile if placed there.

There is an added danger. The first two times the squares are pressed in the wrong order, a Bearded Devil is summoned to the room, lasting for 10 rounds. It is summoned in any available square.

Once the squares are pressed in the right order, the door opens, and the players are free to go. The order of the squares to be pressed is Green, Red, Yellow. The final two lines of the inscription say so- Blissfully, Freedom comes from the end of the start - means that the order to press the plates comes from the last letter of the beginning word. In what sentences? The second line of every pair - So, Hiding, Your, Blissfully. Thus, the order is G, R, Y, or green, red, yellow.

CR's:
Door Trap: CR 2 (Mechanical, Pressure Trigger, Manual Reset, Search DC 40, Disable Device DC 15, No damage, no poison, nothing. DC 30 strength to lift. Spell:
I distinctly recall a spell which allowed one to make sensors to activate once something happened, but cannot find it. Help?
Unknown)
Summon Trap: CR 6 (Magic Device, Pressure Trigger, No Reset, Spell: Summon Monster V, 10th level sorcerer)

What do you guys think? Are the clues a bit of a stretch?

Yes the clues are too well hidden, its not even obvious there are any clues. The party will likely defeat the pressure pads by trial and error: 6 combinations of pads = probably summon both Devils before they get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef33 View Post
I still have yet to figure out the CRs for the trap, but I figured a few CR 1 items and a CR 1+CR 5 creature who suddenly spring on you in a small room that's dark would be a fun fight
It doesn't seem too bad to start, but not clear from your description why the players would have to face the challenge vice moving through the room.

Once all the players move into the room, and a stone door crashes down behind them, barring exit; the door has an eye which waits until no players are outside before closing. Within the room are three tiles at the back, one red, one yellow, one green. They are pressure plates, and sink when 50+ lbs of weight is applied to them. On the wall is the following inscription:

"Three plates stand before you.
One combination will unlock them.
The door shall only open to the bearer of the key."

Below the inscription is a 3''x3''x3'' hole for a cube.
Rubble lies in squares B2, C2, C3, & B3. In this rubble lies a perfect cube (Search DC 20) which fits into the slot below the inscription. Until then, the pressure pads do not sink. The players may also find treasure in the pile if placed there.

The pressure pads actually have no true combination to open them. However, after stepping on the first pad, a bearded devil is summoned. This occurs when the next pad is pressed. Once all three are pressed, the door opens. The pads do not rise once they have been pressed, unless the door trap triggers again.

CR's:
Door Trap: CR 2 (Mechanical, Pressure Trigger, Manual Reset, Search DC 40, Disable Device DC 15, No damage, no poison, nothing. DC 30 strength to lift. Spell:
I distinctly recall a spell which allowed one to make sensors to activate once something happened, but cannot find it. Help?
Unknown)
Summon Trap: CR 6 (Magic Device, Pressure Trigger, No Reset, Spell: Summon Monster V, 10th level sorcerer)

Trapped room edited. Better? May have made it too easy this time. No brains needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roi View Post
The pressure pads actually have no true combination to open them. However, after stepping on the first pad, a bearded devil is summoned. This occurs when the next pad is pressed. Once all three are pressed, the door opens. The pads do not rise once they have been pressed, unless the door trap triggers again.
Sweet

Good fix! I award you ten Evil points.

Paranoia will reign free within the room.
Too bad they don't have the alignment thing here anymore...

Hahaha, yea.

As for my room I need to find my DMG, I'm in the process of moving so it's on hold... -_-

I think I was going to have a darkness spell trap in the room to make it even harder to deal with. It's just a random trap room in generic dungeon to throw at a party. Roi's room is way cooler than mine, by far :P

Thank you. *plans to use it in his dungeon crawl, perhaps*