If only this were a movie

Old Jul 7 '10, 4:04am
The red clover

If only this were a movie

If Only This Were a Movie - Forum
D20 Modern
Ad Closes: Jul 16 '10
Estimated Members Requested: 6

This will be a Burn Notice style game, where the characters are ex-anything now working to solve people's problems with their special skills and make ends meet.
Six is the maximum number of player I will take. The minimum is 3.
Character sheets will be generated after being accepted. Put you applications in the Applications thread in the game forum.
It will be either 4d6b3, or 34 point buy, which ever is better. You will be starting at either level 1 or 3, though that doesn't really matter for part 1.
The home city will be San Diego, though it will move around a bit. My current plans include trips to San Francisco and even New York.
Once characters are accepted, more recent backgrounds will be worked in, where the characters explain relationships. Perhaps there are two brothers in the group? Or two characters are shagging each other. More likely everybody is just friends with somebody who knows a guy.
The game itself will be very episodic. there will be sort of an over all story, but the more in the moment problems, getting the mob to lay off so you can get paid and buy some food, will take the forefront.

Game Description:

Your career is over, you've been burned, your money is gone and your credit is so far down the toilet you would need a snake just to touch it.
Your car is gone, and you're not even sure what city they left you in. You have a lot of useful skills,for a criminal, no job references, and you're about as close to the age you were in college as you were in Elementary school. You need to find some kind of work, and fast.
In steps an old Friend, Alejandro Chavez. He promises work, that is in the grey spectrum of the legality chart, a place to live, and whatever you need to live. All you need to do is work for him.
You showed up for your first job, a couple of your friends to help out, and he gave you the package. That's when things went south. More south that before anyways.
He got shot, and his backup got arrested, though you got away Scot free. Problem is, now the police are searching for that package, and another man has come to your attention. He calls himself MR. Saint John. He has pretty much the same offer, work for his firm, helping people get rid of their problems, and he'll pay you. Best part, he's in the thick of it with you.

My Grandfather died (7:55, October 7 2010)
I'll miss you Abuelo Duncan

Last edited by Krennel; Jul 7 '10 at 5:54am..
Most excellent. Character app incipient.

Edit: Are we starting at level 1?

Burned supposes you were in the employ of the (a?) government. How about other people on the run with new identities and no way to support themselves. I'm thinking an ex-NYC mobster in witness protection after confessing only he gave witness protection the slip too. He's a decent guy, and mostly regrets what he's done. He'll also kneecap you if you yank him around. Since he doesn't have any references or a diploma he can show off the choices were WallMart or working the shadier side of the law and maybe working jobs that'll ease his conscience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weishan View Post
Burned supposes you were in the employ of the (a?) government. How about other people on the run with new identities and no way to support themselves. I'm thinking an ex-NYC mobster in witness protection after confessing only he gave witness protection the slip too. He's a decent guy, and mostly regrets what he's done. He'll also kneecap you if you yank him around. Since he doesn't have any references or a diploma he can show off the choices were WallMart or working the shadier side of the law and maybe working jobs that'll ease his conscience.
Well the burned part is just sort of standard (the premise of the show is the main character is a burned spy trying to get back in, hence the name Burn notice). I like your idea, and it could definitely fly.

I know Burn Notice. Problem is, being burned is a very special case and only happens to people in Intelligence. You only burn someone if a public trial would disclose too much information/be hugely embarrassing and you don't just want to kill them for whatever reason ('offing a spy who's gotten out of line or you don't like is much easier and cleaner, and folks like the CIA don't really care about things as silly as ethics and laws) Also, a spy as a 1st level character strains belief.

Might I also suggest using vitality/wound points?

Also, it's open to debate, considering characters aren't even going to be made until I accept people.
I'm unfamiliar with the wounds vitality thing. Sounds like the serenity wound stun though.

I want to put in some interest in this game.

Except I have a slightly different idea .. I don't want to play the Burned Spy; I wanna play the Burned Spies buddy that helps out where needed.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a freelance hacker that has occasionally helped out (insert Burned Spy) in the past on the more electronic areas of espionage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debhaal View Post
I want to put in some interest in this game.

Except I have a slightly different idea .. I don't want to play the Burned Spy; I wanna play the Burned Spies buddy that helps out where needed.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a freelance hacker that has occasionally helped out (insert Burned Spy) in the past on the more electronic areas of espionage.
As I said, you aren't necessarily the burned spy, you are a person who has been shunned by their former organization. They can also be on the run.
Sam Max in the series is a former SEAL, but he is shunned by the FBI. Fiona is on the run from Irish terrorists.