Pokemon Dilema - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Pokemon Dilema

Two notes -- I am one of those folks that tends to hold onto their starter regardless -- sentimental attachment kind of thing and I tend to play my characters that way -- however there is the practicality of the situation I mean you are not doing your pokemon a good service unless you plan to take them out and train them at least at some point in the future -- and if you are not then perhaps its a good time to find them a good owner that will help the pokemon become a stronger pokemon

maybe gift them to sibling or a cousin or something like so that you have a means of easily checking in on how they are doing.

We had a loving well-behaved cat once that we totally adored but due to a change in life-style we did not have time to spend with it and it had to sit alone in a house about 95% of the time. We thought that was unfair to the cat, so we found it a good home with someone that could spend quality time with the cat. We missed the cat but we felt it was in a better place. -- So that kind of concept is what I would be looking at when I look at that pokemon situation

Yeah I think I am going to keep the starter, if only because of some lovely RP moments that I can have and describe between the family unit as it were. Then when the Rhyhorn is a little older than just 2 days, it can have the whole teen stage and then I might consider sending one or the other permenantly to the box.

I picked it out of a list of pokemon that we were allowed to take as our starter. GM was using some standard and some none standard pokemon as the starters.

That's awesome. Rhyhorn isn't my favorite, but I like the expanded starter choices. I should get the rules for this game...

Well if you wanted, then I theoretically have spaces I can put you into in my game Bribes. Its a very fun system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbreonMessiah View Post
I dunno, if I was a level 13 Rhyhorn being put out to stud, I might be pretty proud of myself.
I think every male wants to be used for his body at least once, lol.

On topic: This is one of those situations where game mechanics get in the way of a good story. I'd talk to your DM about it.

On the other hand you might wanna re-read the rules on "breeder". I haven't read the rules for a few iterations but I don't think 9 skill points is supposed to be a realistic stat boost for a level 13 starter. You'd have to be trainer level 8 or so get that high of a number. Which should really be possible that early in the game.

Personally, I would hash out the issue in-character in almost the same terms as out of character. While the character wouldn't say things like "+9 stat points to HP and SP DEF", he would say something like, "Its amazing how the son is already clearly stronger than his mother. I'm so impressed-- but I don't want (insert momma's name here) to feel like she's being replaced."

Maybe even ask other PCs and NPCs for advice in-character. Then come to a decision that seems natural for your character or, perhaps, represents some sort of growth on his part.

With some good writing, you could probably make retiring the mother not seem icky in terms of good roleplaying.

[EDIT] I mean you still would have to be WAY worse to get anywhere near the level of pokemon retiring douch-bagness as Ash in the anime. That guy is a total ass to his pokemon.