Old Jul 12 '10, 5:13am
The Gamefather

One Adventure at a Time

One Adventure at a Time - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Ad Closes: Jul 18 '10
Estimated Members Requested: 1

Greetings!

This is an advertisement for a campaign based on the WotC series of modules from H1 to E3. I have dubbed the campaign “One Adventure at a Time.” Even though they will be the separate modules, I will try and string them together for an entire 1-30 campaign. Well, at least that’s the goal!

The caveat is as follows: I have a decent amount of DM experience under 3e and 3.5e rules. I play with one 4e gaming group in RL as a player. I have very limited PbP experience and none here on Mythweaver. With this in mind, I would like to propose that those who apply for this game have a lack of experience in either PbP games or with 4e and are craving to try it out.

The Players
I am looking for a group of five players and I will pick a few others to be backup players in case we lose anyone. I will choose one of each role (leader, controller, defender, and striker) from the applicants as well as one wild card. I would like applicants to have the ability to post at least once a day and perhaps more when there is a battle going on. If you haven't posted in two days or I really need to move the action along, I will take over your character's actions until you send me a PM that you have returned. If you are missing for more than two weeks without notifying me, then I will replace you with a backup player.

Characters
Abilities are the typical 22 point buy system. This is a heroic campaign, so no evil characters if you please. That, however, doesn’t mean that I run my campaigns in a rigid, black and white atmosphere. There are many shades of grey available to play as a PC, I just don’t want down-right maliciousness as a leading motivator. Starting gold is 100gp. I’ll allow one character background, just so long as it fits with your character.

Allowed material: Pretty much anything goes. I have the core books and several of the supplements. If I don’t have the source material, I can always borrow it from my gaming group. They have all the books if I remember correctly. Dragon magazine is OK to pull from, too. I would like to restrict 3rd party (non-WotC) material, however, unless you have a really good justification for it.

Please post your application in the following format:

Name:
Race:
Class:

Once I have the applicants chosen, I will allow you to parlay a bit and come up with a bit of party history for the purposes of role-playing. Actually, in regards to role-playing, I encourage it greatly and hope that the interactions between the players themselves as well as the NPCs shall be dynamic and entertaining.

The Game
Starts with WotC H1 module, The Keep on the Shadowfell:

Your group seeks news of their old friend and mentor, Douven Staul. The man who trained them for a life of adventure bade his friends farewell three months ago and headed for Winterhaven. Douven, a rabid explorer of old ruins, had found a map that revealed the location of a dragon’s tomb not far from the village. He figured if a dragon was buried there, why not also its hoard? The explorer should have returned some time ago, and his continuing absence bodes ill. Your party stops at his house to see if his wife, Lohraina, has heard any word of him. She confirms your worst fears as she tells you he promised to be home before their daughter’s birthday two weeks ago. You fear the worst and are determined to find out what happened to your mentor.

It is my goal to take a party all the way through to E3, Prince of Undeath. If we need a few buffer adventures along the way to raise XP or to pursue a divergent storyline, then I’m sure I can come up with something, too.

About Me
Like I said earlier, I don’t have a ton of 4e or PbP experience, but I am not a stranger to RPGs, especially D&D, which I have been playing for 25 years. I am a chef and a father of two great kids. Gaming of all types is my main hobby.

I will mainly be posting in the mornings and at night after 10pm PST (GMT-8).

I also will be having a little help from some more experienced posters here on Mythweavers who have already graciously offered their help in running this game.

I’m looking forward to reading over the applications. Good luck!

Game Description:

A game geared towards those new to 4e and/or PbP. We will be following the WotC module series from H1 to E3. The world base is the one in the PHB and DMG and will be centered mainly in the Nentir Vale.

Cast of Characters:
Seslin Ruer, an Eladrin Wizard
Eldora Fairhaven, a Half-Elven Bard
Fargrim, a Dwarven Cleric
Norfalcon Sandtracker, a Halfling Rogue

DMs:
Nestamon
Silverkiss

Last edited by Nestamon; Jul 12 '10 at 5:34am..
Some great stuff so far!

@kol korran: Thank you for the tips, I appreciate it. I'm sure any others inexperienced with PbP will benefit from reading them as well. I think I have most of the things figured out. What I'm not sure about is how I'm going to handle the battle maps.
@DarkAbyssKeeper: That kind of fluff has no part in serious games! Just kidding - I think that would be pretty cool, actually.
@Joeluma: Yes, thank you for pointing that out.

