Old Aug 22 '10, 1:03am
AKA: Save-vs-DM

Sundered Skies

Sundered Skies - Forum
Savage Worlds
Ad Closes: Sep 8 '10
Estimated Members Requested: 7

IntroductionStout Sailors Wanted!
Want to see the skies and earn a fair bit of coin for yourself at the same time? Been curious about the Shattered City and the untold treasures therein? Willing to work for your passage and brave dangerous ruins for the chance at riches? If so, seek out Karr Luckfinder at the Swaggering Dragon.

Equal shares of salvage for any soul brave enough to sail on the Second Chance in search the wreck of the Raven who foundered just outside the Sunken City. Danger and riches assured for those stout and skilled enough to aid in the process. Serious inquiries only.

About The GameThis is an introductory game for the Sundered Skies savage setting. It's designed to introduce the players to the setting and eventually preform great and heroic deeds. No prior experience is necessary to join this game, but familiarity with the Savage Worlds system is certainly a benefit. All players will eventually need to get the Sundered Skies Player's Guide, but it's an excellent and interesting book to own.

Most of the folks on the weave know me fairly well. I like to think that I run an exciting and fun game, but if you're curious you can certainly check out the other games I'm currently running. I'm open and welcoming to new players and if you're new to the weave I certainly won't hold that against you. I'll certainly answer any questions folks have in this thread as soon as I am able.

Application ProcessYou need to complete the following steps in order to be considered for this game.
  • Read the character creation rules and take note of my house rules.
  • Check out the application format thread. This post not only contains all the information you need to provide but can also be quoted for easy application.
  • Make a new post in the application folder for your character. I will be using this thread to discuss your application with you and to hammer out any problems before I select the crew.
  • You may ask questions about the game in this thread. I'll do my best to answer them promptly and to provide any help necessary to ensure your best chance at acceptance.
  • New players are welcome and encouraged to apply. This game does require a unique rulebook but I'm willing to help players without books so long as their general concept is sound and interesting.
  • I'm looking from five to seven active and interested players. Applications will be open until September 8th, after which I will make my decision.
  • Do not ask me for a free copy of the book nor offer to send them in this thread. It's in direct violation of our site rules and I'll promptly book anyone who attempts such a felonious deed.

Game Description:

The Sundered Skies began when another world died.

Millennia ago, a terrible cataclysm shattered a world. What remained was an unknown number of island floating in a fathomless void. Millions perished in the Sundering, and hundreds of thousands more died during the chaos that followed. Despite the horrors of these times, the races of elf, dwarf, man, orc, and drakin - aided by mostly benevolent gods - survived and flourish in this strange new world.

Now, skyships fly between islands, allowing trade, travel, exploration, and the salvaging of artifacts and material from the pre-Sundering age. Skyship crews face dangerous weather, pirates, and more, while scavengers of ancient ruins often face the undead and other, darker, creatures. The churches of the Skies bring together worshipers to pay homage to the gods. The powerful and bureaucratic Trade Council enforces a sky-wide peace, turning a blind eye to several small, clandestine wars continuing in the shadows. Meanwhile, mysterious and arcane secret societies hatch their baleful plans.

Sundered Skies is still a dangerous place. Do you have what it takes to survive?

Join us on IRC in #myth-weavers, irc.otherworlders.org

Last edited by Ruben; Aug 26 '10 at 9:59pm..
Hmmm. Well, I'm certainly interested.

Hm. I like Savage Worlds (you can tell, can't you? :P), I know you're a good GM, and this seems like an interesting setting, but I'm not sure if I've got time to join another one.

I'll think about it. If there's a space open at the end, let me know.

Well, think about it at least. Sundered Skies really is a fun and interesting system. It's one of my favorites, for sure.

I wouldn't mind getting into this. I am familiar with the Savage Worlds system despite never having actually played it and your ad and application format thread are so well organised I'm tempted to apply just to use that template!

One quick question: what sort of characters are typical for the setting? I can get my hands on Sundered Skies soon enough but would like to start thinking about the types of character that are possible.

Well, just started another Savage Worlds game, and this looks interesting. Will probably see about getting Sundered Skies soon, but in the meantime, I've only played Deadlands. Are there new class options in Sundered Skies too?

