Batman Shooting - Page 6 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Batman Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
I saw the petition. While I greatly appreciate the sentiment, I can't help but feel it's a tad bit... I don't want to say disrespectful, but a) has a pretty decent chance of triggering bad memories for the victims, if not full-blown PTSD, and b) puts the focus back on the movie this happened in, which I feel isn't really the point and shouldn't be the point.

Though I wouldn't mind the actors and crew doing something nice for the victims, including visiting them, but full-costume is taking it a bit far IMHO. Still, nice sentiments.

i agree it would be nice for the actors and crew to visit the victims, but in costume would just bring the focus back to the wrong item...

This man had a problem, and the problem was not the movie. The problem lied somewhere within himself.

That's true. There are a lot of people that like to blame a movie or a t.v. show as the reason that someone did a horrifying act of violence. When in reality, it was that person's fault all along. People who want to hurt others will do it no matter what kind of violence is portrayed in media.

I only meant that I think the time/place was less due to any association with the actual film - though it could be, we'll see how the investigation goes - and just that it presented a pretty good opportunity for a mass killing: A large amount of people in a dark, relatively small space (in comparison to the number of people) with loud noises and a single major light source, all of whom are staring pretty intently at a specific point. I'm not pointing any blame at anyone, I just don't want people to think of this specifically as related to The Dark Knight Rises, at least not without further proof that there was any reason for this specific movie beyond sheer opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
I only meant that I think the time/place was less due to any association with the actual film - though it could be, we'll see how the investigation goes - and just that it presented a pretty good opportunity for a mass killing: A large amount of people in a dark, relatively small space (in comparison to the number of people) with loud noises and a single major light source, all of whom are staring pretty intently at a specific point. I'm not pointing any blame at anyone, I just don't want people to think of this specifically as related to The Dark Knight Rises, at least not without further proof that there was any reason for this specific movie beyond sheer opportunity.
Didn't Holmes call himself the Joker after the shooting? I'm pretty sure he targeted this specific movie out of infatuation and he clearly planned everything ahead of time. If the trap he set up in his apartment building would have gone off as planned, the shooting would have gone much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus75 View Post
Didn't Holmes call himself the Joker after the shooting? I'm pretty sure he targeted this specific movie out of infatuation and he clearly planned everything ahead of time. If the trap he set up in his apartment building would have gone off as planned, the shooting would have gone much worse.
With all due respect, one line immediately after an event doesn't necessarily indicate fascination. It's way too early to peg down why he did this, at least with the information that's been released. Honestly (and this is pure speculation) it reads more to me like a macabre joke than any sort of statement on his psychological mindset.

Wishing the death of an individual because the information you have now has lead you to conclude that they are 'evil' while expressing a lack of interest in any further information that might become available that could change your assessment itself is evil, as far as I'm concerned.
There is a reason we have rules concerning 'due process', 'innocent until proven guilty', and 'cruel and unusual punishment'.
Summary execution violates each of them.
State complicity in mob-'justice' (ie. releasing him into the general prison population and making it known that the guards will not interfere, as suggested earlier in this thread) violates at least two of them, and probably all three.
Both of those are evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadford01 View Post
Now if they had the execution express line like Texas.....
The one that bypasses due process?

So my suggesting swift justice makes me just as evil as a guy who thoughtlessly shot seventy people.

Your judgement is... intriguing.

It does not by pass due process, it shortens it so that it doesn't take billions of dollars to prosecute some one who deserves it. Situations like the one we are talking about here.