Just Like Clockwork: Scene VII -- Caelan, Erin, Ilkin, Rakesh, Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelan
Cae stared at the grizzled image of Wormwood. "So then what the hell is he?"
"Your guess is as good as mine." Seventeen said with a grimace. "One of the most depressing facts about becoming a Guardian is learning that we are not, contrary to popular rumor, omniscient."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkin
Ilkin looked at the want-ad and then looked up. "Has anyone been able to reach him sympathetically?" he asked, "We have a name and a photograph."
"It's been tried." Whim said. The green-haired young woman spoke as someone who knew first hand. "Near as I can tell, either the picture or the name aren't actually his. Maybe even both. Which means... what, I don't know."

Quote:
"Schafer was a watchmaker's daughter," Ilkin said, "She died almost 200 years ago now. She was part of the Nameless groups and your Order has been trying to keep her works under wraps ever since. Until tonight I knew nothing about what her creations did, exactly. But now I can see why the Guardians want them removed."
"Hippolyte Schäfer was a genius." Seventeen said, his voice quiet. "She was probably one of the most innovative mages of her generation. Not the most powerful, perhaps, but she was a genius. She was also crazier than any Abyss-worshipping Scelestus."

"Most of her life, Schäfer was a brilliant, innovative mage, a revolutionary who tried to liberalize and equalize Awakened society. A Moros, as a matter of fact, like our epilepsy-inducing Whim over here." Seventeen said with a quick grin, which Whim returned with a cheerfully obscene gesture. Seventeen continued. "The problem was that Frau Schäfer ultimately decided that what was keeping her back from the Supernal was her own inherent weakness. She made mistakes, she forgot things, tiny human errors. The problem was that Schäfer's idea of solving that was to stop being human. She tried to become a machine."

"Clockwork brains. Like the Schäfer Movement." Whim said. The young mage looked grave. "The problem was that she was a good enough researcher and scientist that she experimented with them first."

"Which, unfortunately, involved kidnapping homeless vagabonds from the streets of Geneva. Supposedly she replaced her own brain, but still kept up her research." Seventeen said. "The Guardians caught wind of it and moved to put her down. The ultimate battle was... very ugly, I'm told."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
"Um... what does the Shafer Movement do?" she asked. "Aside from summon a ghost? Why does the Clockwork lady remove people's brains?"
"I hadn't heard of a ghost before, but... if it's Schäfer's ghost..." Whim offered hesitantly, "Maybe she's trying to continue her research?"

Quote:
She rubber her forehead. "At least...can the Guardians do something about keeping the human employees safe?" The pale young vampire questioningly eyed the motley crew of 'mage police.' They did care about humans, didn't they?
"We'll try. Cu, I think this one might be one for you." Seventeen said, then paused, looking at you more seriously than he had before. "I'll be honest, paradoxical as this might be for a Guardian to say. If we're going after Wormwood, we'll need all the help we can get. To put it bluntly, if you, if all of you, can help me, then maybe we can get this bastard for good."

"The security cameras in the room had sensors to pick up spiritual activity," Erin told the guardians, rubbing her chin with one tendril finger. "They must have known that the ghost didn't kill us, but they didn't do anything about it. Sergei didn't even come after me when I was alone in the basement afterward." It had looked like she was alone, anyway, which was close enough. "I think Wormwood will be expecting us."

"Miss Rose, can you tell us why you tapped the Shafer Movement exactly? Did you see anything? It's just... if they were just getting rid of witnesses it seems like shooting them would be easier..." she trailed off, not really able to take the thought further. She suspected they were feeding the Clockwork Ghost for something, but had no evidence or line of logic to back it up. Certainly it was weird, but if you were a murderer and had a Clockwork Ghost, why wouldn't you use it to commit murder? It would boggle the police forensics department and more importantly, you got to kill people with a Clockwork Ghost.

