Prestige Class: Longbowman - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

Prestige Class: Longbowman

Prestige Class: Longbowman

A couple of random questions on this:

Why the feat prerequisites? Why Point Blank Shot and not Far Shot (yes, I know Far Shot has a prerequisite of PBS)?

It still makes it attainable by a specialized fighter by 5th level (1:PBS, 1F: Far Shot, 2f: Precise Shot, 3: Weapon Focus: LB)

Thematically, seems to make more sense.

Second, can the "Evasive Attack" ability be used while using Aiming? It would seem to think that it can be, but wanted to make sure.

Also, I'd consider swapping one of the aiming for Greater Weapon Focus or Improved Crit with the longbow as a bonus feat. Not sure on that one though. Fighters might get the plenty of feats enough to acquire it on their own, but Rangers (who would make dandy Longbowmen with favored species) might not.

Longbowman allows you to fire without provoking. That sounds perfect for PBS.
Evasive Attack can be used any time you fire your bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithobi1 View Post
Longbowman allows you to fire without provoking. That sounds perfect for PBS.
Evasive Attack can be used any time you fire your bow.
Actually, a longbowman does not allow you to fire without provoking. Especially the aiming ability. If he's threatened, he gets AOO's against him while aiming, which is why I asked.

Quote:
Aiming (Ex): A Longbowman can spend a full round aiming. At the end of this round, he can make one attack, and the attack gets a circumstance bonus of +1. This bonus increases by one every two levels. If a longbowman is in a threatened square when aiming, he provokes an attack of opportunity as normal for firing a ranged weapon. If he suffers damage, he must make a concentration check (DC 10+ damage dealt) or lose all actions for the round. Evasive action can allow him to avoid this attack.

Except evasive action does allow him to fire without provoking, at least potentially.

Same quote. Different emphasis.
Quote:
Aiming (Ex): A Longbowman can spend a full round aiming. At the end of this round, he can make one attack, and the attack gets a circumstance bonus of +1. This bonus increases by one every two levels. If a longbowman is in a threatened square when aiming, he provokes an attack of opportunity as normal for firing a ranged weapon. If he suffers damage, he must make a concentration check (DC 10+ damage dealt) or lose all actions for the round. Evasive action can allow him to avoid this attack.
That said, the class does need a bit of a rewrite.

Aiming (Ex): A Longbowman can spend extra time aiming, allowing for more precision. As a full round action, he can make a single ranged attack with a +1 circumstance bonus. This bonus increases by one every two levels. The ranged attack provokes attacks of opportunity as normal. If he suffers damage during the action, he must make a concentration check (DC 10+damage dealt). If he fails, the ranged attack is lost.

Improved Point Blank Shot (Ex): The Longbowman gets better at picking out vulnerable areas at range. The range within which he gets the benefit of Point Blank Shot is increased to 50'.

Increased Range (Ex): The Longbowman gets better at shooting at extreme range. All shots for his bow are treated as if they were one range increment closer, to a minimum of 0.

Evasive Attack (Ex): When the Longbowman uses a ranged attack with a bow, he may make a concentration check(DC 15). If he succeeds, the attack does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Piercing Shot (Ex): Having become an expert at exploiting an opponent's weaknesses, the Longbowman can take a full round action to deliver an attack with his bow that counts as a ranged touch attack.

True Strike (Ex): The Longbowman has honed his skills with the bow to an almost unbelievable level. Three times per day as a standard action, he may make an unerring shot with his bow as if true strike had been cast upon him.

How many people do you know are going to try shooting as a full-round action in a threatened square at low levels? Unless there's a wizard or three nearby spell-spamming various defensive magics on the archer, that's a sure-fire (haha) way to get killed, rather than TO kill.

What would you suggest as a tweak?

While I don't know 4th edition all that well (read:I've never read any 4e material), I've always found that ranged characters do best when used as an extension of the rogue, not of the fighter. That is to say, if I were making this class, I would stat it out for ranged sneak attacks, stealth, distanced shots, and high mobility. But, that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable Camps View Post
I would stat it out for ranged sneak attacks, stealth, distanced shots, and high mobility.
That type of build would more than likely be using crossbows instead of longbows.