Old Aug 14 '10, 7:12pm
Reality's Apprentice

Council of Thieves

Council of Thieves - Forum
Pathfinder - Golarion
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Post Applications in the Game Forum

Application Considerations
  • All characters must be from Cheliax and start at level 1. Preference will be given to characters who are specifically native to the city of Westcrown itself.
  • Background must include the character’s reason(s) for disliking the current government and for being willing to risk likely discovery and death for involvement with a resistance group.
  • Social skills and the mechanics supporting them will play an important role in the campaign.
  • Players who design characters around the classic game tropes of being heavily armed and armored at all times and who walk tall and proud among the locals may not find this campaign to their liking.
  • The majority of the campaign takes place in and around the city of Westcrown.
  • As an urban campaign, the law of the jungle most common to fantasy rpg’s does not apply. The rule of law reigns supreme in Cheliax and is enforced with malice. Consequently, many of the challenges faced by PCs will involve hiding and running from those more powerful than they. In other words, don’t assume the challenge rating of every encounter is balanced in favor of the party winning an armed conflict or that enemies are only made and faced while standing within arm’s reach of them.
  • Please peruse (or adequately skim) the Council of Thieves Player’s Guide, available as a free pdf from Paizo’s website before fully developing your application. Applications that make use of or reference information from this invaluable resource will be given priority.
  • Character sheets are not necessary for applying to play.
  • Please include the following details in your application:
Name
Race
Character Class
Social Class (see web link for information of Chelaxian social classes)
Family Background/Connections
You may develop this as you see fit, creating minor NPCs for parents, siblings, mentors, etc., but nothing extraordinary or involving NPCs named in published materials.

Game Description:

Thrown into chaos after the death of the god Aroden, Cheliax found a new spiritual guide to help tame the resulting lawlessness and destruction—Asmodeus. Dominated today by the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune, Cheliax is a land of inflexible order, like a rigid steel blade tempered in the fires of Hell. It is a land where nobility and virtue take second place to a ruthlessly imposed harmony. It is a place where talks of past glories are only whispered in the dark, where heroic ambitions are kept to oneself, and where normal people strive to blend into the safe anonymity of the crowd. It is here, in the country’s former capital of Westcrown, that the Council of Thieves Adventure Path takes shape.

The city of Westcrown needs concerned citizens to turn the tide of darkness and despair that grows upon it daily. It needs people who can balance discretion with conviction, boldness with prudence and compassion with justice. It needs a rare kind of hero, one who is able to hide in plain sight, content without recognition or fame, one who stands for restoring the glory of Westcrown while humbly tolerating its present abasement.

You might be such a hero, and that is why you received today’s invitation from an attractive, short-haired brunette who introduced herself as Janiven, to attend an early supper at Vizio’s Tavern.

Posting interest. The Paizo store is currently down so I will get my application together and up once I can download the players guide that you have suggested.

This sounds interesting - I've been wanting to try out Pathfinder. Would the SRD and the links you provided be sufficient for one to play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapstick View Post
This sounds interesting - I've been wanting to try out Pathfinder. Would the SRD and the links you provided be sufficient for one to play?
They're sufficient for nuts-and-bolts rules but not for the setting. For setting information, you can check out the Pathfinder wiki for a summary.

Cheliax, dude! It'll be okay!

...sorry, I've always wanted to say something similiar to that

Are you allowing advanced player's guide stuff in this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystmesis View Post
Cheliax, dude! It'll be okay!

...sorry, I've always wanted to say something similiar to that

Are you allowing advanced player's guide stuff in this game?
Yes, with some exceptions.

For instance, I'm using action points instead of hero points, with rules defined in the house rules section of the game forum.

I will also say that I'm still getting familiar with this book and may find that some parts of it don't fit the campaign well. I'll cross these bridges when I come to them however. In general, though, material from the Advanced Player's is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinity View Post
I mays be liking this here game...
Glad to hear that.

But please don't tell me that you're applying to play a gungan.