Old Jul 12 '10, 5:13am
The Gamefather

One Adventure at a Time

One Adventure at a Time - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Ad Closes: Jul 18 '10
Estimated Members Requested: 1

Greetings!

This is an advertisement for a campaign based on the WotC series of modules from H1 to E3. I have dubbed the campaign “One Adventure at a Time.” Even though they will be the separate modules, I will try and string them together for an entire 1-30 campaign. Well, at least that’s the goal!

The caveat is as follows: I have a decent amount of DM experience under 3e and 3.5e rules. I play with one 4e gaming group in RL as a player. I have very limited PbP experience and none here on Mythweaver. With this in mind, I would like to propose that those who apply for this game have a lack of experience in either PbP games or with 4e and are craving to try it out.

The Players
I am looking for a group of five players and I will pick a few others to be backup players in case we lose anyone. I will choose one of each role (leader, controller, defender, and striker) from the applicants as well as one wild card. I would like applicants to have the ability to post at least once a day and perhaps more when there is a battle going on. If you haven't posted in two days or I really need to move the action along, I will take over your character's actions until you send me a PM that you have returned. If you are missing for more than two weeks without notifying me, then I will replace you with a backup player.

Characters
Abilities are the typical 22 point buy system. This is a heroic campaign, so no evil characters if you please. That, however, doesn’t mean that I run my campaigns in a rigid, black and white atmosphere. There are many shades of grey available to play as a PC, I just don’t want down-right maliciousness as a leading motivator. Starting gold is 100gp. I’ll allow one character background, just so long as it fits with your character.

Allowed material: Pretty much anything goes. I have the core books and several of the supplements. If I don’t have the source material, I can always borrow it from my gaming group. They have all the books if I remember correctly. Dragon magazine is OK to pull from, too. I would like to restrict 3rd party (non-WotC) material, however, unless you have a really good justification for it.

Please post your application in the following format:

Name:
Race:
Class:

Once I have the applicants chosen, I will allow you to parlay a bit and come up with a bit of party history for the purposes of role-playing. Actually, in regards to role-playing, I encourage it greatly and hope that the interactions between the players themselves as well as the NPCs shall be dynamic and entertaining.

The Game
Starts with WotC H1 module, The Keep on the Shadowfell:

Your group seeks news of their old friend and mentor, Douven Staul. The man who trained them for a life of adventure bade his friends farewell three months ago and headed for Winterhaven. Douven, a rabid explorer of old ruins, had found a map that revealed the location of a dragon’s tomb not far from the village. He figured if a dragon was buried there, why not also its hoard? The explorer should have returned some time ago, and his continuing absence bodes ill. Your party stops at his house to see if his wife, Lohraina, has heard any word of him. She confirms your worst fears as she tells you he promised to be home before their daughter’s birthday two weeks ago. You fear the worst and are determined to find out what happened to your mentor.

It is my goal to take a party all the way through to E3, Prince of Undeath. If we need a few buffer adventures along the way to raise XP or to pursue a divergent storyline, then I’m sure I can come up with something, too.

About Me
Like I said earlier, I don’t have a ton of 4e or PbP experience, but I am not a stranger to RPGs, especially D&D, which I have been playing for 25 years. I am a chef and a father of two great kids. Gaming of all types is my main hobby.

I will mainly be posting in the mornings and at night after 10pm PST (GMT-8).

I also will be having a little help from some more experienced posters here on Mythweavers who have already graciously offered their help in running this game.

I’m looking forward to reading over the applications. Good luck!

Game Description:

A game geared towards those new to 4e and/or PbP. We will be following the WotC module series from H1 to E3. The world base is the one in the PHB and DMG and will be centered mainly in the Nentir Vale.

Cast of Characters:
Seslin Ruer, an Eladrin Wizard
Eldora Fairhaven, a Half-Elven Bard
Fargrim, a Dwarven Cleric
Norfalcon Sandtracker, a Halfling Rogue

DMs:
Nestamon
Silverkiss

Last edited by Nestamon; Jul 12 '10 at 5:34am..
Oh another shifter...I was going with Razorclaw Seeker...

As it just so happens, I have a Dwarf Battlemind that I've been itching to play. Modified his background a bit so that he knew Douven Stahl. Let me know if anything else needs changing.

