Mass Effect d20? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Mass Effect d20?

Mass Effect d20?

Okay so blame it on the arrival of the latest DLC (which I'm putting off doing my coursework to play through at the moment) or my love of the games but over the last few months I've been wondering about the possibility of a Mass Effect d20 game based partially on the d20 Modern/Future system (with some changes) but today it occurred to me that - instead of doing tons of work creating new gizmo's etc. - it would be better to ask about on the board and see if anyone has seen a reasonably usable version of a Mass Effect d20 system which portrays the abilities of the characters fairly well? I realize that there have been other conversions to various systems to play Mass Effect with but the truth is I'm not very familiar with them having only really played d20 games such as D&D3.5e, d20 Future & Pathfinder and as such would rather stick in my comfort zone especially if I was to run such a game.

I have googled the subject and have had some mixed results but though I've found a couple of places where members have spoken about a homebrew system in the works I haven't actually managed to find much in terms of material available. Anyone have any information of a system or any pointers they'd be able to share?

Not d20, but Shadowrun works it fairly well actually. Change Magician quality to Biotic and you're pretty much set aside from races. Although I can see Troll=Krogan, Elf=Asari, Dwarf=Volus (maybe not so much for this).

I think there was already a homebrew system out there...

Yeah I recently saw an advertisement for a Shadowrun Mass Effect game but it's not a system I've ever seen in use and definitely wouldn't want to play about with it myself as a DM in order to play a Mass Effect game using it.

I've actually put together a conversion for Mass Effect using the D20 Star Wars Saga Edition rules for my IRL play group that is going to be getting its first run this weekend. Works fairly well as most of the Star Wars talents work just fine for mass effect.

Any chance you have any of it digitalized and would be willing to let me take a look? I was thinking a 'classless' take on d20 Modern in that there is no Strong Hero or Fast Hero but rather players are given a number of points that allow them to determine their starting HD, skill points/level, class skills known, etc., etc. and then follow the traditional Hero path for level advancement (as in whether a character gets a Feat or Talent at the level) allowing players to choose from any of the talents they qualify for which I'd like to think would give players a lot more flexibility with their concepts.

I am actually working on all the mechanics of using a Savage Worlds version of Mass Effect. Ironically it fits better than most systems given how 'realism' (what portions make sense) can apply to the setting. Savage Worlds would be a lot like playing Insanity difficulty Mass Effect 1-2 :P, where a good shot or two can easily bring your shields and health low. But at the same time, tactics and such make that type of game fun.

If you are interested, I can provide a link to the MW game, though it still has some work to be done on it.

That would be great Scyclone, I don't know Savage Worlds but seeing how different people are doing things might help me when I start playing with stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathsworn View Post
Any chance you have any of it digitalized and would be willing to let me take a look? I was thinking a 'classless' take on d20 Modern in that there is no Strong Hero or Fast Hero but rather players are given a number of points that allow them to determine their starting HD, skill points/level, class skills known, etc., etc. and then follow the traditional Hero path for level advancement (as in whether a character gets a Feat or Talent at the level) allowing players to choose from any of the talents they qualify for which I'd like to think would give players a lot more flexibility with their concepts.
I definitely like Saga edition for this just because while it offers some structure it heavily encourages multi-classing and tweaking to make the character you want. It's definitely not a finished product (needs a couple of prestige classes for the 3 biotic classes), but it seems functional. I'll see if I can get it saved in a pdf.

Well I am planning on running a ME campaign soon with the SW system.

Here is a link of whats there thusfar, still got work to do on the edges.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?g=8762

Since Mass Effect is in some ways a derivative product of the KOTOR series (although, depressingly, it seems to borrow a lot of the boring quests and not the really good ones*), I think the use of the SW ruleset seems logical enough.

I might suggest a fairly quick-and-dirty D6-based rule set, based on Mini Six or something like that. My logic is this: Mass Effect itself is very RPG-lite; all you get to select at the start of the game is a face, a background, a service record, and a class. Only one of those (as far as I know) actually affects your stats in the slightest. There are only about, what, 12 skills in the game? There are only ~4 per character in ME2.

I might actually try to throw this system together. Here's what I've got:

* I say this as a fan of Mass Effect.