Batman Shooting - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Batman Shooting

I agree with Solaris; as much as I wish he were on drugs (not wanting to believe someone could do such a thing while in control of themselves) there's too much to suggest otherwise. The way the apartment was carefully rigged, the long-term planning involved in acquiring all of the weapons and loading up in all that gear...

It's obvious this was premeditated, which rules out a drug-induced rampage.

If you don't want it to happen again, Solaris & others, you (or in this case, the investigation) should probably care for the 'why'. Especially if the man's been clearly determined as clinically sane.

My condolences go to the victims of the families & to anyone even remotely related to those victims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post
If you don't want it to happen again, Solaris & others, you (or in this case, the investigation) should probably care for the 'why'. Especially if the man's been clearly determined as clinically sane.
I'm not the investigation, and I find "He is evil" to be a perfectly acceptable reason. I do not care for the nuances of it; he is an intelligent adult who could have just as easily chosen not to do what he did. Nothing besides his own self compelled him to walk into a crowded movie theater and begin killing people. No, I do not care why he did it. I only care that this person is forever removed from our society.
Further discussion of prevention requires delving into political topics, something I find abhorrent when discussing such recent tragedies.

There's at least one email going around in wacko circles that the shooting was state-sponsored as a means to get people to demand that the government get more draconian about gun laws, as part of a government conspiracy to remove the weapons of the populace so that the government can invoke martial law and put dissenters in work camps.

*sigh* I see these kinds of theories every day, because I have a relative who simply won't heed my request to not get this kind of stuff in my inbox.

The thing is that with how long he has been planning this he apparently was not going for maximum carnage- more maximum fear. He has explosives at home and began by using gas canisters apparently as smoke for cover- yet fired his first round into the ceiling and hit relatively few people for having thousands of rounds and having fired "lots and lots of bullets". When he had been arrested he told the police about teh booby trap in his apartment- it's almost like his goal is to try and get life in prison...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlictoatl View Post
There's at least one email going around in wacko circles that the shooting was state-sponsored as a means to get people to demand that the government get more draconian about gun laws, as part of a government conspiracy to remove the weapons of the populace so that the government can invoke martial law and put dissenters in work camps.

*sigh* I see these kinds of theories every day, because I have a relative who simply won't heed my request to not get this kind of stuff in my inbox.
That falls in there with 9/11 Truthers
"The government killed thousands of people!"
And they didn't kill you to cover it up!
* and Birthers
At this point, I think Obama's just trolling them.
*. Paranoid stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post
Trying to prevent acts like this is nearly impossible. People with no moral compass or regard for the lives of others have been killing and commiting atrocities since the beginning of time, and this is no different. The only hope is to spot behavioral patterns before the fact, but the problem with that kind of profiling is that you wind up shaking down a thousand people just to get to the one potential killer. At the same time, another madman who doesn't fit the exact profile slips through the cracks, kills a slew of innocents, and the whole process starts over again. Unfortunately, evil is something that we have to live with and we will never fully understand. This man is obviously deeply disturbed. Whether or not that qualifies him as clinically insane, I have no idea. But to try and figure out "why" would require one to be able to think like the shooter, which I myself would never be able to do.

If anything, the one thing I've heard in this thread that makes any sense at all is to stop giving these mass murderers so much press, but sadly, people are attracted to these kinds of stories, and they want to learn as much as they can about the arch-villain, as if they're watching a superhero movie or reading a graphic novel. It doesn't surprise me at all that he chose this venue.

That said, I wouldn't have a problem if they put a bullet in this guy's head, no questions asked, and rid the world of him before he can enjoy another second in the spotlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
That said, I wouldn't have a problem if they put a bullet in this guy's head, no questions asked, and rid the world of him before he can enjoy another second in the spotlight.
Welcome to Evil. Help yourself to the cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Welcome to Evil. Help yourself to the cookies.
Negative, the desire to see an evil man dead is not in and of itself evil. It is the sentiment which forms a foundation of the good man doing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
How do you know he did it to become famous? The only thing that's clear right now is that he's a dangerous psychopath... and a perfect opportunity for scumbags to promote their prejudices.
How do I know? Lets see, he was wearing protective equipment, head to foot. And surrendered immediately when the police arrived. This tells me that he wanted to live through this situation. No going down in a blaze of glory or anything like that. He wanted to live to see his name all over newspapers and being spoken on every Television.