Miners rescued - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Miners rescued

Miners rescued

On Tuesday 25th April an earthquake trapped 3 men a mile below ground in the Becaonsfield gold mine in Tasmania. Two of the men survived the quake uninjured because they were in a metal cage which created a living space. a 1.2m by 1.2m living space.

They walked out of the mine today, having spent 2 weeks in the cage. It took 5 days to find them, and another 9 days to dig them out.

2 weeks, 2 men, in a small metal cage, and they walked out smiling.

Here's for the human spirit, that kept them sane, and got them rescued.

Re: Miners rescued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilman
Did they have water? How did they make it without a water supply?
It's a "wet" mine, they sucked water off the rocks, and I mean that literally. They also had 1 mueseli bar for food.

Wow... that is great. A great story, and congrats to the men who made it out... not many would be able to go through with that, and still be able to live.

Amazing... Truely amazing. I am in awe at the survival technique of the two, as well as their fortune.

Time they got out - around five/six.

Time it is now - 12:30

Time that has not been spent broadcasting footage and interviews about their escape from the mine in the last 7 hours - about fifteen minutes.

It's hard to feel any empathy for those involved when you've heard about it with every news update on every radio station and TV channel for the last two weeks.

Quote:
Here's for the human spirit, that kept them sane, and got them rescued.
Or, as some crazy woman or another screamed at a reporter

"Only an aussie could survive like that!"

Well, only an aussie would have to survive like that...
Apparently, the day the miners were discovered, a renegade samaritan was able to walk down the original mine shaft, and get close enough to drop a mining glove, and subsequently some food, to the trapped men.
And yet they insisted on burrowing beneath them... That's some alternative thinking, there.

Who cares how much you hear about it... all in all, it is still great, and rather amazing.

no, when its all that they show on tv for two weeks, it gets greatly annoying...

i mean, two miners trapped underground, who are paid lots of danger money every year. sad, sure. worth two weeks news? well, i do not think so. How much have we heard about the hundreds of people dying in third world nations? how much money do people put into rescuing them? but two aussies, probably earning 100k a year, and the nation stops...

..well, the tv certainly did, anyway. such as their highly annoying and quite useless "updates" they continually showed. (that thing was there for ~1/4 or more of the movie. the updates? "Nothing much new has happened yet, but we will take 15 minutes to tell you this!")

Well, I don't watch the news really. Only when I'm bored and all the little kid shows come on and I'm waiting for my computer. But anyways I'm off to WoW.