One quick question: what sort of characters are typical for the setting? I can get my hands on Sundered Skies soon enough but would like to start thinking about the types of character that are possible.
Just to name a few options I've seen in other games or thought of myself.
- Bounty Hunter: You hunt down Glowmad and put them out of their misery. Every one has a price on its head!
- Chosen: Some Drakin have the proper attitude to ascend to dragonhood. You are one of them. Often they are also sorcerers or priests.
- Boughbreaker: Some elves don't agree with the enslavement of the wildlings. You are one of them and you actively work to free the wildlings from enslavement.
- Common Folk: You're just one of the regular folk trying to get by in the world. Why did you join up with this crew?
- Songpriest: You are a priest of the god Festival. You try to bring joy and news to all ports of call. You can often get free passage on a ship.
- Hunter: You hunt down dangerous beasts and game for profit.
- Sailor: You've lived your life on a skyship and long to see the open skies - so long as you can avoid going glowmad.
- Scavenger: You delve deep into the ruins of the past, trying to recover ancient artifacts and treasures for profit.
- Engineer: You worship the Artificer or have a knack for creating inventions that have magical properties. Much like an Artificer.
- Escaped Wildling: You escaped the elven home island of Heartland with the help of the boughbreakers. Now you have to stay one step ahead of your former masters as you try to make a new life for yourself.
- Battlepriest: You worship the Battlelord and seek to both make peace and revel in combat. Perhaps you are a peacemonger, seeking to keep the fragile peace whole while privately seeking out smaller battles against evil.
That's just a partial list, but it should give you a good idea of what's available.
Well, just started another Savage Worlds game, and this looks interesting. Will probably see about getting Sundered Skies soon, but in the meantime, I've only played Deadlands. Are there new class options in Sundered Skies too?
Oh, indeed. It's a lot like Deadlands in that the core book offers all the spells, a bunch of new edges, the Gods of the setting, and new races. For those interested the races in the setting are: Humans, Dwarves (Fairly stereotypical, but they really like being engineers), Elves (totally different and the main faction are "evil" and oppressive. Elves in Sundered Skies are part plant), Orcs (fairly standard), Glowborn (goblins who went glowmad and got bigger, smarter, and stronger), Wildlings (the elves created small part-animal humanoids. They have traits from an animal - not so much anthro as minor abomination/slave race), and Drakin (small dragon people who can eventually become full blown dragons).
The spells are all found in the player's guide, as are the rules for Glowmadness (staying out in the void can literally drive you mad and then turn you into a horrific abomination), edges specific to the setting, and all the Gods of the Skies.
I'll put an application in - as it happens I'm on holiday from the 1st Sept for about 5 days with no access so if I get a slot then hopefully you are OK to let me pick it up once I get back?
Certainly. It usually takes a few days for me to get everything together anyway. I might even end up extending the deadline by a week or so if I feel that I haven't gotten enough applications.