Weeping Angels encounter - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Weeping Angels encounter

The reason that they do not smash the statues is because the Doctor is nominally heroic and refuses to take unnecessary life. Why Angels are considered necessary is beyond me, for it seems that they have no predators. They might be temporal anomalies for all we know.

Also there's the possibility that if they're timelocked (in a temporal anomaly field) when you look at them, you are unable to damage them - perfect defense - if you can see them they can't move but you can't damage them; if you can't see them, maybe you can damage them but they can see what you're doing and evade you.

Although, setting up a contingency fireball on one set to go off when it moves would work. I would consider making them Outsiders with Construct traits.

You can't damage the angels in the show because it's their touch that sends you back in time. So, if you where to strike them it kinda defeats the point of trying to fight them off in the first place. So, sure, you could raise their HP or the DR to make them hard, or impractical to kill, or you could throw in a free attack when they take damage that inflicts the paralysis/flesh to stone curse you're designing. Saves are a thing of course, but it will certainly give it a closer-to-the-show feel and dissuade even the most hard-headed barbarian from trying to hulk smash them to bits.

Just be careful with your balance on these guys. I know how sucky it can be to be presented with an enemy that is impossible to kill, and I've seen it kill games. Hopefully you'll figure out a way to present the angels not as things to crush, but as a puzzle to solve. I think that will be the key thing to making the angels work as intended.
So, Perhaps part of their mission is to bring back a church's gaurdian relic in one piece and the relic is described as one of the statues.

There is one great problem with including the Weeping Angels in any d20 game (or rather, in any 3.x or later d20 game, at least, myself not having much experience with prior editions), and that is the problem of 'facing', or rather, its RAW absence.
The game mechanics explicitly neglect to track facing, and without that, either all of the Angels are always active, or none of them are ever active.

Now, you could go with the concentration check someone mentioned before, but that wouldn't be in line with what we see on the show, either. It doesn't take concentration to look at an Angel. They don't project a perception filter. They just turn to stone.

Tedronai the concentration check was to not blink, not keep looking at them but not blink, remember in the show if you blink they move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_moon_wolfess View Post
You can't damage the angels in the show because it's their touch that sends you back in time.
There was a damaged Angel in Angels Take Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EladrinGirl View Post
Tedronai the concentration check was to not blink, not keep looking at them but not blink, remember in the show if you blink they move.
My mistake. At which point, then, without tracking facing, an attempt to track whether or not you blink becomes moot.
It doesn't really matter whether or not you know if someones eyes are open for a particular second if you don't also know which direction they're pointed in.

I wasnt aware of the facing problem. We have always played that a character can see roughly 180 degrees in whichever direction their "front" is. So a unobserved Angel would be any that is in the 180 degrees "behind" them.

For balance, I would have them tied to a puzzle to get out of the room or past them. Not sure on those specifics and looking for ideas on that front.