Ashley Saunders (Legal Identity), Cassandra Rivière (Real Name?)
Cabal: The Hierarch's Mercy
Affiliation: Guardians of the Veil, Harbingers
Paradigm: String-magic / Ideation and sympathy
Born: 1983 (stopped aging in 2007)
Long-Term Aspiration: To become immortal (or specifically, to find a way to preserve her mind and personality indefinitely).
Background: For someone so seemingly young, Whim has done a very thorough job of cutting away all links to her past. Cultivating mystery as though it were rose-bushes, Whim draws a veil of silence and misinformation over anything to do with her life prior to arriving in Britain. Still, for a sufficiently dedicated investigator, a few facts can be learned.
- Whim was born in 1983 in the United States, and lived most of her early life in the American South. She's of French Creole extraction and can slip from a vaguely generic British accent into a nigh-indecipherable Creole patois at will. Of her family or her parents Whim says nothing other than cryptic comments to the effect that they would not have approved of her current lifestyle.
- Whim arrived in Britain in 2001 on a student visa to study drama, and stayed in the country after dropping out some six months later. These days, Whim lives under the name of Ashley Saunders, and mostly survives off of odd jobs (research assistant, bartender, tourist guide) and some help from her fellow Guardians of the Veil. Presently, Whim lives in a cheap tenement in Camden as Ashley Saunders. She lives alone, her only companion being a three and a half-foot long snake named DC, a Water Moccasin that serves as her familiar.
- Already Awakened when she arrived, Whim sought out the Guardians of the Veil promptly upon coming to London, and has since positioned herself as a competent agent with a distinct lack of squeamishness. While still young and low-ranked, she's been noticed favorably by the Hierarch of London, one of the Guardians of the Veil. The day may come, not so far off, when Whim becomes the leader of one of the Guardians' Labyrinths.
- Whim is heavily involved in the local goth and heavy metal scene. She works twice-weekly as a bartender at Lucifer's, a faux-Satanist club in Lambeth, and unless on a job for the Guardians she can usually be found there or at some other club in her off-time.
- Whim maintains an on-again, off-again relationship with a brawny young man named Jayce Fortier, a fellow Creole expatriate, former Sleepwalker, and current Revenant who works as a bouncer at Lucifer's. Jayce died in a shoot-out when Whim was fourteen, taking a bullet to the jugular, and the Moros has been reviving and fixing him regularly in the years since. He's a comfortable presence, big, loyal, and not overwhelmingly bright.
Storytelling Hints/Personality: Understanding death, Whim embraces life. This is the key to understanding just what drives Whim forward. Like most necromancers, Whim holds a distinctly un-romantic view of death as a concept. It is The End, the end of pleasure, the end of vitality. It is rarely pleasant, usually messy, often frightening and painful. It comes without warning and without mercy.
This gives Whim a somewhat off-kilter perspective on what is important in life. For the time being, Whim wants, above all else, to enjoy herself. If life is so impermanent, why not take pleasure in it while you can? And so Whim parties the night away, losing herself in flesh, dancing to the music. She's young, she's pretty, and she's willing to try just about anything – or anyone – once. Whim is a social creature, and she revels in companionship.
This is not to say that Whim lives entirely in the present. On the contrary, Whim takes an unusually level-headed view of the future, impermanent and uncertain as it may be. God helps those who help themselves, after all, and so Whim plans out her life quite carefully, obscuring her past and securing her future with the Guardians of the Veil. She's ambitious, really, in that very pragmatic sense of knowing what she wants and fully intending to get it. She's quite protective of her body and her health, and takes full advantage of the fact that several of her friends are Life mages.
Likewise, it would be wrong to consider Whim completely immoral in her search for pleasure. She can be ruthless, certainly, and there is an under-current of power-hunger in her soul. But she's also a person who genuinely, truly likes other people. She's friendly and inimitably cheerful for a necromancer, with a piercing sense of humor. And life's just more fun when you have friends, isn't it?
Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 4
Physical Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 4
Social Attributes: Presence 5, Manipulation 4, Composure 3
Mental Skills: Academics (Research) 3, Craft 1, Investigation 3, Medicine 2, Occult (Necromancy x2) 4, Politics 3, Science 2
Physical Skills: Athletics 2, Larceny 2, Stealth 2
Social Skills: Empathy 3, Expression (Music) 4, Intimidation (Control Ghost) 4, Persuasion (Make a Deal) 5, Socialize 4, Streetwise 3, Subterfuge 4
Merits: Anonymity 5, Contacts 5, Familiar (DC) 5, Language (Creole French; Native is English) 1, Resources2, Sanctum 4, Status (
1+Well-PaidHarbingers) 1, Status (
Well-Fed, Well-Paid, Support GroupGuardians of the Veil) 3, Striking Looks (Gorgeous Goth Angel) 2
Where the Bodies are Buried; Disciplined; Pull; Tithe
Lair: Small Camden Flat
Wisdom: 6; +1 Support Group
Universal Banes: Paradox, Paradigm, Nimbus (Corpse-coloration & stitched lips and flesh)
Personal Banes: Blood Magic; Disruption (Salt)
Armor: 5/5 (Mage Armor)
Mind Shield: 7 (Mind Shield+Disciplined)
Mysteries: Flesh ●●●, Lore ●●, Mind ●, Passion ●●●●●, Soul ●, Space ●●●●, Twilight ●●●●●
Magical Tool: Wavy-Bladed Knife (Twilight 4: Control Ghost) 4
Mana/Per Turn: 15/5; +2 Starting (Sanctum 4, Tithe -3, Well-Fed +1)