Old Aug 16 '10, 6:23am
Great Wyrm

Turning Tides: Adventures in the City on Water [3e]

Turning Tides - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Applications so far (See below for the game description):

The list so far:
Terra Firma. Player: Maceo. Last Edit Checked: Aug 18 '10 at 8:52pm. Status: Complete.
Great Grimaldi. Player: Eternal. Last Edit Checked: Aug 24 '10 at 3:59am. Status: Complete.
Elijah Austin. Player: Shazam. Last Edit Checked: Aug 18 '10 at 6:55pm. Status: Complete.
Archive. Player: Pundemic. Last Edit Checked: Aug 26 '10 at 7:15am. Status: Complete.
Ouroboros. Player: vingolf. Last Edit Checked: Aug 17 '10 at 9:10pm. Status: Complete.
Guardian. Player: Mick the Rogue. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 11:01pm. Status: Complete.
Patrick Sanders. Player: Kaitou Kage. Last Edit Checked: Aug 21 '10 at 11:46am. Status: Missing appearance.
Jasmine DeLuca. Player: Selene. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 3:53am. Status: Complete.
Meteorknight. Player: Hardwire. Last Edit Checked: Aug 21 '10 at 11:29am. Status: Complete.
Shadowthurge. Player: Drakos. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 1:26am. Status: Missing Lots of fluff.
Remix. Player: Mask_De_H. Last Edit Checked: Aug 22 '10 at 10:59am. Status: Missing Everything.
Matters of Fact. Player: Eldritch_Myrmidon. Last Edit Checked: Aug 22 '10 at 1:53pm. Status: Missing Background.
Blackout. Player: glacier. Last Edit Checked: Aug 25 '10 at 4:12pm. Status: Complete.

Please tell us if we're missing your app or if the one linked isn't the correct/last updated version. Also, if you edit the app itself (as opposed to just the sheet), please inform us so we can check it again.
I'd also appreciate if you keep your app in the same post. Makes it easier to locate later.

Game Description:

The City on WaterAt the point where three rivers meet and form a lake, there is a city which has seen better days. A bustling hub of commerce thanks to its fortunate location, it once had everything it needed to become one of the greatest cities in the world...but lost it at some point, replaced by something far more cynical, tired, and willing to turn an eye on what was wrong and needed to be righted. A grey funk descended over it as the men in power traded in their zeal and dedication to their duties for the cold comfort of cash, and those in charge of enforcing the law decided that helping break it was far more profitable. The men and women who were far too worried about surviving from one day to the next did not have time for such sordidness and violence, but even they were subtly affected by the decadence that settled into the area. Over time, the place they called their home sunk into darkness, a veil of apathy so thick it could almost be touched on a bad day. The city lost its name and with it its identity, and today no one remembers its former glories. Nothing has changed in years, and if people remain set on their current course, nothing ever will.

But the world has changed. It has seen times of darkness and times of joy, and it has never stood still. And soon, some of that sense of purpose will seep into this forsakened city once more. Soon, the time will come for the tides to turn...

Hello everyone, and welcome to the dark little underworld of the City on Water. Me and Illien, the instigator of this game, are looking for 4 or 5 players who wish to partake in a DC Adventures game, using the Third Edition Mutants and Masterminds rules. Below are some details about the game for those who wish to try their hand at bringing some hope to a town that has lost its aim.

That's all. The turning of the tides is in your hands now. Will the City on Water disappear into the mists of history permanently? Or will it finally become the grand place it should always have been?

-

Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; Aug 31 '10 at 8:27pm..
The cost problem is mainly because Dark080matter stated he wanted the effect to happen even on a miss (that means area or perception, so you'd either need to make the charge attack area so it can be linked, or make the affliction free action or reaction). If it's just on a hit, you can just take affliction linked to your charge and be done with it.

