Notices

Just Like Clockwork: Scene VII -- Caelan, Erin, Ilkin, Rakesh, Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
"Oh..." she muttered to herself and only herself, "I see..." Rose reached out a hand and ruffled the mans hair ignoring anything as trivial as personal space. "You were the dog!"
The half-Indian man, it turned out, had a very intense gaze. It was this curious combination of collected, chilly calmness overlaid over a virtual whirlpool of smouldering emotion. It was a rather predatory kind of gaze, really. It was also currently a rather irritated gaze. Then Rakesh's eyes did something unusual. They shifted from Rose to GeGe. This was unusual because no one could see Gege. Normally. The blue eyes regarded GeGe for a few moments before returning to Rose.

"Indeed, Ms. Rose." Rakesh said in that polite-but-not-actually-nice way some people had. "I was. My name is Rakesh Morgan. Pleasure to meet you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Erin, slow down --- you did what to the Devourer?" Robert sat up from the sofa and stared at Erin. It did not take a genius at interpersonal relationships to realize the questions going through his mind. Something to the tune of who's bright idea was it to let her go?! was likely near the top of the list, however. "I must still be asleep. No I'm not. Hell."

"You get used to this after a time." Rakesh said helpfully.

"So... let me get this straight. Gary Fletcher, our beloved director, is funding the film with money from the Mafia, namely, some guy named Wormwood. And Aleksander and Sergei, who are working for Wormwood, killed Colin and some others with an Awakened... what... weapon, artifact?" Robert looked at the Mage for confirmation. "How do the nightmares fit into this?"

"The Russians were using a ghost, actually. Bound into a clockwork brain in the Curio Room, the Schafer Movement." Rakesh supplied. "The Russians appear to have been merely surveillance and body-disposal."

"Great. And now this Wormwood is coming tomorrow... and Erin, you think the crew should all stay home..." Robert said, pausing for a moment. "Because you were told it was going to be dangerous by--"

"Did you say Isengrim?" Hammond leaned forward and peered at Erin. "As in the wolf?"

Ben helped Erin get the clock in and shoved the monstrosity off in a corner.

Meanwhile, Ilkin smirked at Rose's antics and Rakesh's terse response but covered it up by fixing the motley crew some tea. The Mage supposed since Rakesh had just been harassed by the stripper he wouldn't just happen to find some dog hair on the floor.

"Tea?" he offered the werewolf instead. "We have beer if you'd prefer." He grinned, then made his rounds.

"It's a device that summons a ghost that can use Awakened magic," Ilkin clarified, "High-powered Mind Arcanum." He paused and weighed something in his head. "I called some members of the local Consilium. The Awakened have an Order called the Guardians of the Veil. Their job is to keep Awakened magic and artifacts out of the hands of people that should not have it, like Aleksander, Sergei, and Wormwood. They are Awakened police, if you will. It is important they get notified."

He finished preparing his tea and sipped. "I agree with Ms. Lamothe," he said soberly, "I believe it will be best to keep the crew at home tomorrow, and the kill switch may save the lives of Mr. Adler and Miss Karlova. While I talked to you and Gary, two things stood out to me. First, the Devourer you built will play a prominent role."

Ilkin set his tea down and looked at each guest in turn. All of his normally relaxed mien fled and a grim darkness shaded his eyes. When an Acanthus felt perturbed about something, it was a matter worth paying attention to.

"And then Gary said it will 'knock them dead.'"

"Sodding hell," Ben grumbled.

"And save the lives of us as well." Cae turned from the window to face the odd bunch. "We are not going in there to see what this Wormwood thing is," she said sternly, but there was an undertone of adolescent desperation. "Whoever that vixen...tart was in Mr. Hammond's head, she and her mate will be hunting it there, and we don't want to get in the way."

She paused.

"Did you say Ysengrin?" She gasped. "Foxes! What the hell! Who is Mr. Isengrim, Ms Lamothe? Because that vixen in his head, that was a Fairest Changeling, I think, maybe like a...Korean ...fairy-fox...?"

