Idea for an Elder Scrolls V campaign? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Idea for an Elder Scrolls V campaign?

Idea for an Elder Scrolls V campaign?

I'm thinking of running a DnD game with some friends, and I had an idea of what it could be about.

The plot kicks off with the party being hired by Balgruuf the Greater, Jarl of Whiterun, to retrieve a pair of Dwemer artifacts that fell from the sky; one retrieved by the Stormcloaks, the other by the Thalmor. Each group is racing to unlock the secrets hidden in the artifacts, in hopes of using them to overthrow the Empire. But unbeknownst to them (and with any luck, unbeknownst to the players until the reveal), the artifacts don't actually contain any secrets, because the "Dwemer artifacts" are actually Wheatly and the Space Core from Portal 2. But in spite of this both sides are itching to go to war, fearing that the other side will succeed in unlocking whatever unspeakable power they believe is hidden in the spheres.

Think this is a good idea for a campaign?

XD XD XD As long as your friends have no issue with sudden humor out of left field, then sure. Heck, I'm sure most of them would get a kick out of it (I know my friends would... might have to run this idea sometime, XD).

I wouldn't use it for an overarcing campaign though, perhaps. Idk, maybe, maybe not, seems like a lot of lead up to a joke. Depends on how big of a campaign you wanted to run over time though.

Short Answer: Sure, go for it, what could it hurt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos James View Post
XD XD XD As long as your friends have no issue with sudden humor out of left field, then sure. Heck, I'm sure most of them would get a kick out of it (I know my friends would... might have to run this idea sometime, XD).

I wouldn't use it for an overarcing campaign though, perhaps. Idk, maybe, maybe not, seems like a lot of lead up to a joke. Depends on how big of a campaign you wanted to run over time though.

Short Answer: Sure, go for it, what could it hurt?
The idea is that everyone thinks the Cores are MacGuffis of Forbidden Mysterous Power, when in reality they're nothing of the sort. It's less that the plot centers around the Cores so much as they are the spark that sets off the powder keg. And unless the party can convince both sides that this is just a big misunderstanding (good luck with that), they'll probably go to war. So it's basically a ridiculous scenario leading to a deathly serious outcome.