Natural Bond, how exactly does it work. - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Natural Bond, how exactly does it work.

I'm sorry if this has been worked out, but I really think that you could only count as a level 5 druid... You do with those levels what you want to do, but it wouldn't offset any penalties from choosing more powerful AC. Not the greatest feat, workable in some multiclass builds I guess.

Rule zero still applies of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letho View Post
I'm sorry if this has been worked out, but I really think that you could only count as a level 5 druid... You do with those levels what you want to do, but it wouldn't offset any penalties from choosing more powerful AC. Not the greatest feat, workable in some multiclass builds I guess.

Rule zero still applies of course
It does though. There are common enough phrases like ECL, C(lass)L, etc.

Well the phrase I coined for this is EDL - Effective Druid Level.

A more powerful animal companion means you treat your level as 3, 6 or 9 lower than it actually is. This feat makes you treat it as 3 higher up to your Character Level (sum of all HD). So it would offset the penalties. So it would offset a -3 penalty, or reduce a -6 or -9 penalty by 3.

What I'm saying is that the EDL in the OP would be 5, and that an AC chosen from the Level-3 list would only get the bonuses that a druid level 2 would grant (one extra trick, link, share spells). If he went up in levels, his EDL would go up accordingly, if he went up two levels in a non-druid class his EDL would raise by two, if he went up another one, it would stay the same.

What I'm saying is that a 5th level druid with a black bear would normally treat the bonuses for the bear as a Druid 2.

But with the feat, it would be the full 5. The feat specifically says that it changes the level for determining the bonuses for an animal companion. So if you're treated as -3+3 then the net change is 0. Therefore its a full 5.

It would be no good to a druid 5 with a wolf, but it would work for a druid 2 fighter 3.

I see your point but I disagree . The different lists are there to offset the power they get over the level-0 list, to put them in a (more or less) equal footing. Using the feat that way would mean that more powerful animals would get preference over weaker ones, as said before. If you have an AC from the level-3 list with bonuses from a level 4 druid, you're using an EDL of 7.

See also: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread...7#post14251957
http://forums.gleemax.com/archive/in.../t-795991.html (second post)

You know why I'd allow it? Because it cost you a feat. I mean geez, a feat for that. To be honest, I'd never take it, ever. 1 because I don't really see AC as that essential, and 2, because there are so many better feats to take.

Ahh, but's that's a different argument altogether... I think I would allow it too (I'd have to think about it), but that definitively is not the use the feat was intended to.

I dunno, its another RAW vs RAI thing. RAW, it would offset, RAI, maybe not. But rules are rarely written well, hence to proliferation of the rules lawyer.

And that would be me . I'm not against the other use and might houserule it so, but (for me and others in the other boards at least) it's reaching

I'm good at rules lawyering in areas I know (Wildshaping, Magic of Incarnum & Dragons especially) but I'd be no use with a paladin blackguard's rules.