Old Jul 11 '10, 6:25am
a false dichotomy

Arkham Unleashed, Issue #1: Horror Vacui

Arkham Unleashed - Forum
FactionRPG
Ad Closes: Aug 7 '10
Estimated Members Requested: 10

Arkham Unleashed, Issue #1: Horror Vacui

The Joker killed most of Gotham's mob bosses but has been captured himself. Batman is wanted as the villain behind the murder of Harvey Dent, and there is a huge power vacuum in the city. Now the escapees from Arkham Asylum, among other groups that have been lurking in the shadows, have an opportunity to seize a piece of Gotham for themselves. But this is also the first chance the people of Gotham have had in a long time, perhaps ever, for the city to be cleaned up once and for all. What does the future hold for Gotham City? Decide for yourself.

This game will begin shortly after the events that occurred in The Dark Knight and will have the same tone as the movies.

MechanicsThe game will be played using FactionRPG v3.8. Don't worry if you've never heard of the system before as it's something I've designed myself over the last two years. We're going to be using the latest iteration and there might be a few kinks to work out. If you have any questions about the system, please feel free to ask them here so that everyone can benefit from the answers. If anything in the documentation is unclear, please let me know so that I can fix it.

Factions will begin the game with 12 BP. Batman, Wayne Enterprises, and the Gotham Police Department, if they are represented by players, will begin with additional BP. The game will begin with some free space and some unaligned assets, meaning that there will be a lot of room for growth for those willing to take risks.

The game will be split into issues, each consisting of a short plot arc that will last between three to five turns. These issues will cover a spurt of activity from all factions, and between issues a period of relative calm will occur. Each faction will be awarded 1 SP and 1 BP between issues. Keep this pacing in mind as you plan out your actions.

After players are accepted but before the game begins, each player will be required to come up with at least three conflicts with other factions that they need to be on the winning side of.

Application Format: copy & paste the following in this thread

[B]Faction:[/B]

[private=naturax]

[fieldset=Leadership]What is the "word on the street" about your faction, how you operate, and what your goals are? In reality, what is the paradigm are you trying to impose on Gotham? How do you deal with those that oppose your paradigm?[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Representatives]How does your faction typically communicate with other factions? Provide a narration of your contact point from the perspective of another faction's representative that tries to contact your faction. This is the most important part of your application, as strong writing skills are the first thing I am looking for in potential players.[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Assets]List your starting build assuming you start with 12 BP, using [URL="http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/FactionRPG#Starting_Assets"]the format described in the documentation[/URL].[/fieldset]

[/private]
[B]Second Choice of Faction:[/B]

Application DeadlineI will accept players into the game on the evening of August 6th.

Posting Rate ExpectationsEach player can have a private thread with every other player, which means that the game moves quickly and there is a lot going on. You need to be able to post at least five times a week in order to keep up with a FactionRPG game.

Current Applications

Game Description:

FactionRPG game set in the continuity of the recent Batman films.

Issue #1: Horror Vacui

Last edited by Naturax; Aug 15 '10 at 1:05am..
How cannon are you looking for this game to be? I'm interested in playing Poison Ivy, but all I know about her is that a chemical accident caused her to be able to control and empathize with plants, and she now wishes to overthrow humanity so that plant life can thrive. The rest I'd make my, and she would thus be very non-cannon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzet View Post
How cannon are you looking for this game to be? I'm interested in playing Poison Ivy, but all I know about her is that a chemical accident caused her to be able to control and empathize with plants, and she now wishes to overthrow humanity so that plant life can thrive. The rest I'd make my, and she would thus be very non-cannon.
From the earlier interest thread I have come to understand that cannon is, more or less, out the window.

What I'm taking from the movies is the situation (power vacuum) and tone ("super" characters rely on training and technology). I was thinking about using Poison Ivy specifically as an example, actually.

So, for one thing, empathizing with plants doesn't mean that she actually talks to them. She either thinks she does, or at the very least, puts their wellbeing above any animals in the city - making her the eco-terrorist type. She can also have access to all sorts of awesome science, like poisons in all shapes and sizes, and maybe she puts bugs/tracking devices in plants that people put in their homes/businesses. This is just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are plenty of ways to make it work.

I'm happy to brainstorm, and I'm sure plenty of other interested players would be too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by questions!
1; Can we put down requests for NPCs? People we'd like to see as neutral assets, if not being played. 2; Is their an upper cap on how powerful a starting asset can be? I didn't spot one in the rules, but thought it best to check.
1. Absolutely!
2. No cap. You can start with a single, 12-value public asset if you wish. It will probably have a huge target painted on it, though.

I'd like to put down a request for Firefly as an NPC. Minor villain, but an interesting one, and fits the theme I think.

I'll make these decisions after I accept players, since someone might want to use 'em as an asset.

I'm unable to resist, since I was a little kid I've loved Batman... I would love to take on the role of Gotham's Dark Knight.

I am expecting more than one application for Batman, so I've added a field in the application for potential alternate factions. If I like your application but decided to give someone else your first choice of faction, you'll get accepted as your second choice.