Those applicants who have not done so yet should fill out a 4e character sheet and post the stat block that is generated from there. The stat block will include a link to your character sheet, so it makes it a little easier for me to glance over. Many thanks!

Name: Introduces himself as "The Chosen One", and continually refers to himself as "Chosen" until someone asks his real name.
Class: Chaos Sorcerer
Race: Drow

Seslin Ruer, Eladrin Wizard
Init +1 HP 20/20 Bloodied 10 Healing Surge 5 (0 used /6)
AC 15 Fort 10 Reflex 15 Will 14 Speed 6
Str 8 (-1) Con 10 (0) Dex 13 (+1) Int 20 (+5) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 12 (+1)
Light
At-will
Light,
Prestidigitation
At-will
Prestidigitation,
Magic Missile
At-will
Magic Missile,
Burning Hands
Encounter; close blast 5; Intelligence vs. Reflex, 2d6 +5 fire damage
Burning Hands,
Flaming Sphere
Daily; Ranged 10; Intelligence vs. Reflex, 1d4 +5 against adjacent; Move 6; sustain minor
Flaming Sphere,
Mage Hand
At-will
Mage Hand,
Cloud of Daggers
At-will; leaves obstruction
Cloud of Daggers,
Fey Step
Encounter; Move action, 5 squares
Fey Step,
Acid Arrow
Daily; Ranged 20; Intelligence vs. Reflex, 2d8 +5 and ongoing acid 5, secondary 1d8 +5 and ongoing acid 5 against all adjacent
Acid Arrow,
Freezing Cloud
Daily; Burst 2; Range 10; Intelligence vs. Fortitude; 1d8 +5, fail half; Lasts until end of next turn
Freezing Cloud
Notes +5 to saves against charm

Fellos, Dragonborn Warlock
Init +0 HP 29/29 Bloodied 14 Healing Surge 7 ( used /9)
AC 10 Fort 13 Reflex 11 Will 15 Speed 6
Str 10 (0) Con 17 (+3) Dex 10 (0) Int 11 (0) Wis 10 (0) Cha 18 (+4)
'Eldritch Blast', 'Hellish Rebuke', 'Dark One's Blessing', 'Warlock's Curse', 'Second Wind', 'Dragon Breath', 'Witchfire', 'Tyranny of Flame'
Notes

Stat-block, will edit in appearance/personality/background later.

Hello everyone, I'm one who offered to help Nestamon with 4e rules and with MW usage in general, so I'm posting here to let y'all know that I'm available for any questions you have, be them related to the system or to the forum. Of course I don't know everything there is to know about either, but I'll do my best to look for it even when I don't know. :P

Good luck to all applicants!

I'm interested. I'll post an app either today or tomorrow. I'm thinking either human wizard or goliath fighter.

Horinn Omson, Dragonborn Sorcerer
Init +0 HP 22/22 Bloodied 11 Healing Surge 5 (0 used /6)
AC 13 Fort 13 Reflex 10 Will 17 Speed 6
Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 11 (0) Int 10 (0) Wis 8 (-1) Cha 20 (+5)
Dragon Breath
As you open your mouth with a roar, the deadly power of your draconic kin blasts forth to engulf your foes.
Encounter ✦ Cold
Minor Action Close blast 3
Targets: All creatures in area
Attack: Strength + 2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Constitution modifier damage.
Increase to +4 bonus and 2d6 + Constitution modifier
damage at 11th level, and to +6 bonus and 3d6 +
Constitution modifier damage at 21st level.
Dragon Breath,
Burning Spray
You fling your arm in a wide arc, casting liquid fire at your foes.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage.
Level 21: 2d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage.
Dragon Magic: The next enemy that hits you with a
melee attack before the end of your next turn takes fire damage equal to your Strength modifier.
Burning Spray,
Lightning Breath
You exhale a blast of lightning at your foes. The lightning then forms a ring around you, repelling nearby attackers.
Daily ✦ Arcane, Implement, Lightning
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d8 + Charisma modifier lightning damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, whenever an enemy hits you with a melee attack, you push that enemy 1 square.
Dragon Magic: The enemy also takes 5 lightning damage.
Sustain Minor: The effect persists.
Lightning Breath,
Dragonfrost
A gust of frost hammers your foe and knocks it back.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Cold, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d8 + Charisma modifier cold damage, and you push the target 1 square.
Level 21: 2d8 + Charisma modifier cold damage.
Special: This power can be used as a ranged basic attack.
Dragonfrost,
Frostbind
Creaking ice envelops and hinders your enemy.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Cold, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d6 + Charisma modifier cold damage, and the
target takes a –2 penalty to Reflex until the end of your next turn.
Frostbind
Notes

This is the start of an application for a Dragonborn Sorcerer will add full background and personality tomorrow.

