Notices

Homebrew: Warglory, Marines - a WW2 fantasy

Warglory, Marines - a WW2 fantasy

Forward

Warglory is a game of soldiers, of fighting, of choosing either to follow the rules & survive or break them and earn a name, a reputation with life longer than yours.
Marines is set in Warglory’s fantasy universe, told not from the eyes of man but from those of the things he once believed in. It borrows heavily from old Norse, Slavic & German myth. Dvergr – the black elgi – are a formidable race often pitted against the wilder powers of man, fae, troll and monsters far across the many worlds of Yggdrasil linked by the spirit conduits of the World Roots. In this game it is the setting’s second Great War, fought with gun and bomb and bayonet, with armoured column and infantry, with air support and artillery. Strange magics bloody the mudfoot’s fight as players seek glory in the most terrible war yet between man & monster of a universe thick with peril.

This is an established game. I’ve been running it for over 3 years now; it has grown considerably from its bone-simple beginnings. There have never been hit points, nobody shrugs off bullet wounds and melee is as much about good writing as it is roll of the dice. Tactics revolve around fire and manoeuvre, with magic offering situational utility for those who pursue the sorcerous paths & ken the wielding of them.

Rules are simple and low on bookwork, designed always for forum play. Every shot can kill, every melee roll could incapacitate one or both combatants. Combat can be brutal and unforgiving; GMs are best to interpret events in a player’s favour when no mistake is made, but fools live fast and die young.

"Follow the rules to stay alive; to make a reputation, break them!" - The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell

Warglory - Marines

Base Rules

Character Creation

Gear & Armaments; the Official Marines Armoury

Reflex modifier applies only when a weapon is changed to that size, as it’s already factored in to its current modifier.

Oversize = Must deploy to fire, typically has a tripod or other mount.
Large = -5 reflex on snapshots, takes primary & secondary slots
Average = No mods, assumed when no size is mentioned
Light = +5 reflex on snapshots, can be a secondary, can carry more when a primary
Sidearm = +5 reflex on snapshots, draw in halfturn, works with offhand weapons

Adjustable sights = Permits calculated aiming
Scope = Grants +3 accuracy when any kind of Aiming is attempted, -1 when not, permits calculated aiming
Bipod = +4 Recoil OR +2 accuracy when deployed, doubles ranges (Detect 10+ for max 1500m vs lone targets, else 1000m)
Select Fire = Can select semi or full auto. Weapon can work as a 3 shot per turn semi-auto, regardless of it's burst ROF.
Jam Prone = particularly prone to sand & mud
Belt Fed = loose belts are prone to dragging in dirt, sand & mud; >5 turn belts are jam prone when not assisted by a loader
Brutal Recoil = Grit 4+ to ignore. Requires a Grit check to Hose full auto or attempt a Snap Shot (failure will break wrist/shoulder) & cannot attempt Cyclic rolls.
Unreliable = A nat 1 always jams
High maintenance = Armourer check between missions. If failed, gun is Unreliable.
Low maintenance = Affords a little more spare time between missions.

The above rules are the in-use version of 13th July, 2010

Post any questions, thoughts & interest as suits you. Like i say in the spoiler at the start, my intention is that others give this game a go - i've spent a great deal of time writing this as the game rolls along, enjoyed it immensely at that, and would rather it spread than just stay with my players & myself.

Use and magpie what you will with due credit back to myself. I'll be happy to help you make a game of it!

It seems to me that your system appears to be missing the Kings of the Battlefield. For that matter, you're missing the birds, too. And the iron chariots.

And missing what actually drives warfare, which is supplies.

Heya absent!

The game system is for infantry combat. I have done variants for tanks and other things besides.
Artillery, air support, tanks, naval gunnery and the vagaries of supply lines are down to the GM to supply, inasmuch as they play in the mudfoot's fight. Players have no direct control over these things - barring what they break or steal. It's a fun system & the players enjoy it.