Games for beginners - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Games for beginners

Thanks for the responses. I have read through the game DrMorganes posted, and while I still have many questions I understand how the PbP works. And with a little help from others around, I'm getting the hang of the whole character creation/application stuff down. Thanks again for the help.

my game well be hitting combat shortly. feel free to sick around for the fireworks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
my game well be hitting combat shortly. feel free to sick around for the fireworks!
I highly recommend watching that first encounter with the combat too. Many games on here, including the doc's, use ditzie, a web-based battlemap developed by one of this community's own infact. It's quick to pick up once you see it in action.

As for learning the games themselves, that comes with time (repetition) and looking up rules as your characters fall into more and more situations is always the best. Don't worry about making the best and most effective characters at first, just play what you want to play. Pbp goes alot slower in terms of pace so it's much more forgiving. The Gm has alot more time to scale encounters down, fudge dice rolls, etc. if you accidentally get into a bind or your character is under powered.

If you want to learn a completely new setting, either play a character with alot of knowledge skills and roll such checks often, or read a few games in the setting you want to play before jumping in. Most of the time, you know more about the setting then your characters - but not always. Sometimes you characters know more and the GM will fill you in.

Finally, talk to the GM regularly. About your character, about backstory, the setting, if they have any suggestions, what your thinking of taking for level up when you start getting close to that mark, and about events in the game that you really liked. GMs love to talk about the game they're running, and they love players taking alot of interest in it especially. It's a bragging rights thing: us GMs like getting our egos stroked when we do something clever or have a good plot twist or run an interesting story. And the better of an idea the GM has about what you as a player like, the more fun everyone is going to have overall.

Oh don't worry, I'm not about to stop reading. After a while it reads like a book and you just want to know what happens next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkatschke View Post
Oh don't worry, I'm not about to stop reading. After a while it reads like a book and you just want to know what happens next.
Yeah that is the big issue with play by post, takes forever, but on the other hand gives time for more quality RP.

Also, that quote "Satisfaction is the death of desire", so one could argue that the fact it takes that long makes it better, cause you spend more time looking forward to the next post.

fkatschke, I'm actually starting up a level 1 one-shot for Scarecrow71. We have room for one more, if you're interested in playing. It's really simple, PHB only for everything. And I have two longtime veteran players and one who has played for a moderate amount of time that can help you with character creation if you get stuck.

I'm looking for a game for beginners I have played d&d a long time ago in 2nd ed but just getting back into it. Willing to try just about anything and have been playing with a few char sheets so prob can custom in anything lacking. Thanks

What books do you have, solitar? And for what games/editions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutio361 View Post
I'm about to get started putting together a Swords & Wizardry game using the core rules
Swords and Wizardry is very cool, I thoroughly recommend it

Personally, I think that D&D 4E is a pretty good gateway game for luring people onto the dark path of roleplaying. It's not hugely difficult, leads people by the nose through character creation, and with the online tools you can make a character really easily.