Name: Barakka the Wanderer
Race: Dwarf
Class: Battlemind

Hey there. I am also quite new to gaming on Myth Weavers. (I've mostly used it to keep char sheets for games on other sites). and i'd love to join. i've looked around and there are a few things that i might suggest:
1) you have to be aware that PbP is SLLLOOOOOOW. what a regular gaming group accomplishes in a few hours, might takes weeks (more likely months) in PbP world. your players should be aware of this as well, so they don't drop out.
2) look for ways to hurry things up. the most importent of course is everyone posting on time. however there are a few more things that could be done:
  • whatever rolls must be made, the DM should make ahead of time. this include initiative (to save the day+ of people rolling it), knowledge rolls, perception rolls (if needed. 4E tends to use the passive result) and so on.
  • have a detailed map. this is especially importent for 4E where powers have their ranges and areas determined by squares. i've seen games where there are map tokens for players and enemies, but i have no idea how that works.
  • since people don't necesserily post in the order of initiative (you can demand that they do, but this lengthens combat. it does however prevent many cunfusions and so on) they need to post possibilities: "if orc 1 is still alive, i attack it, but if it dies, i attack orc 3, if both are dead, or if player x is bloodied, i use power y"
  • battle tracker: a table that list everyone's initiatives, hp, and status effects (bloodied, stunned, and so on). this really seems to help thigns along. again, ask other DMs. these are usually reposted every start of round.
  • many complain about the length of 4E battles. some use the following fix, but be carefull about it- all enemies have half the hp, but cause twice the damage. overall you get the same drain on party's healing surges, but a battle can swing to deadly quite faster. this may be good or bad, depending on your style.
3) the Published adventures as they come are... well, most think they are fairly lacking, and therefor need some tweaking and adjustments. most forums mostly mention lack of interesting terrain, almost no skill challanges (or interesting use of skills), and fairly flat base settlements. i do not wish to discourage you, but maybe you could check out other games of these modules on other sites and see for yourself.
4) in your forum, make several threads- applications, place to post accepted characters, setting information, strategy planning, announcments and OOC stuff, and so on. various DMs do various things. check them out.

all of the above may sound like a bit of work. it is, but it also halps the game run much smoother, and more enjoyable.
next post i'll submit my character.

Application for Eldora Fairhaven

Eldora Fairhaven, half elf bard
Note: i purposefully leave some room for the character to develop, and so i write the essentials to give it a persona, but not a whole saga.

Hey I've got some experience with roleplaying in general but not much with 4E. I've been wanting to try it out but the DMs keep vanishing. In fact my latest attempt was with Keep on the Shadowfell, I think I still have my Halfling from that somewhere.

Here we go Corrin Reedson, Halfling Paladin Extraordinare (I hope he's not too corny to join the party):

Name: Corrin Reedson
Race: Halfling
Class (level): Paladin 1
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Short Description: Stocky and muscular, tanned skin, very handsome, long dark hair, brown eyes

I have to say I think some of my crunch may be wrong but I honestly don't know enough about 4E to determine that.

OK, this is a character concept I worked out back when I first got the 4e character builder. Just added a bit to his backstory showing how he knew Douven Staul, etc. The background will need some minor tweaking if he is selected for the adventure.

Name: Fargrim
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric (Pelor)
Personality:
Appearance:
Background:
Stat Block:

Seeing That there are no striklers yet, ill post a longtooth shifter two-bladed Ranger

Race: Longtooth Shifter
Class: Ranger
Name: Winter

Ill have the rest up soon

Will endeavor to get a dragonborn warlock up tomorrow some time. Any reason why I wouldn't be able to fluff the character as channeling his warlock attacks through his breathe?

FYI people, mythweavers has a 4e character sheet; it takes some getting used to, but once you have it filled out, look in the middle where it says 'Statistic Block'. click in there, control-a to select all, control-c to copy... then come paste it into your post here.

To give you all an example character sheet, here is one I made for another game. You'll note that I clicked where it says 'heavy armor', as he wears chainmail.

I've spiffified the sheet a bit, of course, and you can see where I added the color and bolding to my powers. and where I put spoiler info into the 'notes' section.

