The Official Yammering Thread - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

The Official Yammering Thread

It could be. What I did, in my experiment, was used the Johnstone responses of "Yes ands" and "yes buts" to create the rough outline of the setting. Details I later filled in myself, to create a more cohesive and sensible setting. Obviously Johnstoning is going to create an inherent mishmash of ideas--this is not the final copy. The final copy should be completed by the Johnstone Initiator (or JI), aka the GM whose building the setting.

For instance, here's a brief rundown of what we knew:

There were three countries.
One was facist, two were part of a democratic alliance.
The facist one was human-supremacists. The other two were ostensibly not, but one of them (the more economically powerful one) had a lower class that was filled with human-supremacists.

We gave the countries names, and I then wrote out the details: The human supremacists were part of a theocratic facism. The human supremacists in the other country were moles an were supported by the facist nation. The other nation was primarily made up of non-human races.

Suddenly, what were just a few disconnected ideas became a whole story. You're only going to get a rough draft for the setting from Johnstoning, so it's going to require some fine tuning either just by yourself or by a collection of hand-picked individuals.

If you're thinking about a series of threads for the same world but with different topics, I can set you up with a thread prefix. Your choice what it is.

I don't have any experience with this technique at all, so I have nothing useful to offer for organizing it.

That seems a bit excessive for now. We'll start with a thread, if it starts to get a lot of attention and turn into something people are having lots of fun with then sure, we can do that, but lets start small

Also +1 to Dauph, I was just noticing how much cleaner the place is. If the other boards had this level of organization I'd... I don't know what I'd do exactly

I just finished reading up on the wiki description of johnstoning. I like the concept.

WOLT, please count me in the fray.

Agri, are you in?

Hey, y'uins guys....latest update is up on Farlandworld. here on M-W. Yours Truly started another novel-length (hope so) installment of the Darmon series. Enjoy!