"I could describe the other victims if it would help," she offered instead. She patted the giant clock. "They hid them inside this. The Russians always took the bodies away to dispose of them at 1AM on a Saturday... do you know of anything special at that time? There was Mr. Meade, and a small red-headed woman, and a teenager from a fast food place named David." She bit her lip. She suspected they'd ordered a fast food delivery to lure the teen in, which was somehow worse than just normal murder in Erin's book. "I was going to check out where he worked on my lunch break tomorrow."

"I am so glad I am Acanthus," Ilkin murmured, "Crazy Moros sound like they should be in the movies I make." He grinned and winked at Whim. "Interested in a part?"

"More seriously," the Acanthus sank deeper into his chair, "I was right in my notes. The whole bloody thing would make a phenomenal movie. Might even make A-list. And at the same time it's bloody terrifying." He exhaled and rubbed his forehead. Still, it didn't take a Mastigos to see that the movie producer was actually thinking about his future plans.

"All right, then," he said, "I have a sympathetic connection to Gary and I can look up his picture on the Internet. Give me some time, I can try to twist Fate so he shows up several hours late. That'll keep him out for a while. If we go to where the Russians took the bodies, I can find out what happened to them."

Ilkin smiled wryly as a stray thought floated into his head. "You said the cameras can pick up spiritual activity, Ms. Lamothe?" he asked, "Do you know if that is true for all cameras?" The Mage glanced at Whim. "I know you're Moros." Then to the other two Guardians: "Are either of you Thyrsus? Or maybe you, could do this, Rakesh. We could distract them by summoning spirits or ghosts, perhaps get the spirits to act like they are seeking vengeance for the three deaths or some such thing. It might give us some cover, I think."

Rose was staring at the picture of Wormwood squinting incredibly hard to try and make him look less ugly. She was very pleased that she had been right that he was a person.

Quote:
"Miss Rose, can you tell us why you tapped the Shafer Movement exactly?"
"What?" She paused and looked up surprised, she had been to busy squinting that she didn't realized she had been talked to. It took her a moment or two to catch up with what was asked

"I didn't touch the stupid brain! GeGe was really into the tapestry, well destroying it anyway." she said offhandedly waving the flier as if to brush the fact that destroying a museum piece was illegal. "I just wanted to distract him and was going to slam on the organ until the stupid Russian reject was all 'Oh, louk at dis brain. It iz so vonderful and moreh interestingh! Look how I touch eit for you." the second it started ticking he got paged on the his walkie or whatever and had to go away."

GeGe's curiosity trickled to her wondering if this was what was actually what happened, the stupid geist had been so busy lately he was missing out on what was going on half the time.

Rose thought for a moment, "Yeah, no, he..." she paused scrunching her face to help her remember "was actually standing there chatting it up about the stupid thing until he was paged. If I knew the language they were saying I would know for sure what he was asked but what was said made him pissy and he said he was needed down stairs." Rose squinted at the green haired Whim now, simply because she was the brightest colored thing in the room. "I wonder how they timed that and what kind of excuse he would have made for himself if he hadn't been paged."

She idly scratched her leg while the Ilkin guy talked.

Quote:
"We could distract them by summoning spirits or ghosts, perhaps get the spirits to act like they are seeking vengance for the three deaths or some such thing."
Rose pursed her lips and stared at Ilkin for a moment. "You know, as much as ghosts are up my alley, I wish I could help but the only thing I have is half a naked stripper with card fingers" she wiggled her own as if to make the point clearer "and a hole in his chest. So they would have to have cut a naked man in half for him to be useful and I kinda have to fall asleep to do it."

Rose caught herself slowly reaching out to her couch companion as GeGe's subcontions pushed her to caress her new friends. For some unknown reason he was getting increasingly obnoxious and wanted to touch everyone now! She couldn't comprehend what he was thinking! "These new friends of yours are going to think were creepers if you don't cut it out." whispered angrily.

Cae kept glancing to the window. It's still dark, stop it, she berated herself.