Hey Selene...am I misreading it or is your Phasing a reaction attack? You're gonna have to do some Quickness 20-backed fast talk to convince me to allow a Reaction attack that isn't even very heavily under your base damage. Additionally, you're missing an AP to ghost without doing an attack, which seems off, and a reasonable counter to the phasing. You'll have to include all of that.

EDIT: Oh, and your Reaction is massively undercosted. That extra costs +3/rank since you're reducing a standard action (as per the change the Attack extra makes to the power).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
Devastating Attack (Combat, Ranked): When making a specific attack (selected when you take this advantage), you may strike with enough force or precision to inflict an Affliction on an enemy. Select one Affliction per degree of failure (except for Entranced, Compelled, Controlled, and Transformed). You must take as many ranks on this advantage as the rank on your selected attack (so, for example, you'd take 5 ranks for a 5 damage punch, and would be able to add a DC 15 Affliction to that attack). Though you may add more than one Affliction to an attack by spending the usual number of points to acquire it, you may not apply two or more affliction at once: you choose which one to apply when making the attack.
Oh so that's an Advantage, as differentiated from a Power to handle the effect. Hmm, I dunno, either looks good to me. With regards to Incapacitation I intended for it to be an Instant Recovery so that the most a target would be out for is a round. Unless of course the Damage manages to knock you out on it's own, which is something else entirely.

In looking at the example of the Linked modifier from the book (page 130-131), it brings up Black Canary, who has with Canary's Cry "Two effects [that] are Linked, meaning the power’s cost is that of a Cone Area Damage effect (2 points per rank) added to a Cone Area Affliction effect (also 2 points per rank) or 4 points per rank." My confusion arose from the fact that Black Canary's Cry power makes no reference to a Will or Fortitude save vs. the Affliction. Re-reading the text for Linked though, it says that "If the effects have different resistances, targets check against each effect separately."

So to summarize, if I wanted to go for the 'disorienting near-miss' factor, I'd make it a Linked power at full cost (attached to, I guess, his Super-strength... with some kind of Drawback limiting it to Charge unarmed attacks only?). Then the other option is the Devastating Attack advantage Azerian offers, which would be however many points his Unarmed damage is (12 after the bonus from the armor) and would apply an affliction without a resistance check but which would apply based only on how badly the target fails it's Toughness check against damage. What would the target's recovery from that look like? If it's not an Instant Recovery, then I would hazard a guess that the Advantage might actually be undercosted for it's effect.

No, no, it'd use one roll to hit and then you'd roll the DC independently from toughness (so basically, you roll to hit, then roll for damage and effect against Toughness and Fort respectively). If you succeed, you deal damage AND roll, independently from how nicely or poorly the enemy rolle for toughness. If you don't hit, you don't roll.

And if you're going for Instant Recovery, Incapacitation's fine. So feel free to take it.

Okay, I have Patrick's background finished. I'm going to try and doodle something for his appearance.

I'm trying to decide what Avatars he'll have. I'm going to take one of the following sets:

Summon X (Controlled; Mental Link; Variable Type) -- I'd build a basic template for each avatar using most of the available points and then allow a small discretionary point fund (15-20 points) to be allotted when I summon the avatar.

-OR-

Summon X (Controlled; Mental Link; Other Avatars as Alternate Powers) -- This may be more cost-effective if I use fewer avatars.

Some thoughts on the Avatars:

Feedback Flaw: I don't want it in the standard sense. But I was thinking maybe a flat -1 drawback that causes Pat to suffer if his Avatar is destroyed instead of unsummoned.

Abilities: I don't think the Avatars have an Intellect score since they are extensions of Pat's mind. I am debating whether they have Stamina since they are psychic constructs. I could go either way on Stamina.

Emotions: Anger and Fear are easy choices. Anger would be a brute sort; Fear would be more focused on overt terror since its power is drawn primarily from Pat's pyrophobia.

I am debating what other emotions to use. Sorrow, Joy, Determination or Aggressiveness, Optimism, Contempt, Awe, and Love all seem like possible options. I will have to come up with some ideas for them.