Hopefully this will help

Orchul Bloodbane, Half-Drow Ardent
Init +5 HP 65/65 Bloodied 32 Healing Surge 16 (0 used /11)
AC 20 Fort 20 Reflex 16 Will 20 Speed 6
Str 10 (+4) Con 18 (+8) Dex 13 (+5) Int 8 (+3) Wis 10 (+4) Cha 18 (+8)
Mantle of Elation
Mantle of Elation: You and each ally within 5 squares of you gain a bonus to damage rolls for opportunity attacks equal to your Constitution modifier. In addition, each ally within 5 squares of you gains a +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks. (If a character is in the radius of more than one Mantle of Elation, the bonuses are not cumulative. Only the highest ones apply to him or her.)
You also gain the Ardent Outrage power.
Mantle of Elation,
Ardent Outrage
Encounter ✦ Psionic
No Action, Close burst 5
Trigger: You are bloodied by an attack
Target: Each enemy in burst
Effect: The target grants combat advantage until the start of your next turn.
Ardent Outrage,
Ardent Surge
encounter (special) ✦ Healing, Psionic
minor action Close burst 5 (10 at 16th level)
target: You or one ally
effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain 1d6
additional hit points.
Level 6: 2d6 additional hit points.
Level 11: 3d6 additional hit points.
Level 16: 4d6 additional hit points.
Level 21: 5d6 additional hit points.
Level 26: 6d6 additional hit points.
mantle of elation: The target gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls
until the end of your next turn.
special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only
once per round. At 16th level, you can use this power three
times per encounter, but only once per round.
Ardent Surge,
Energizing Strike
at-will ✦ augmentable, Psionic, weapon
standard action melee weapon
target: One creature
attack: charisma vs. Ac
Hit: 1[W] + charisma modifier damage, and one ally within 5
squares of you gains temporary hit points equal to one-half
your level + your charisma modifier.
augment 1 (Healing)
Hit: 1[W] + charisma modifier damage, and one dying ally
within 5 squares of you regains hit points equal to your
charisma modifier.
augment 2 (Healing)
Hit: 2[W] + charisma modifier damage, and you or one ally
within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.
Energizing Strike,
Unnerving Shove
At-Will ✦ Augmentable, Psionic, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and you push the target 3 squares.
Augment 1: Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and if the target is dazed, you push it a number of squares equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier.
Augment 2: Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and you push the target a number of squares equal to your Charisma modifier. In addition, the target grants combat advantage to your allies adjacent to it at the end of the push until the end of your next turn.
Unnerving Shove,
Mindlink Strike
at-will ✦ augmentable, Psionic, weapon
standard action melee 1
effect: One ally adjacent to you can make a melee basic attack
against the target as an opportunity action. On a hit, you
and the ally can each shift as a free action.
augment 1
effect: As above, and the ally gains a +3 power bonus to
the damage roll if he or she is marking the target.
augment 2
Close burst 1
target: Each enemy you can see in burst
Hit: 1[W] + charisma modifier damage, and one ally adjacent
to the target can make a melee basic attack against it as an
opportunity action.
Mindlink Strike,
Virtuous Strike
Encounter • Divine , Radiant , Weapo n
Standar d Actio n Mele e weapo n
Target : On e creature
Attack : Charisma vs . A C
Hit : 1 [W| + Charisma modifier radiant damage, an d yo u
gain a +2 bonus to saving throws unti l th e star t of you r
next turn.
Virtuous Strike,
Wormhole Plunge
daily ✦ Psionic, teleportation, weapon, zone
standard action melee weapon
attack: charisma vs. Ac
Hit: 1[W] + charisma modifier damage.
miss: Half damage.
effect: You teleport the target a number of squares equal to
your Wisdom modifier, and then one ally adjacent to the
target can make a melee basic attack against it as a free
action.
The attack creates a zone in the space that the target vacated.
The zone lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature
that starts its turn within 3 squares of the zone is pulled 1
square toward it or into it. As a free action, you can teleport
a creature within the zone 3 squares.
Wormhole Plunge,
Fate Exchange
daily ✦ Healing, Psionic, teleportation
standard action Close burst 5
target: You and one ally in burst
effect: The targets teleport, swapping positions, and can then
each make a basic attack as a free action, with a +2 power
bonus to the attack rolls. For each of these attacks that hits,
you or one ally you can see can both spend a healing surge
and make a saving throw. If both basic attacks miss, you
regain the use of this power.
Fate Exchange,
Mind over Matter
daily ✦ Psionic
minor action ranged 5
target: You or one ally
effect: The target gains temporary hit points equal to his or her
healing surge value.
Mind over Matter,
Evade Attack
encounter ✦ Psionic, teleportation
immediate interrupt ranged 20
trigger: An ally is hit by an opportunity attack
target: The triggering ally
effect: You teleport the target a number of squares equal to
your charisma modifier.
Evade Attack,
Amulet of Bodily Sanctity
Power (Daily): Minor Action. You and all allies within
a number of squares of you equal to 2 + the amulet’s
enhancement bonus roll a saving throw against any
current ongoing damage effect.
Amulet of Bodily Sanctity,
Boots of Eagerness
Power (Encounter): Free Action. Use this power during
your turn to take an additional move action.
Boots of Eagerness
Notes