"Okay," she said, readjusting her focus to Ilkin, "but will all that -- ghosts and making Gary late-- will that keep out the humans?" she asked, skeptical. It seemed she wouldn't give up on this, yet she wasn't offering any better ideas.
She hugged her arms to cold frame, looking somewhat abject. "We really need a way to lock out the people," she insisted.

Quote:
"I could describe the other victims if it would help," she offered instead. She patted the giant clock. "They hid them inside this. The Russians always took the bodies away to dispose of them at 1AM on a Saturday... do you know of anything special at that time? There was Mr. Meade, and a small red-headed woman, and a teenager from a fast food place named David." She bit her lip. She suspected they'd ordered a fast food delivery to lure the teen in, which was somehow worse than just normal murder in Erin's book. "I was going to check out where he worked on my lunch break tomorrow."
"One in the morning on a Saturday... there's an off-duty incinerator somewhere?" Whim offered after a moment.

"Or a regularly scheduled boat or train, perhaps?" Rakesh suggested, having stopped his pacing to loom near the window. For someone who wasn't actually all that tall, he had a good loom. "It depends, I think, on what they're doing with the bodies. If disposal, it might mean an incinerator or graveyard unattended, or even just a quiet time at a pier. If they're still doing something with the bodies, it could be anything."

Quote:
"I am so glad I am Acanthus," Ilkin murmured, "Crazy Moros sound like they should be in the movies I make." He grinned and winked at Whim. "Interested in a part?"
"I can do crazy." The green-haired girl said with a broad grin, wiggling her fingers in the air.

Quote:
"All right, then," he said, "I have a sympathetic connection to Gary and I can look up his picture on the Internet. Give me some time, I can try to twist Fate so he shows up several hours late. That'll keep him out for a while. If we go to where the Russians took the bodies, I can find out what happened to them."
Quote:
"Okay," she said, readjusting her focus to Ilkin, "but will all that -- ghosts and making Gary late-- will that keep out the humans?" she asked, skeptical. It seemed she wouldn't give up on this, yet she wasn't offering any better ideas.
She hugged her arms to cold frame, looking somewhat abject. "We really need a way to lock out the people," she insisted.
"Keep the director off the set all day, and I'll handle the rest." This was the grizzled man at the back. Cuchulain. It was virtually the first thing he'd said since he'd arrived. "If you can get me his cellphone, that would help, but just make sure he doesn't appear on the set."

"The doppelganger routine." Seventeen explained for the rest of you. He grinned briefly. "Despite the fact that his personality was surgically removed upon entering the Guardians, Cu is a Thyrsus, which to those of you who are not mages means he's a Life-mage. He does shapeshifting. So if you keep Gary from interfering, Cu can just send everyone home as they arrive. If you get a cellphone or contact list, even better."

Quote:
"Are either of you Thyrsus? Or maybe you, could do this, Rakesh. We could distract them by summoning spirits or ghosts, perhaps get the spirits to act like they are seeking vengeance for the three deaths or some such thing. It might give us some cover, I think."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
"You know, as much as ghosts are up my alley, I wish I could help but the only thing I have is half a naked stripper with card fingers" she wiggled her own as if to make the point clearer "and a hole in his chest. So they would have to have cut a naked man in half for him to be useful and I kinda have to fall asleep to do it."
"Plausible..." Rakesh said after a moment, then cast Ilkin a look. "Though I am forced to ask whether we need more unknown variables in this situation."

"I can do ghosts, no prob." Whim said. She cast a wink at Rose. "Though mine aren't as unique looking."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
"Yeah, no, he..." she paused scrunching her face to help her remember "was actually standing there chatting it up about the stupid thing until he was paged. If I knew the language they were saying I would know for sure what he was asked but what was said made him pissy and he said he was needed down stairs." Rose squinted at the green haired Whim now, simply because she was the brightest colored thing in the room. "I wonder how they timed that and what kind of excuse he would have made for himself if he hadn't been paged."
"Via cameras, perhaps?" Rakesh suggested. The werewolf ran a hand along his arm, idly running fingers over the scar on his shoulder. "Or some sleight of hand to turn on the pager yourself."

