What would you do? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

What would you do?

What would you do?

I'm running a sandbox d20 game and am trying to plan ahead for the next couple of games. However, my players are a little, unpredicatble, and while I've no hope of covering every single angle they may come up with I just want to know this: If you had just escaped being shot at by men in suits who seem to have some sort of official badge for no reason you know off, what would you do? I'm just trying to think of the possible things I may need to deal with.

I would probably contact a lawyer, get myself some heat, get a hair cut, find a safe house, & possibly try to find a way to get out of state or country. If I had the resources to do so.

It might be better to think about how the men in black would react to a target escaping. What would they do? If you have that figured out, it doesn't always matter what your players do, you can kind of flow chart your bad guys' actions. Or something lol

I agree with Aerzyk. Worry about what your team has as its goals, resources, and methods. If you know what they want to accomplish and the ways they're able to, you should be able to handle whatever the players do.

I also agree that some sort of hiding and/or running is the most logical thing for them to do. Since they're players, they'll probably go to the cops.

what would i do?.....

mum's the word on whether we need to remain a team for this scenario. i would cut my hair, dye my hair, buy a new wardrobe and basically remake my life as i run. where would i run? my first thought would be self preservation so in a direct i feel that would be safest. after that was done i would, quietly, do a fallow up investigation on myself and see where and how these guys came at me and who they are (i, generally, am not a person to care about official people so the badge likely meant nothing to me at the start). from there i might proactively strike back or learn more about them. no matter what i did i would then lay low and see how either, the new suits (if killed) or the old suits (if i kept my distance) react to recent events.

i can keep going if you like....

I'd spy on them, find out who they are, or who they are working for, and why.

If they are with the law, maybe they are corrupt. If they are corrupt, I'd try to expose them somehow.

If they're the law and I am the criminal, I'd either lay low, or setup some kind of ambush.

If they are criminals out for my head, then I'd just sneak up on them and take them out, individually if possible.

If they were hired by my boss, I'd take revenge in the most painful way possible by going after whatever is most precious to my boss and making a show of destroying it, before going after the boss himself.

I suppose I might interrogate one if I get them alone with me. If it turns out I like the guy, or he is actually being coerced into trying to kill me, I might just put him in the hospital, or tell him to leave town, instead of killing him. Heck, maybe I find out that he is the one that needs help.

Go and kill the guys shooting at you? Take the fight to them? I mean, players are notorious for not running if they have the option not to.

Planning ahead in a sandbox? There's your problem!
Spend your time expanding your level of detail on areas nearby and getting some random tables together of things that could happen in the current locale.
Expand detail on local factions that the players could run to for help, struggle to avoid, or exploit for gains.

Generally if something like this happens you can expect Fight or Flight from the players. Plan for neither.

Knowing my home group...

Rob liquor store. Make molotov cocktails. Steal car. Set out for revenge.

Unlike your group, they are pretty predictable... they consistently take whatever complicated, intricate story I have in mind and set it on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilobyte View Post
Knowing my home group...

Rob liquor store. Make molotov cocktails. Steal car. Set out for revenge.

Unlike your group, they are pretty predictable... they consistently take whatever complicated, intricate story I have in mind and set it on fire.
No plan survives contact with the enemy.