Dice Roll: 7d10s8e10
d10 Results: 10, 9, 5, 2, 8, 7, 7, 7 (Total Successes = 3)
Encyc Knowledge
Dice Roll: 3d10s8e10
d10 Results: 8, 4, 4 (Total Successes = 1)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 5d10s8e10
Original Dice: 5d10s8e10
Occult+Int

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Kage View Post
"And then Gary said it will 'knock them dead.'"
"You don't think Mr. Fetcher is in on it, do you?" Erin asked, her antenna heavily drooping. "It's just, um, Dramatic Irony or something, right? I figured he couldn't know about it... but Mr. Isengrim said that Wormwood likes to use people." She twisted her fingers behind her back, looking up plaintively. "He wouldn't, though, would he? I mean, he and Mr. Meade worked together before."

"Mr. Isengrim's one of the Changeling hunters you told us about, miss. I don't think that's his real name. He was starting to say something with a 'W' maybe. Winston... William... Winnebago... Wendigo? Anyway, he was okay..." Erin begrudged, having still not forgiven him for refusing to tell her anything. "I found him in the basement with the Devourer. He wasn't interested in it, though, he was looking at the air vents. Hey, Mr. Rakesh, did you get a chance to look at those? I tried to be a good distraction for you." Erin bit her lip, her eyes twitching from right to left, obviously concerned that she'd failed in this somehow.

"The fox lady must be his 'missus' he kept talking about. They're not so mean. They just wanted to scare everyone off so no one would get hurt," Erin said with a cute little ignorant smile. "He even offered to move my clock for me. Ummm... he asked me to shut off the automatic fireman alert so no one would come and get hurt while they were hunting Wormwood. I think they've been... hired to kill Wormwood?" She twisted her mouth. "Hey, Mr. Clements, these magicians won't hurt the Changelings, will they?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkin
"Tea?" he offered the werewolf instead. "We have beer if you'd prefer."
"Tea." Rakesh said with as much dignity as could be mustered under the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkin
He finished preparing his tea and sipped. "I agree with Ms. Lamothe," he said soberly, "I believe it will be best to keep the crew at home tomorrow, and the kill switch may save the lives of Mr. Adler and Miss Karlova. While I talked to you and Gary, two things stood out to me. First, the Devourer you built will play a prominent role."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelan
"And save the lives of us as well." Cae turned from the window to face the odd bunch. "We are not going in there to see what this Wormwood thing is," she said sternly, but there was an undertone of adolescent desperation. "Whoever that vixen...tart was in Mr. Hammond's head, she and her mate will be hunting it there, and we don't want to get in the way."
"I'm hard pressed to guess how. It's a beautiful device, I'll be the first to admit, but it's a special effect. It's not actually a robotic centipede." Robert said, shaking his head. "We built the body on top of the chassis of a couple golf-carts. The chitin-armor is actually lightweight aluminum. The jaws are on pneumatic drivers, maybe... It looks terrifying, and it's meant to, but it's probably less dangerous than a normal car."

"Though the Mafia and changelings alone is reason enough to keep people home." Robert Hammond said. "How? I can call the special-effects crew, tell everyone to stay home, but only Fletcher can shut down filming all together. And most of us don't have contracts, a lot of people won't risk losing their job."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Hey, Mr. Rakesh, did you get a chance to look at those? I tried to be a good distraction for you." Erin bit her lip, her eyes twitching from right to left, obviously concerned that she'd failed in this somehow.
"I did. He was definitely interested in the air-vents." Rakesh said, sipping the tea. "They're rather large in such an old building. Quite possibly one could move through them, if you weren't very large. But I believe Isengrim was trying to seal them shut with hammer and nails. Not having a great deal of success either, I must add."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelan
"Did you say Ysengrin?" She gasped. "Foxes! What the hell! Who is Mr. Isengrim, Ms Lamothe? Because that vixen in his head, that was a Fairest Changeling, I think, maybe like a...Korean ...fairy-fox...?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
"Mr. Isengrim's one of the Changeling hunters you told us about, miss. I don't think that's his real name. He was starting to say something with a 'W' maybe....The fox lady must be his 'missus' he kept talking about. They're not so mean. They just wanted to scare everyone off so no one would get hurt... I think they've been... hired to kill Wormwood?"
"A fox and wolf together..." Robert Hammond said. His face grew a little paler. "I think I may know them. Or of them. The Venatores. They're privateers. Or maybe Loyalists. The Autumn King's sworn to see them dead."

