Notices

Jack Lewitz

For your consideration: This is stuff I put in the original application thread after you posted your character.

for Ekman1.) The two background skill proficiencies of the Prodigy background must both be "Common Lore" skills, not simply anything you choose. See page 99 (in the Modified Rules chapter) for the AE definition of what Common Lore can encompass.

2.) As stated on the second page of "Character creation chapter Errata, and Dark080matter's handy newbie guide to Adeptus Evangelion character builds," the Berserker career's starting talents must be modified such that you choose either a Weapon Upgrade Point or a Biological Upgrade Point. This is a balancing modification to the text, as the other classes must also choose between two different starting upgrade points.

3.) In the same vein, another piece of Errata that applies to your character is the change to the "Untrained Eye" background trait. It's now a penalty to both WS and BS, in order to de-trivialize the choice of that penalty.

That's not a comprehensive character review, but it covers a few major points I saw in a quick review before. If you've already fixed these, then feel free to disregard. I will need to see your finalized decisions on Career Advances bought and so forth before I can completely approve it for a final character sheet though. You can post a rough draft here when you've got it.

Also, if you're still uncertain what to spend your extra 100 experience points on, you could probably do much worse then another Biological Upgrade Point to shore up your Eva's toughness and bump up your wound totals. Or just use the free BUP that you can choose with the class for that, then devote the leftoever point to Strength or something.

Alright. Do you think I should be using close combat weapons as a berserker or trying to develop natural weapons?

Also, I noticed that the Neo-Spartan class has a "no problem with authority" background trait that gives a bonus to following orders, is it possible to take the opposite of that to replace Untrained Eye? I don't think it's unreasonable for a civilian child to have issues with being told what to do, is why I ask.

It seems to me that both options have their pros and cons, and eventually a fusion of the two might be the best solution. There's nothing saying a berserking Eva can't use the manufactured melee weapons it has available to it, but if those are ever broken or incapable of being deployed with then a back-up form of natural attacks is probably a good asset to have for the Berserker who needs to be able to keep fighting effectively. Eventually Biological research and upper-tier Berserker career talents give your natural weapons a variety of very interesting abilities, to the point they might be desirable over a progressive melee weapon in the right circumstances.

For the moment though, at least hang onto that Progressive Knife. It can be remarkably effective so long as it doesn't break apart. You can probably go for a battle or two with just that if you're lucky, but eventually you'll want Progressive Weapon Training, a heavier (preferably Progressive) weapon, and/or natural weapons to diversify your options.

To replace Untrained Eye.. hmm, I can see it. It sounds like it could work well for Jack. How about this:

Authority Issues
You're no blind and blinkered soldier; the seemingly-noble goals of Nerv haven't closed your eyes to the absurdity of a 'chain of command' that would probably think nothing of ordering you to your death for their own fleeting tactical advantage. Whether due to personal history, a naturally-contrary personality, or simple paranoia, your mistrust of authority figures causes you to balk whenever ordered to do something as you weigh the consequences and reconsider the trustworthiness of the individual in question.

Whenever demands or orders are made of you by someone in a nominal position of authority over you, you suffer a -10 penalty to any tests made in fulfillment of those orders in subsequent turns, even if it is a course of action that you might have already taken on your own initiative.

What is a "test" in this game? Would the -10 apply to combat etc? If it is basically any die roll then it might be too much; the Neo-Spartan trait just has the bonus to two specific things I think.

Also, can you make a thread with a link to the rule pdfs? I went to my post history and was able to get to the Game Ad thread and download the rules, but it would still be handy if they were here in the forum for if somebody is away from their regular computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekman View Post
What is a "test" in this game? Would the -10 apply to combat etc? If it is basically any die roll then it might be too much; the Neo-Spartan trait just has the bonus to two specific things I think.
Yes, a test is any kind of roll. But I miss-typed a key phrase, here's what it was meant to be. But yeah, it is kind of a big drawback, until you manage to convince everyone to never give you any advice.

Authority Issues
You're no blind and blinkered soldier; the seemingly-noble goals of Nerv haven't closed your eyes to the absurdity of a 'chain of command' that would probably think nothing of ordering you to your death for their own fleeting tactical advantage. Whether due to personal history, a naturally-contrary personality, or simple paranoia, your mistrust of authority figures causes you to balk whenever ordered to do something as you weigh the consequences and reconsider the trustworthiness of the individual in question.

Whenever demands or orders are made of you by someone in a nominal position of authority over you, you suffer a -10 penalty to any tests made in fulfillment of those orders in your most immediate subsequent turn only, even if it is a course of action that you might have already taken on your own initiative.

