MtA: Lasting and Ephemeral Fortifications and Wards - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

MtA: Lasting and Ephemeral Fortifications and Wards

MtA: Lasting and Ephemeral Fortifications and Wards

Wanted to gain some fellow players and game masters perspectives about a game I'm piecing together. I want to place a ruined place of some sorts, I'm thinking a temple with some tripped out scenic wards using the magic presented in Mage the Awakening and I'm need of help in filtering through some ideas of making some lasting and short lived wards that would provide some difficulty for a Mage of different schools of magic to overcome. So far I have wards that will need to be opened by passwords, gates that have glyphs and runes that summon creatures, tests of virtue and vice. Visits between the Fallen Realm which is the material world as we know it and the Shadow Realm. A place were the very fabric of reality is ready to spill forth the place called the abyss. Now I have an objective that the players are trying to achieve and I'm creating this place to be in the Mastigos Realm where a verge is ready to spill forth death to all. It could totally ruin any attempts of ascension or awakening and to top it off a artifact is being hunted by five different Inquisitors of the failing Church who has initially sent a representive of each order to the place where it is said to have this artifact. The Temple will be in Peru a forgotten jungle where the Spainish is sending the Conquisitors and the Catholic Church. So there is a physical element to the game in which the Inquisitors will be sleep walkers who are partially awakened because of their Faith in an Exarch of Jesus. Some speculation is that the artifact will be related to the Suffering of the Cross and managed by a soulstone which I have decided to be part of the wood Jesus was crucified on. Now I'm having trouble coming up with how part of the cross ended up at the other side of the world. Also any other advice will help.

The first way to get a piece of wood from point A to point B that I thought of was 'A fairy carried it'. Other options are certainly viable of course.

Wars were fought in the Middle Ages over relics. Unscrupulous private collectors go to great lengths to acquire what they want. Thieves steal whatever they think will bring a good bit of cash. The reasons for how this Maguffin or that got from Point A to Point B are endless.