"I do not think the Guardians will bother the changelings," Ilkin murmured. He considered Robert's comment. "But if they're privateers or Loyalists, I might." The Mage was no changeling -- his tenure in Arcadia had been entirely different. But he was familiar with Changeling politics and Changeling issues to know what privateers and Loyalists meant to the Freeholds.

"I doubt Gary is involved with Wormwood's scheme, either. He's an unwitting dupe. 'Knock them dead' is just a film term."

Ilkin drained his teacup. "None of you have met Wormwood have you? I wonder if he is a Changeling. I can't think of another reason why privateers would be hunting him."

Cae regarded Erin and Robert. "Oh, so it is not quite what I thought. She's some...yeah, Korean fox thing. She was practically bleedin' out gorgeous from her face, but she had these big, fox eyes. And she likes liver, I think. But with Isengrim? Huh." She didn't think the wolf from the medieval stories would chase anything called Wormwood. He was usually set against a fox called Reynard.

Then she shrugged at Ilkin. "I don't know. Do Changelings hunt anything else not human?" she asked doubtfully.

Dice Roll: 3d10s8e10
d10 Results: 6, 8, 2 (Total Successes = 1)
Int+Occult

"Aside from other changelings, not usually," Ilkin replied. "The Gentry usually go after normal people or Changelings. Normals because the Gentry always wants playthings, Changelings because all the Changelings have escaped from the Gentry." The Mage's lip curled up in a sneer just slightly at the mention of the Gentry and their dirty doings.

"Fae logic is not always so clear-cut, though," he explained, "The True Fae don't always do things that make sense to us. Still, if privateers are involved it means the Gentry are somehow interested."

Ben shook his head and plopped down in one of their armchairs with a beer. "You spend an awful lot of time with fairies," he muttered, "Too much time."

The Obrimos drank a large gulp of beer. "The privateers might not, but the Guardians would," he said, "Well, if those people are mis-using Awakened magic, anyway. It's kind of their job, you know? Magic police. They make sure our magic is used properly or something." He gestured with his beer can. "I'm Free Council, so what do I know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoTiamat View Post
"How? I can call the special-effects crew, tell everyone to stay home, but only Fletcher can shut down filming all together. And most of us don't have contracts, a lot of people won't risk losing their job."
"There were some scenes that needed filming out in the park but... nothing's stopping them from just calling Wormwood and telling them that's where they are. Mr. Isengrim said he was fated to show up tomorrow. I don't know how strong that is. Unless we... I dunno, stole Mr. Fletcher's cellphone... and everyone else's cellphone... and broke all the payphones...." She bit her lip.

"We could try to shut down filming for the day. I could shut down the Devourer... sorry Mr. Hammond... but it was my job to fix it so you won't be in trouble for it..." she said, visibly trembling. She perked up at a stray thought, seemingly glad to have found a problem in her plan. "But there's a few scenes that don't need it. Just shutting down the Devourer won't be enough."

"I don't think Mr. Fletcher will be willing to cooperate without drastic measures," she added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoTiamat View Post
They're privateers. Or maybe Loyalists. The Autumn King's sworn to see them dead."
"They're nice," Erin protested in response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Kage View Post
"None of you have met Wormwood have you? I wonder if he is a Changeling. I can't think of another reason why privateers would be hunting him."
"Ummmm... no," Erin piped up. "I saw him on the first day of filming. He's an ugly, pockmarked man in a suit. I didn't see him any differently." She paused. "He didn't sound like a changeling at all..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We're hunting monsters."

"What kind of monsters? This doesn't seem like a place monsters would come to," Erin had asked, despite the entire evening's evidence to the contrary.

"You'd be surprised." Isengrim said blandly. "Smart monsters. The kind that doesn't die if you cut them, that just keeps going and going and rips your head off if you look at them cross-eyed. You might want to stay home tomorrow, miss. Safer for you."

Erin shuffled through the wiring - seemingly at random, but most of what she did was - looking for the wires to the automatic fire system. "How do you know they're coming tomorrow, sir?" she asked curiously, her antenna tapping a fuse box idly.

