Us Senate rejects gunshow background checks - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Us Senate rejects gunshow background checks

90% of Americans approve of background checks to keep guns from the criminal and the insane. That's all this legislation was meant to accomplish.

The fact that U.S. Representatives cannot do that much just seems to tell me that they're not really representing their constituents. Just the guys that give them money for their elections.

I want another country for no.1 superpower please. Any will do. I'm just sick of having to care about these stupidly corrupt politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post
I want another country for no.1 superpower please. Any will do. I'm just sick of having to care about these stupidly corrupt politics.
Give China about a decade, maybe less, and they'll be there

Yeah, regardless of whether or not you personally support this legislation, it's pretty incontrovertible that it is the will of the American people. We want this legislation to happen, and by failing to pass this legislation, the Senate Republicans are betraying the will of their constituents. I will be surprised to see an uncontested GOP seat in the next election, where the incumbent doesn't face a major challenger from either party.

I highly doubt that the Senator from Texas (just an example) is betraying his constituents. They represent the people of their state more than they represent all of us. While that may sound like an argument in favor of secession, it's more to point out you have to have people in their state (and thus people that can vote for them) give them an earful before they will care more about what they think than they do what the NRA thinks.

Geek, as a Texan, I can say that I feel betrayed by my senators. Then again, I generally vote more liberal, and almost ALWAYS feel betrayed by my state's representatives.

There is no such thing as a Gun Show Loophole. There is also no such thing as an Internet Loophole.

Read the gun laws that are in effect, and you will have a better understanding of why we need to enforce what we have, not make new laws that will have no impact on those that do not follow the law.

Remember, that criminals do not care what the law says. That's what makes them criminals.

So because a criminal won't follow the law, then you shouldn't bother to make laws at all? Why is it so offensive that you're forced to follow the same procedure at a gun show as the one you would at your friendly neighborhood gun shop? It's not like they're introducing a new more rigorous background check, and the bill in question explicitly forbid establishing a gun registry with the data. Also, it's all well and good to say that the US needs to enforce the gun laws it has when it hasn't had an ATF chief for almost a decade now and Republicans refuse to even look at any of Obama's proposals for the position. You've just moved from one example of the malicious incompetence of the Republicans to another example of their malicious incompetence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savayan View Post
So because a criminal won't follow the law, then you shouldn't bother to make laws at all? Also, it's all well and good to say that the US needs to enforce the gun laws it has when it hasn't had an ATF chief for almost a decade now and Republicans refuse to even look at any of Obama's proposals for the position. You've just moved from one example of the malicious incompetence of the government to another example of their malicious incompetence.
No... You make sensible laws, which we already have.. and then you enforce them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
Yeah, regardless of whether or not you personally support this legislation, it's pretty incontrovertible that it is the will of the American people. We want this legislation to happen, and by failing to pass this legislation, the Senate Republicans are betraying the will of their constituents. I will be surprised to see an uncontested GOP seat in the next election, where the incumbent doesn't face a major challenger from either party.
Just curious, but what was the popular support for the Iraq war just prior to the invasion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmasterflash View Post
Seeing how this is about gunshow and internet sales loopholes, I am not sure what the above is meant to express?
What internet sale loophole?

Quote:
You ignore the fact that guns are dangerous? There is a homicide with a gun every day in the United States, most of those being legal purchases. My personal opinion would be that we should require insurance on any gun, and if it's used in a crime (committed by you or just someone that stole your weapon) then you should face penalty, be they monetary or criminal. I don't think we should ban gun ownership, but we need to enact some much tougher laws ON GUN OWNERS. Because it's legally purchased guns that do most of the damage.

You, sir, do not seem well acquainted with the art of backing up your points with evidence. Allow me to illustrate how it is done by example.

If I were to, say, contest your opinion and state that illegally owned guns poise the most threat to Americans, I would begin by examining the statistics of gun crime. The National Institute of Justice, for example, provides information on this matter.

Interesting bits:

Quote:
How Prevalent is Gun Violence in America?
According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, 467,321 persons were victims of a crime committed with a firearm in 2011.[1] In the same year, data collected by the FBI show that firearms were used in 68 percent of murders, 41 percent of robbery offenses and 21 percent of aggravated assaults nationwide.[2]
Most homicides in the United States are committed with firearms, especially handguns.[3]
Homicides committed with firearms peaked in 1993 at 17,075, after which the figure steadily fell, reaching a low of 10,117 in 1999. Gun-related homicides increased slightly after that, to a high of 11,547 in 2006, before falling again to 10,869 in 2008.[4]
Quote:
Gangs and Gun-Related Homicide
Gun-related homicide is most prevalent among gangs and during the commission of felony crimes. In 1980, the percentage of homicides caused by firearms during arguments was about the same as from gang involvement (about 70 percent), but by 1993, nearly all gang-related homicides involved guns (95 percent), whereas the percentage of gun homicides related to arguments remained relatively constant. The percentage of gang-related homicides caused by guns fell slightly to 92 percent in 2008, but the percentage of homicides caused by firearms during the commission of a felony rose from about 60 percent to about 74 percent from 1980 to 2005.[5]
Quote:
Who Has Guns and How Are They Acquired?

NIJ's earliest firearms studies uncovered who owns legal and illegal guns and how illegal gun trafficking is tied to juvenile gun violence and other crimes such as drug dealing and gang crime. Highlights of these studies:
Many juveniles and young adults can easily obtain illegal guns; most claim to carry them for self-defense.
A study of persons arrested for a wide range of crimes showed that a higher percentage of arrestees than regular citizens own firearms. Arrestees are also more likely to be injured or killed by gun violence. Within a community, this amounts to an identifiable group of “career” offenders.
Surveys of offenders have found that they prefer newer, high-quality guns and may steal or borrow them; most, however, acquire guns “off the street” through the illicit gun market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragyn View Post
No... You make sensible laws, which we already have.. and then you enforce them.
Look up the Tiahrt amendment which was introduced by the gun lobby to defang what laws the US had on the books.

At this stage I have more hope of china becoming a democracy than gun control of any form in the US, even something as pissweak as background checks.