How serendipitous! Only a few weeks ago I was a dyed-in-the-wool D&D/Pathfinder player with limited experience of SW and no great opinion of it either way. Totally at random I applied for a slot in a Hellfrost pbp game knowing nothing at all about the setting. When I showed it to one of my friends he went to the TAG website and said 'looks good, but Sundered Skies looks even better!'. So, given we might be considering it as a potential game if our group ever gets back together, an ideal chance to see what it's all about - quite happy to go and buy the Player's Guide sight unseen as Hellfrost is really nicely put together. As of now all I know about it is what I can glean from the free preview so no definite ideas yet, but haven't yet tried a spellcaster so I'd look at that first as an option.

I'll put an application in - as it happens I'm on holiday from the 1st Sept for about 5 days with no access so if I get a slot then hopefully you are OK to let me pick it up once I get back?

Quote:
One quick question: what sort of characters are typical for the setting? I can get my hands on Sundered Skies soon enough but would like to start thinking about the types of character that are possible.
Just to name a few options I've seen in other games or thought of myself.
  • Bounty Hunter: You hunt down Glowmad and put them out of their misery. Every one has a price on its head!
  • Chosen: Some Drakin have the proper attitude to ascend to dragonhood. You are one of them. Often they are also sorcerers or priests.
  • Boughbreaker: Some elves don't agree with the enslavement of the wildlings. You are one of them and you actively work to free the wildlings from enslavement.
  • Common Folk: You're just one of the regular folk trying to get by in the world. Why did you join up with this crew?
  • Songpriest: You are a priest of the god Festival. You try to bring joy and news to all ports of call. You can often get free passage on a ship.
  • Hunter: You hunt down dangerous beasts and game for profit.
  • Sailor: You've lived your life on a skyship and long to see the open skies - so long as you can avoid going glowmad.
  • Scavenger: You delve deep into the ruins of the past, trying to recover ancient artifacts and treasures for profit.
  • Engineer: You worship the Artificer or have a knack for creating inventions that have magical properties. Much like an Artificer.
  • Escaped Wildling: You escaped the elven home island of Heartland with the help of the boughbreakers. Now you have to stay one step ahead of your former masters as you try to make a new life for yourself.
  • Battlepriest: You worship the Battlelord and seek to both make peace and revel in combat. Perhaps you are a peacemonger, seeking to keep the fragile peace whole while privately seeking out smaller battles against evil.

That's just a partial list, but it should give you a good idea of what's available.

Quote:
Well, just started another Savage Worlds game, and this looks interesting. Will probably see about getting Sundered Skies soon, but in the meantime, I've only played Deadlands. Are there new class options in Sundered Skies too?
Oh, indeed. It's a lot like Deadlands in that the core book offers all the spells, a bunch of new edges, the Gods of the setting, and new races. For those interested the races in the setting are: Humans, Dwarves (Fairly stereotypical, but they really like being engineers), Elves (totally different and the main faction are "evil" and oppressive. Elves in Sundered Skies are part plant), Orcs (fairly standard), Glowborn (goblins who went glowmad and got bigger, smarter, and stronger), Wildlings (the elves created small part-animal humanoids. They have traits from an animal - not so much anthro as minor abomination/slave race), and Drakin (small dragon people who can eventually become full blown dragons).

The spells are all found in the player's guide, as are the rules for Glowmadness (staying out in the void can literally drive you mad and then turn you into a horrific abomination), edges specific to the setting, and all the Gods of the Skies.

Quote:
I'll put an application in - as it happens I'm on holiday from the 1st Sept for about 5 days with no access so if I get a slot then hopefully you are OK to let me pick it up once I get back?
Certainly. It usually takes a few days for me to get everything together anyway. I might even end up extending the deadline by a week or so if I feel that I haven't gotten enough applications.

OK, have bought and skimmed the Player's Guide. Looks very interesting (as indeed do many of the SW settings - certainly an attractive point in its favour). A question about something that caught my eye and I'm considering developing as a possible character: do elves who travel away from Heartland take their wildling 'slaves' with them? I'm asking as I'm interested in the idea of the Boughbreakers, although in one section of the text it suggests that most of them work towards freeing wildlings from Heartland itself. Is a Boughbreaker PC (or at least one sympathetic to their goals) a viable option for the game if we are going to be travelling the void?