"The missus has an inside-track with Fate. She says Wormwood's going to be here tomorrow, Wormwood will be here, even if no one's told the old bones about it yet." Isengrim leaned against a door-post and peered at what Erin was doing with genuine-seeming curiosity.

"Wormwood..." Erin murmured, recalling the illuminated manuscripts of the Library. "The Fallen Star...?"

"That's what he calls himself. Heard tell some American gave him the idea." Isengrim said, shrugging. "Right nasty piece of work, but he'll fetch a good price."

"People buy Fallen Angels?" Erin asked, her feelers tracing a clump of wires, attempting to see what they connected to.

"Lamb, people will buy anything and anyone, including you or me." Isengrim seemed to find this very funny, and his howling laughter echoed off the walls.

"What does he look like?"

"I've never seen him myself, to tell you the truth, but hear to tell he's this pockmarked chappie, almost as ugly as me. So see, I've got two reasons to get rid of him. I don't want any competition either." Isengrim grinned like a wolf, showing off entirely too many teeth, and a jaw that seemed to unhinge just a bit.

Oh!" Erin squeaked in recognition, pausing halfway through rummaging through dangerous looking wiring. "The man in the suit! He is really ugly," she agreed, with a childish giggle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hmmm." Erin thought about it for a moment, after she had relayed the conversation. "I guess he did sound like a Privateer," she said, showing absolutely no sign of concern or revulsion over this.

Quote:
"Indeed, Ms. Rose." Rakesh said in that polite-but-not-actually-nice way some people had. "I was. My name is Rakesh Morgan. Pleasure to meet you."
For some reason GeGe was in his glory! Rakesh had looked at Rose and suddenly the nude dancer wanna-be had changed his fingers to an Ace, King, Queen, Jack and 10 all in the Heart suite. Not really remembering her poker referances she was SURE it meant something, just not how good of a soemthing. "Dear god.. you really are turning into a homo..." That was the second time GeGe had gotten hot and bothered by one of these guys tonight.

While GeGe fanned himself, as if he was a 64 year old woman having a hot flash during bingo, Rose sipped her tea standing abnormally close to Rakesh, GeGe's subconscious influence and excitement at being seen steering her indirectly.

Quote:
"And then Gary said it will 'knock them dead."
"Bumbumbum." Rose was compelled to mutter under her breath.

Quote:
"Who ever that vixen... tart was-"
it was a good thing she had been drinking tea at this moment or she would have called the pale woman a bitch before hearing the rest of the sentence, thinking the comments were dirrected at her
Quote:
'was in Mr. Hammond's head, she and her mate will be hunting it there, and we don't want to get in the way."
Rose had come into all this randomly from the outside, stupid twilight network tip, and was trying to piece together what she could while listening but was failing at both.

1) A Devourer was some form of centipede monster made up of golf carts that was supposed to be "really scary". She wasn't sure how scary something that's top speed was 10 miles an hour could be but everyone was insisting on its fear level.

2) There was a wolf named Isengrim and his lady fox lover who were going to eat worms or Wormwood or something like that. That part she didn't find important enough at this point.

3) This Ilkin fellow had ties to the Magic Cops, she wasn't sure what to do with this knowledge but being in her line of work it was always important to remember who knew the legal authority 'just in case'.

4) She was the only one in the room who didnt know what a 'Changeling' was. Rose would have to google it later and maybe ask around the 'Random Ass Dead' Forum she belonged to for her Krew. Also add Privateers, Loyalists and an Autumn King, to that search.

Quote:
"Unless we... I donno, stole Mr. Fletcher's cellphone... and everyone else's cellphone... and broke all the payphones...."
Unintentionally Rose leaned her elbow on Rakesh's shoulder, after all he was the closest thing to lean on and she was to busy focusing all her attention on trying to keep up with these people and there insanity talk "Hey," she pointed at Ilkin forgetting his name and her manners "You know how to do... stuff... right? Can't you guys just, I dunno, whip up a snow storm or something?" To someone who had no understanding of magic, mages, or Doppler Radars this sounded easy enough and seemed to make sense.