Batman Shooting - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Batman Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Welcome to Evil. Help yourself to the cookies.
I sincerely hope you're not being serious?

And if so, do you consider any consequence for bad behavior to be an evil act?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
I sincerely hope you're not being serious?

And if so, do you consider any consequence for bad behavior to be an evil act?
I think it's the "no questions asked" part he might be referring to. I know I'm not a big fan of it. Context is important. What he did was absolutely horrible, but that doesn't mean we can't try to learn what happened, and therefore be aware of it in future cases. We can't change what happened, but putting a bullet in him and ending it there isn't going to make what happened to the people any less horrible.

Well by "no questions asked" I'm assuming the context of: 70 people shot by a man in full body armor... man in full body armor caught behind the theater with recently fired weapons... 1 + 1 = 2. What more context do you need?

As for putting a bullet in him, it's called a deterrent. And a lot of the people who already commented about the psychopath wanting to garner attention from this are actually echoing the opinions of FBI profilers and experts that I have heard comment on this and other spree-killings (the difference here, obviously, is that the perp is still living). I believe he is absolutely enjoying the attention and the feeling of power that he gets from this and the longer he lives, the more he gets to enjoy it, which provides a motivation for anyone else with the same goals in mind.

Remove that motivation, add a deterrent, reduce chances of the incident being repeated.

I happen to live in a large metropolitan area where people are killed in smaller acts of violence every day. Literally. Every day. None of the murderers are put to death (I don't even know when the last time the death penalty was applied here). Some of the muderers are caught and placed in prison where they are treated fairly well (many are not first time offenders and have no problem returning to prison). Still more are never caught, or never convicted, and a big reason why is that witnesses are afraid to come forward for fear of retaliation by the criminals. That is called a deterrent. A deterrent in favor of the criminals. Meanwhile, they have no fear of consequences themselves.

I'm a big believer that if you give the criminals more of a reason not to commit crimes, you'll see less crimes being committed. Right now these murderers are counting on the system having mercy on them and making excuses for their behavior, and therefore, they have no fear.

If I had to guess a motive, it sounds like he was just aiming to break the peacetime shooting record, and that's it. Where else are you going to find a massive group of people that gather together at a set time in the dead of night, all of which will be guaranteed too distracted to see you coming?

There's a petition going around the internet to have Bale visit the victims in full costume, as a way to show that there are good guys in the world, too.

While it would be cool of him to do it, I wonder if it plays into the desires of the killer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
I'm a big believer that if you give the criminals more of a reason not to commit crimes, you'll see less crimes being committed. Right now these murderers are counting on the system having mercy on them and making excuses for their behavior, and therefore, they have no fear.
Then stop counting on the system, grab a gun as per your second amendment rights and start shootin'. I'm sure if everyone does it, crime will reduce drastically.

I can certainly understand the sentiment in this context, but once you grant one execption to due process...
Now putting him in general lockup and letting everyone know the guards won't be paying attention is another matter- at least somewhat.

An in interesting note of support for the victims, no studios are going to report box office grosses for this weekend.

This story is tragic, it's the largest mass shooting in US history. The thing that a lot of people don't seem to be mentioning is that this guy must have been severely mentally ill, you don't just get up one day and decide to shoot up a crowd. He was probably an undiagnosed schizophrenic. While that doesn't excuse what he did it does go a long way to explaining it. I doubt the movie had anything to do with it, or even any of the people there, he suffered a psychotic break and it spiraled out of control.

Except that a psychotic break doesn't explain the meticulous planning that went into this, does it? I'm no expert in psychology, so I honestly don't know. I do know that the police chief commented on this, saying that they had to take into account potential defenses and that the extent of the premeditation would go to prove that it was not just a psychotic episode.

And yes, I know due process is necessary. It's just frustrating because the process undertaken by both the law and the press only stands to encourage individuals with a similar mindset.