It's kind of harsh, but also can be averted, unlike some Traits that are a constant penalty. I imagine that your Operations Director will be savvy enough to avoid granting these penalties too much, but at the same time it might interact rather poorly with a number of their career's bonuses which require giving you helpful advice, targeting data, etc. Hence the universality of the penalty, so that it will definitely modify people's approach to handling the pilot in combat.

Is it too harsh? Maybe, but the Prodigy background is one of the better ones for the extreme focus of it's beneficial properties. Don't take it if you don't like it.

The change is pretty important. I'm no powergamer, but I didn't want to get an order in the beginning of a battle to the tune of "Destroy the Angel" and then be at -10 to everything for the rest of the battle and thus a liability to the team. It'd be like him taking a shot of tequila every time somebody tells him what to do Eva battles are a very bad time to play a drinking game... or maybe the best time?

Anyway what is most important is that it'll have the desired effect of having his commander(s?) needing to handle him differently, like you said. Thanks for typing up the rule and working with me.

I think that's all my questions, sheet will be done soon. Looking forward to the game.

Character Application
Name Jack Lewitz
Nationality USA
Background/Career Path Prodigy/Berserker
Age/Gender 17

Game sheet

Weapon Skill: 36
Ballistic Skill: 33
Strength: 34
Toughness: 34
Agility: 34
Perception: 31
Intelligence: 26
Willpower: 33
Fellowship: 32
Synch Ratio: 67

Fate Points 3/3

Background Traits
A10 Sensitive
Synch Flux

Open Mind
Authority Issues

Assets
Innovative (200xp)
Made For Each Other (200xp)

Drawbacks
Ineptitude: Swim (+100 xp)
Short Fuse (+100 xp)
Compulsive Behavior: Smoking (+100 xp)

Trained Skills
Dodge, Intimidate, Common Lore: United States, Common Lore: Science

Gear
Plugsuit, Nerv ID

Career Advances
Ghost in the Machine(200 xp)
BUP (100xp)

Ego Barrier 100%
Insanity Points 0

Evangelion Sheet
Evangelion Unit 04 (Dark Yellow/Neon Purple)

Movement 6/12/18/36

WS 51
BS 45
Str 30
T 32
Ag 39

Weapons
Cranial Horn [1d5+1 R, Pen 0]

Prog. Knife [1d5+6 R, Pen 3, Progressive]

Pallet Gun [Basic, Range 30, RoF S/-/3, 1d10 I, Pen 0, Clip 6, Rld: 1Full, Inccurate, Unreliable]

Current Synch Ratio 67%
ATS 0 / 0 / 6

Distinquishing Features

Destructive
Cranial Horn
Lightweight Chassis
Patchwork

Wounds Chart
Hit location (AP) Wounds/Current:
01-10 Head (1) 3/3
11-20 Right Arm (1) 5/5
21-30 Left arm (1) 5/5
31-70 Body (3) 9/9
71-85 Left leg (1) 5/5
86-00 Right leg (1) 5/5

Biological Upgrade Points / Spent
2/1

Structural Upgrade Points / Spent
0/0

Weapon Upgrade Points / Spent
0/0

Still need to spend some BPUs, and do something with my skills. So the two career ones are supposed to be common lore (apparently "berserkers" are knowledgeable people) but I honestly can't think of anything Jack would know. I might just drop them, no big deal

I don't know much about the combat system, dodge just seemed like a good idea since my Eva is made out of paper. So should I ditch it and rely on the AT field instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekman View Post
I don't know much about the combat system, dodge just seemed like a good idea since my Eva is made out of paper. So should I ditch it and rely on the AT field instead?
It's your call, and like you said Unit 04 needs whatever survivability it can get. If you don't plan on spending those AT field points on Neutralizing the enemies' field then perhaps you can get away with it. If you foresee a final showdown where, somehow, yours is the last Eva standing and you need to Neutralize the enemies' AT field on your own, then it would be a bad choice.

It's noteworthy that the bonus to Unit 04's Agility from the Lightweight Chassis at least gives you the best Dodge roll on the team right now. If you think that you're likely to have an AT field strength of at least 4 or better on a consistent basis though, that's just as good if not better for you, until you come across something that can ignore or neutralize your AT Field.

Your first order of business should probably be to spend 1 Biological Upgrade Point on a Toughness characteristic upgrade, which gets you +5 Eva toughness and bumps up, well, a lot of stuff. Not only will your wound totals change but keep in mind that your Toughness bonus (ie. the 'tens' digit of your T) is applied as a negative modifier to enemy damage totals along with your Armor. So...at Armor value 1 and Toughness bonus 3, every successful attack against you would lose 4 points of damage. That's less then it could be, but it's something.

...I probably need to put up a thread that explains the basics of Dark Heresy combat...

As for your skills, just take Common Lore: United States (you watched the local news once or twice, right?) and Common Lore: Science, which in a pinch might let you gin up an awkward jury-rigged solution to something broken. You never know.