"I can probably make Gary oversleep," Ilkin said, "And make his commute hell. That alone probably won't keep him away all day. He's supposed to meet the man funding his entire production. We'll need something more." The Mage grinned aside to Rakesh. "Have anymore horse tranquilizers?"

He scratched his head. This little plot wasn't easy. Dealing with supernaturals was almost never easy. "We ought to cut power to the museum anyway," he mused, "The crew won't know about it until they arrive and I can get word to Gary. That might shunt him to the park. If you prefer, I could even rendezvous with him. I'm supposed to meet him today anyway, so I try and keep him in check. He'll be more agitated about meeting Wormwood than anything else."

The vampire seemed about to jump onto the ceiling she was so fidgety.

"Fine. Good morning to you all," she said abruptly. "Fancy I'll see you tomorrow..."

Cae didn't bother to shake anyone's hand. She merely turned on her heel and marched toward the stairs, though it was rather odd the way the shadows in the hall attached to her. Or didn't.

There was something about that girl. Sometimes it was so obvious she wanted to disappear that she simply did.

Dice Roll: 10d10s8e10
d10 Results: 5, 5, 4, 3, 10, 3, 2, 6, 1, 9, 9 (Total Successes = 3)
Obfuscate, Cae's default!

"We'll have to do something about those Russians," Erin said, biting her lip. "There's nothing stopping them from calling Wormwood if something goes wrong... do you think he'd run, or come to 'take care' of us? He's put a lot into this movie... we'd better not let him get anywhere the real Gary."

She shuffled her feet and looked down dejectedly. "I guess we're going to have trouble with the Venetores..." she said, her antenna drooping.

"Miss Whim, Mr. Rakesh... could you look over this clock? As soon as I get it open..." Erin made a face at the lock. "They wiped it down with Windex, but there might still be something left... maybe a hair... I have a UV light if it'd help, to pick out where blood was. Do you think if you found something you could find where they took the bodies?"

"..does anyone know where I can find a mannequin really fast?" Erin changed subjects, completely out of the blue.

Quote:
"I can probably make Gary oversleep," Ilkin said, "And make his commute hell. That alone probably won't keep him away all day. He's supposed to meet the man funding his entire production. We'll need something more." The Mage grinned aside to Rakesh. "Have anymore horse tranquilizers?"
Quote:
"..does anyone know where I can find a mannequin really fast?" Erin changed subjects, completely out of the blue.
"Yes, we never did use the tranquilizers... I'll check to see if they have an expiration date but they should still be good." Rakesh said, in what might best be described as a 'please don't ask me for the details'. "And I have a mannequin. It's a department store mannequin with some iron hinges and such, would that do?"

Rakesh had many interesting things in his home.

Quote:
"Miss Whim, Mr. Rakesh... could you look over this clock? As soon as I get it open..." Erin made a face at the lock. "They wiped it down with Windex, but there might still be something left... maybe a hair... I have a UV light if it'd help, to pick out where blood was. Do you think if you found something you could find where they took the bodies?"
"I'll take a look, sure thing." Whim said, giving Erin a bright smile. "I'll see what I can find out."

"Right then... Whim, see if you can search for bodies. Cu, keep the crew off-site. Marduk, keep the director occupied." Seventeen said briskly, standing up and twirling his cane for a moment. "I'm not certain what the young disappearing lady will do, I assume sleep."

"Erin and I will handle the power for the Museum. And... I don't even want to know what's going on with the mannequin. Not going to ask." Robert said after a moment.

"Unless anyone else needs me, I'll get Ms. Lamothe the mannequin and stay at the museum. Just in case." Rakesh said.

"And I shall coordinate. Cu, give me a call when Wormwood arrives, and then I'll contact the rest of you." Seventeen said cheerily. "I do believe this meeting is adjourned."

"Contact?" Rakesh said with one raised brow.

"Magic, my friend." Seventeen grinned. "Magic."