I think I've failed to understand the concept of a stat block... I just copypasted the whole crunch section...

Greetings. I would love to play through the 4e modules put out by Wizards. I have been in a couple games where we started the Keep on the Shadowfell, but they fizzled out almost immediately, so I really don't know much about the encounters and the plot. My character application is for a leader slot, with a sort of "savage" runepriest. The flavor for using his powers likely will focus more on ancestral spirits aiding him than the runes themselves, though I have included use of an ancient language and a rune-inscribed sword as his ancestral weapon. I have kept the background very general in terms of the setting and it definitely can be adapted as you see fit. Thanks!

Name: Rak-Norag
Race: Human
Class: Runepriest

Stat block instruction

Dire Lint (and others), here is a little bit of intruction on how to fill out the character sheet, and use the statblock option. i may forget soem things, and anyone who can please help out. as an example, i'll use my submitted character- Eldora Fairhaven:
1) you create a 4e character sheet through the "sheets" section. be sure to choose 4e. also, the name of the sheet should be the character's name.
2)now you start filling things out. some of the things the sheet fills up by itself. here are a few pointers though:
  • fill in the level box (top right) first. this enables the sheet to calculate all the "10+1/2" level immediatly
  • fill in the stats next, they will be accounted for in the defenses and skills portion.
  • you probably know what armor you're using, so fill in the defenses next. don't forget race and class! note that the "armor & ability" column does not know whether your armor is heavy or light, so you'll have to compensate here. In Eldora's sheet i know i'll be using chainmail and a light shield, so that's 7 for the AC, also bonuses from bard, and so forth..
  • while we're at it, check out the armor boxes (mid left) the speed penalty and check penalty get calculated in your speed and skills.
  • the boxes in the skills are for training. you'll see the figure change only after you press on something else. feat, background and race bonuses go in the misc column. check it on Eldora's file: i've put the bard versatility's skill adjustments in the misc, as well my background (+2 insight). the armor penalty is from the previous stage.
  • fill in whatever you feel is necessery in the race, class, feats, and equipment. if something has a numeric value, i suggest you write it down. true- it's easy to calculate, but if your DM needs to have a quick look or is playing your character while you're away, that will make his life easier.
  • you can fill in the attack and damage sections, but i never found them to be of any use. if you fill out the powers well, then it's no matter.
  • powers: first of all, you should fill this from top left down, and only then the right column. secondly, i'd suggest you begin with a basic melee and basic ranged attacks, for attacks of opportunities and whatnot. now look at the file- each power's title is surrounded by color coding. this is for the stat block (later) use green for at wills, red for encounter, and grey for dailys. also, put in the title which type of action this is- Std, Move, Min, free. this really helps look at your statblock later.
    don't just copy paste powers! well, you can, but once you've done do the claculations needed, make it simple to read. for example Eldora's Guiding strike power uses a weapon (long sword), and is based on charisma. so i wrote: attack- +7 vs AC, damage: 1d8+4. much easier for the DM (and yourself) to read. it's a bit of work, but it's worth it. if you can, try to simplify the "code of law" language to something simpler. now, when in combat you can click on the box by the power, and it will mark it as used.
3) you can fill out whatever else you want. w'ere going to the statblock- underneath the "defenses" block there is another block for conditions and so on. under it there is the statblock box. press "generate" (do this whenever you're posting the statblock and have made changes. now copy the entire code. now post it wherever you may need! hola- your character at a glance! you'll note that there is a "Notes" section, unfilled under the statblock. this is where you put all kind of things that the DM and other players should remember (especially if playing you). here goes the halfling's bonuses against AoO, the bard' bonuses to group diplomacy, special properties of magic items and so on. unfortunatly, if you put it in the stat box itself, it disappears whenever you generate a new one, so i suggest you save the notes somewhere else on your sheet to quickly copy-paste. (if anyone knows how to solve this, do tell).
for example:

i hope this helped,
Kol Korran.