DnD Settings, Basic Ideas? - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD Settings, Basic Ideas?

When I read that, I immediately refluffed Kord and Hextor to be names that Ares goes by in the world that I have my players in, usually.

Of course, I also run that each of the settings; Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, Raveloft, Greyhawke, our own world and etc are all mirror Planes of each other and have special spots within each Plane that connects to each other.

There's no reason you couldn't just shoehorn other deities in, but the alterations to the canon would probably be fairly significant. You could do it, but it might not "gel" so well without some work.

Of course, you could also try something like that "many worlds" approach and have that the FR deities and various historic, real-life pantheons are reflections of each other. Maybe Tempus (or Kord or Hextor or whatever) is Ares, just people here have a different name for him the way the Romans called him Mars. Or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnyperos View Post
When I read that, I immediately refluffed Kord and Hextor to be names that Ares goes by in the world that I have my players in, usually.

Of course, I also run that each of the settings; Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, Raveloft, Greyhawke, our own world and etc are all mirror Planes of each other and have special spots within each Plane that connects to each other.
This is pretty much what's in my head as well... in certain cases, they'll share the same god(s) but under different names/avatars, and settings having their own universe/plane all contained within the prime material (parent plane) and all connected in some capacity. Besides the gods themselves, only a very elite group of individuals (that are not gods - e.g. mages, clerics, etc) would be fully aware of these details... or at least that's where I'm headed with this particular FR based campaign. I'm fascinated with origin-based plots, but as you're likely aware, those can very quickly spin out of control, becoming overwhelming to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
but the alterations to the canon would probably be fairly significant. You could do it, but it might not "gel" so well without some work.
Significant indeed... just when you think you've got a possible edit that will fit with the intended origin-based plot, another canon source connection pops up to undermine the rewrite. It's not impossible of course, but difficult as you said... even more so for someone as OCD as I am.

Canon is negligible, as so much actual canon contradicts and overwrites itself. I find it better to just note which canon is in effect in one of your game threads and move on from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarium View Post
Canon is negligible, as so much actual canon contradicts and overwrites itself. I find it better to just note which canon is in effect in one of your game threads and move on from there.
Well of course there's that approach, and a darn good one for sanity sake... the contradictions and overwrites (don't forget all that on-line Wiki crap where anyone can just drop in and type a bunch of BS as if it was in fact canon) are enough to drive someone interested in the historical backbone of a specific campaign setting insane. Wading through all the FR generations is daunting, but I'm doing it because there are some nice tidbits dispersed throughout each of the generational versions that do help to complete the historical backdrop that I'm trying to couple to my pre-history edits.

Anyway... getting way off OP topic. It just caught my attention when the subject of cross-setting story lines came up. Sorry.