Luck Control: The Avatars will be Pat's primary attack form, but his Luck Control should be able to help augment his avatars and his allies. I am thinking this power descriptor will have one or two ranged or perception damage powers, but the rest will be support. This would include things like a Dazzle (Oh Lord a flock of pigeons just flew in my face), maybe a couple Afflictions (Tried to *cough cough* swallow my saliva*hack cough* down the wrong pipe) on the bad luck side. The good luck side would have Enhanced Trait(s) (You stepped aside at just the right minute), Deflect (oops, one of those pigeons took the hit for me), and similar abilities.

He will, of course, have standard Luck Control and he'll have the Luck advantage maxed out (it caps at 5 at this PL right?). He'll probably have a couple of the Fortune advantages like Inspire and Leadership.

Basically I want his Luck to be more indirect so he has a reason to summon his avatars. If he can do all the damage just by dropping anvils on heads or sending debris from Topeka flying at someone, there's no reason to have the avatars.

Telepathy: Mind Reading is pretty obvious, but how would telepathic communication be built? I notice they don't have "Telepathy" in here anymore. In 2e it looks like it was a combination of Mind Reading and Communication. Would that still work okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
No, no, it'd use one roll to hit and then you'd roll the DC independently from toughness (so basically, you roll to hit, then roll for damage and effect against Toughness and Fort respectively). If you succeed, you deal damage AND roll, independently from how nicely or poorly the enemy rolle for toughness. If you don't hit, you don't roll.

And if you're going for Instant Recovery, Incapacitation's fine. So feel free to take it.
Ok, check this out. I went for the Linked option, because that lets me use an Area (Line) modifier which was an idea of Illien's that I liked. It's not gonna be the entire path of his movement necessarily, because the idea is that around the point of impact collision is the most dangerous part of the maneuver (when CT has completely given up safe steering in preference for a mind numbingly ill-advised full speed tackle). So for 30 feet in front of and behind the intended target, there's a trail of blasted terrain and dazed victims. Then, with Move-By Action accounted for, CT ends up two blocks away from the focal point of his attack, having finally decelerated.

Powers sectionSuper-Strength 10 -- (20 pts.)
-> Linked to Area (Line 2) Affliction 10 (Dazed, Prone, Incapacitated), Instant Recovery (-1/rank) and Limited to Slam maneuvers only (-1/rank) -- (7 pts.)

And then I'm going to add this to the Powers section under his suit as well:

Powers sectionImmunity 2 (self-inflicted Slam damage) (2 pts.)

So his Slam attack may be summarized thus:

Offense section
Unarmed +8 - Close Damage 12
Kinetic Slam +6 - Charging Close Damage 13/14, linked with Affliction 10 Line (60 ft. x 5 ft.)

Unmodified unarmed damage has been thrown in for comparison

Does this seem kosher?

Something like "take an automatic Hit and roll for a second Hit if an Avatar is destroyed", you mean? If so I think we can work something out.

On Stamina, I'd say they would if you wanted to Surge them through Extra Effort. Works best that way, tbh.

On possible Avatars, couple ideas:

A) Confidence: Focused on relentlessly and unstoppably overwhelming the opposition, step by step and without going either too quickly or too slowly.
B) Hatred: Bigass, all-or-nothing attacks that directly drain Pat. Effectively the "**** YOU" Avatar.
C) Insanity/Playfulness: This one explains itself, I think. :P
D) Egotism: Focused on mind controls and the like. Could probably create a nicer variant too.

On Luck Control, I heartily recommend Leadership for sure, and obviously the Luck feat is important. And yes, it caps at half PL.

On Telepathy...don't see why not.

PS: Must...destroy Topeka...ingame... :P

On our resident battlesuit...

No discounts on limits. That's not a limitation, since you were ALWAYS going to use it with slams due to Linked. So 20 points. Otherwise, kosher.